Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

New Flux - Fork Choices?

Well, I've done it. I bought my first turner. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my '06 flux (tnt rear). It's a bike i've wanted for quite a few years... and the right deal finally came along!

I'm replacing a Salsa El Santo, which currently has a 2007 fox talas rlc on it. I'm almost always riding the fork at 100mm, unless the terrain it particularly steep and nasty at which point i'll use 120mm.

The flux will come with a 2007 Rock Shox Reba Race, which to my knowledge is also a bit lighter than my talas. From what I've seen, this seems to be a pretty popular fork for many 4" bikes (f100 aside), and I am curious how others have built up their flux frames.

Would the versatility of the 32 Talas RLC outweigh the lighter weight of the Reba? Which fork will match the rp3's feel and the frame best? In short, what would your fork of choice be between the two?

Thank you! And a BIG thanks to all the beautiful turners posted on this forum that have tempted me for years.

Build details and picture to come!

Too easily annoyed.

nice...

nice choice on the Flux. You'll love it. As for the fork options - I would take advantage of owning both, ride the heck out of them, and see which you like better. The 120mm option may be nice for downhilling, but the bike rocks (and was built for) the 100mm setting. Let your usage make the determination.......

mtbr member
    I have an 04 Burner w/ a 426 revelation set at 115mm. It works perfect for me and these forks offer unlimited adjustability w/o the fox price. Fox forks are great but too pricey for my budget!

ride
    I've been thru a few Fluxes with different forks. I prefer the 100mm setting myself, sometimes a bit longer travel for steep descents. The Reba is a good fork and has a huge range of tuning options. The Talas does offer the versatility and is perhaps a little more laterally stiff. Morgan1819 has the best suggestion, though - ride it with both and pick your favorite. It isn't all about the weight.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thank you for the replies! I'll be sure to give both forks adequate ride time; I've only ridden a Reba on a Salsa 29er, but it was an excellent fork. I like the idea of the ability to fine tune a fork using +/- air chambers, and imagine with a 70* HA, the turner might be a blast to leave at 100mm.

Ride report to come soon... unfortunately not quite soon enough!

ride
    Fortunately for you, NWfreeride, the Reba does much better with 26" wheels. It's a little bit more flexy with big hoops. I had a Reba on a Flux for a while and thought it to be a pretty good fit at 100mm.

~dave
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    F100RLC is ideal. Reba 100mm is also ideal.

TALAS will okay as long as it is set at 100mm but will be heavier than the F100RLC or the Reba. Long travel on the Flux will result in stress to the frame.

PSI
    I want that one

lighter 100-140 options

Quote Originally Posted by xtr444
    F100RLC is ideal. Reba 100mm is also ideal.

TALAS will okay as long as it is set at 100mm but will be heavier than the F100RLC or the Reba. Long travel on the Flux will result in stress to the frame.
    i put a marz xc700 ata 100-140 mm on my flux to replace a f100 that i felt was a bit to short for all but flatland xc. it weighs the same as the the f100 so there is no weight penalty for the extra travel

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan1819
    nice choice on the Flux. You'll love it. As for the fork options - I would take advantage of owning both, ride the heck out of them, and see which you like better. The 120mm option may be nice for downhilling, but the bike rocks (and was built for) the 100mm setting. Let your usage make the determination.......
    +1

*the Reba rocks, though...
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    turner recommends 100-120. F120 on my flux rocks.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I've been running a Reba set at 100mm on my Flux since day 1. I had the Reba PUSH'd and it went from being a good fork to a great fork. Plenty stiff for what it is. I say keep the Reba and send it to PUSH.

mtbr member
    Talas RLC... 100 and 120mm stops. Perfect for the frame.

mtbr member
    I started my '07 Flux the lightest 100mm fork I could find, the Magura Durin (1480 grams). However, I felt that "endo comin'" feeling when the descents got nasty. It also did not feel as active as it should. Could juts been me.

Since I want my Flux as an all around bike, I wanted a fork that could crank down for climbing, move a drop up for comfortable XC without feeling too bent over and racey, and then open it up for the descents.

For me, the perfect solution has been the RockShox 426 Uturn Air 100 - 130. I use it b/w 100 - 120 ish. Very tunable. Looks great in white (the non- pop lok color) and is a breeze to set up if you play with it for a ride or two.

I am loving it. I got a great deal from the very nice folks at IndyBikeOutfitters. They had a killer Ebay deal but I called the store, dealt with a human, and got the same deal.

So for me, the adjustable travel brings out every aspect of the Flux's personality. Try it. You'll like it.

And if ya' don't...Ebay the sucker since you will have gotten it for such a steal anyway.

mtbr member
    yeah,
    I'm with yehudanachum, the revelation 426 dualie is an awesome fork. I run this same fork and could not be happier. It does look good in white.

mtbr member
    got a black 08 F100RLC slammed at my Copper 08 Flux... Looks good, feels good!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    in my book, the flux begs for a adjustable fork. i wouldnt have known this unless i paid attention to a convo with dt as i was orderin mine. like yedamunchkin said, it brings out the available personalities of the bike from its ability to climb the steepest steeps or rip the xc race flats and smooth climbs in 80mm mode, the way it can tame a buff decent in 120mm mode and its prowess to rip everything else to shreds in 100mm mode. anything less is a slap to the face of this incredible bike.

i think the talus rocked on mine but the rev has developed a good rep the last few years here. just keep it under 120 or risk pushin it too far into spotville and breakin the frame as others have learned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    I'm running an 07 Marzocchi Corsa WC SL on my Flux and haven't felt the need for a longer travel fork. That said my Flux is used mostly for racing and smoother trails and the Spot comes out for the rougher all day epics.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

Mt Wilson Motoboy

Burner / Flux

The 4" Turners work great w/ the Reba. Hardly any maintainance and foolproof setup.
    The Race model is stiffer and smoother than the Team although a bit heavier.
    I like the travel adjust feature on the climbs and the remote lockout is cool on sections where you want to grind standing up.
    Go get a Reba!

[SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

very nice pic! beautiful bike too.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

sweet!

Yeah, I'm with CC, that is a sweet ride.

aka DJ Papi
    tedroy -- that is a GORGEOUS FLUX!!! Way to go man!!!

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    I believe that is a Burner with a non stock paint job...
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

emrs has been drinkin the magura blood again so please excuse him. never the less, thats still a very good lookin burner. why is it that im likein red bikes so much these days? as a rule, i hate red. odd.....
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    emrs has been drinkin the magura blood again so please excuse him. never the less, thats still a very good lookin burner. why is it that im likein red bikes so much these days? as a rule, i hate red. odd.....
    Haha I'm usually the same but that Sangria red is awesome has some real depth to it um or maybe its the Magura blood thing
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thank you for all the input board! I'm already a big RS fan (love the totem solo air on the blindside) and I'm finding myself wanting the best of both worlds. I'd like the travel adjust of the TALAS, with the reliability and feel of the Reba. Perhaps I'll sell both... a u-turn air revelation/reba may be the key.

Pictures to come... and perhaps a few classified ads!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast