swag ho Administrator

New 5-spot report.

Finally got to ride the 5-spot. Amazing! It's like meeting my new best friend for the first time. It's so natural and effortless. Handling is flawless. Climbing is commendable too. The romic rear end doesn't bob that much even when I get off the saddle. I think my spring is a little hard at 450. (I'm 140 lbs) But since I'm new at this FS thing, it's a good setup for now.

This thing carves singletrack and floats through the air!!

Complete photos here:
    Saturday at Soquel with a coupla new bikes

francois

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Very cool pic....

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Finally got to ride the 5-spot. Amazing! It's like meeting my new best friend for the first time. It's so natural and effortless. Handling is flawless. Climbing is commendable too. The romic rear end doesn't bob that much even when I get off the saddle. I think my spring is a little hard at 450. (I'm 140 lbs) But since I'm new at this FS thing, it's a good setup for now.

This thing carve singletrack and floats through the air!!

Complete photos here:
    Saturday at Soquel with a coupla new bikes

francois
    I thought you had a Switchblade at one point. A fun bike! I'm really excited about the ride tomorrow...it is supposed to be 60 degrees and a little wet. Cool with me! Enjoy that red beauty.

Jaybo

mtbr member

nice action photos

Dude killer spot!!!! Where is that trail look sweet. My red spot is due this week cant wait.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I thought you had a Switchblade at one point. A fun bike! I'm really excited about the ride tomorrow...it is supposed to be 60 degrees and a little wet. Cool with me! Enjoy that red beauty.

Jaybo

Yes, I had a titus switchblade a couple of years ago. Great all around bike. I also played with about 10 full suspension bikes before then :0.

The comment about being new to this FS thing is more like I'm not used to it since I stayed on a strict hardtail diet for the last 2 years.

This is going to be a fun riding year. If only I can take more roadtrips! I got the time. It's just that my 1 year old and 3 year old are high-maintenance right now.

francois

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo5
    Dude killer spot!!!! Where is that trail look sweet. My red spot is due this week cant wait.
    The place is Soquel demonstration Forrest in Santa Cruz, CA.

Good luck with the red spot. It's the ticket to happiness this summer!!

francois

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Francios, great bike. I ordered mine a few weeks ago and it should be here in sunny so cal in a few long days. I was going to get some mavic xl rims but noticed you went for the sl's. I too weigh under 150 so i went with them as well. I have them on my blur and they work great. The pic is my bike at the shop ready to be shipped. Pretty funny that i live and ride a few miles from the turner factory but got my bike from a shop in west virgina. It is taking a 3,000 mile journey to go only a few miles. But when you ride a turner you always look for the longest and most technical way around things. My blur will be jelous but then again so will my wife. AAAHHH the sacrafices they must make in order for me to have fun. Life is great with a turner. L8er
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice pics. Where did you get the black spring?

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus
    Nice pics. Where did you get the black spring?
    I spray painted it with Auto Brake Caliper Paint from Kragen. Didn't have to prep the spring. I just lightly sprayed with about 8 coats. I don't think this paint will chip or peel.

francois

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer
    Francios, great bike. I ordered mine a few weeks ago and it should be here in sunny so cal in a few long days. I was going to get some mavic xl rims but noticed you went for the sl's. I too weigh under 150 so i went with them as well. I have them on my blur and they work great. The pic is my bike at the shop ready to be shipped. Pretty funny that i live and ride a few miles from the turner factory but got my bike from a shop in west virgina. It is taking a 3,000 mile journey to go only a few miles. But when you ride a turner you always look for the longest and most technical way around things. My blur will be jelous but then again so will my wife. AAAHHH the sacrafices they must make in order for me to have fun. Life is great with a turner. L8er
    Nice! "Turner - take the long way home."

I'm just happy I found this board since it allowed me to see the light. It's going to be a good year of riding! Those Crossmax SLs are probably he best combination of strength, weight, looks and versatility. Plus chicks dig 'em.

francois

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

... and if we just ... I came from a Switchblade also....

Yes, I had a titus switchblade a couple of years ago. Great all around bike. I also played with about 10 full suspension bikes before then :0.

The comment about being new to this FS thing is more like I'm not used to it since I stayed on a strict hardtail diet for the last 2 years.

This is going to be a fun riding year. If only I can take more roadtrips! I got the time. It's just that my 1 year old and 3 year old are high-maintenance right now.

francois
    I have changed bike frames more then most people change favorite pants. Silly me.

I think the Spot is the best FS bike I have ever ridden...for what I like. Very nice.

How do you stay at 140 lbs? I think I weighed that much in 4th grade. Laugh. I bet you can rock and roll on the trails.

Jaybo

Stand back

Mavic xmax sl's...

Those Crossmax SLs are probably he best combination of strength, weight, looks and versatility. Plus chicks dig 'em.

francois
    You're joking, right? Except for maybe the part about looks and how chicks dig 'em...
    My AC/ Sun DS1's weigh w/in 10g of the xmax sl discs, but come with normal spoke count, and were $366 built to my specs and shipped to my house...

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    You're joking, right? Except for maybe the part about looks and how chicks dig 'em...
    My AC/ Sun DS1's weigh w/in 10g of the xmax sl discs, but come with normal spoke count, and were $366 built to my specs and shipped to my house...

Haaaa. Now I didn't say they were cheap. Or good value even. At the end of the day, no set of wheels is really worth $850. (i get a discount shame, shame)

They are great wheels though accepting tubes and tubeless, They're light and very rigid laterally.

For good value wheels, having a trusted wheelbuilder friend is always best. Also, I always recommend speeddreams.com for a great custom set and www.amclassic.com is now doing an awesome job with lightweight wheels.

francois

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I spray painted it with Auto Brake Caliper Paint from Kragen. Didn't have to prep the spring. I just lightly sprayed with about 8 coats. I don't think this paint will chip or peel.

francois
    Hmmm. I'm curious how it'll hold up. I would've guessed that you'd need some sort of flex agent, but I may be wrong.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I have changed bike frames more then most people change favorite pants. Silly me.

I think the Spot is the best FS bike I have ever ridden...for what I like. Very nice.

How do you stay at 140 lbs? I think I weighed that much in 4th grade. Laugh. I bet you can rock and roll on the trails.

Jaybo

One really big unexpected difference between the switchblade and the 5-spot is the chain slap. On the switchblade, the rear der and the chain would slap the frame all day long. It was soo annoying I wrapped a kevlar tire around my chainstay.

On the spot, the chainstay protector yet and hardly not much slap so far.

francois

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    that trail is in the bootleg canyon mountain bike park outside of sin city. while my friends were experiencing the joys of lost wages, I was bombing down empty single track. It is a fun little park to ride in. The down hill coarses are very gnarly, the jumps are fun and you can put together a couple of good little loops for a cross country route.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus
    Hmmm. I'm curious how it'll hold up. I would've guessed that you'd need some sort of flex agent, but I may be wrong.
    I just painted mine with some spray paint called "Bumper Black". It is billed as a flexible acrylic paint for doing car bumper touch ups and comes out a nice flat black. I have a few rides on it and it seems plenty flexible to keep up with the spring. I did a kinda bad job painting but the can was only $5 and there is enough paint in there for about 200 springs, or 200 coats on one spring. Looks much better now. Go to an automotive shop and look for bumper paint.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

No, that's not phonetic
    Oops, double post. Blame AK Ken's computer, not me.

tscheezy
    Last edited by tscheezy; 03-20-2004 at 06:26 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.