Nicole? Papa?

Need to speed up my 5 Spot - non fitness related content ;-)

My Turner 5 Spot is currently decked out with a couple of 2.35 Maxxis High Rollers with a Super Tacky front and I've come to the conclusion that they are overkill for the trail riding I'm doing.

Don't get me wrong, they inspire sooooo much confidence on the way down, but it's like pedalling through soup on the ups and flat.

So, I'm thinking of a Maxxis Larsen/Ignitor rear and a Crossmark front.

Anyone run a similar combo? Advice on sizes too??

banned
    The Ignitors aren't one of my favorite tires. Have you tried the Conti Vertical Pros? I do like the pattern on the Crossmark, but I have no need for tires like that on my RFX. Maybe my SS when the time comes though. How about the Escars from Spez...or the Enduro's if you can still find them. Maxxis Small Blocks are pretty popular around here as a rear tire (decomposing granite). What kind of terrain?

mtbr member
    I have found the Ardents to be a superb all-around tire, that would be my choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee
    My Turner 5 Spot is currently decked out with a couple of 2.35 Maxxis High Rollers with a Super Tacky front and I've come to the conclusion that they are overkill for the trail riding I'm doing.

Don't get me wrong, they inspire sooooo much confidence on the way down, but it's like pedalling through soup on the ups and flat.

So, I'm thinking of a Maxxis Larsen/Ignitor rear and a Crossmark front.

Anyone run a similar combo? Advice on sizes too??

Wow, that's a big change! I'd go for something in the middle; Perhaps a Nevegal 2.1 DTC or something.

Moosehead
    +1 to both the Ardents and Neve DTC 2.1's. Some don't like the less aggressive traction, but there is the inverse relationship between traction and speed coming into play. IMO, both of these tires have a good blend of both for basic trail riding. The UST versions are obviously heavier but have beefier sidewalls. Some run the Small Blocks in the rear and Neve's up front, but a Neve tread reversed in the rear can provide more climbing traction if needed.

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    I run a 2.35 Highroller on the front of my Spot, and was previously running a 2.1 Advantage in the rear. I recently switched the rear to a 2.3 Larsen in hopes of getting more cush in the back with the increased volume without sacrificing traction. To my surprise, not did I get what I was looking for, but it actually increased the traction and is a better climber. Probably threw on a little extra weight, but I don't notice it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Rr 2.4

Racing Ralph 2.4s are fast, huge and light. However, the sidewalls are thin so maybe not the best tire for rocky terrain - but they do very well in the roots and less rocky trails.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    How about the Escars from Spez...or the Enduro's if you can still find them. Maxxis Small Blocks are pretty popular around here as a rear tire
    +1 on the Eskar. Is my first specialized tire and got it because of the large volume (2,3) and low weigth. The grip is amazing. as a front tire feels like a Nevegal 2,35 without the weight penalty.
    SB8 rolls fast but not extremelly grippy on the tech so you need more momentum and body english

Silence and Thunder...
    I just switched to 2.25 Maxxis ADvantage F&R on my old Spot.
    That size is in high demand and took awhile to get.
    It's also the same tire DT runs on some of his bikes here in socal... (I think...)

It's a great mid-size trail tire, but I think the Nev 2.1 is about the same size..
    ...every day sends future to past...

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I have found the Ardents to be a superb all-around tire, that would be my choice.

Ditto

If you didn't need the traction the Ardent provides for the rear tire I'd also suggest the CrossMark be used there. Get ready for some fast rolling!

The 2.25 version of both of these tires will be wider than the 2.35 HighRoller also

If you want something super fast (I'm talking really fast rolling) and you have buff hard-pack singletrack, try the Aspen.

Nicole? Papa?
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Lots to think about there.

Clearly I haven't used it, so I'm only going from the website, but the Ardent doesn't look like it'll be that faster rolling compared to the High Rollers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee
    ...the Ardent doesn't look like it'll be that faster rolling compared to the High Rollers.
    Trust me, looks are deceiving in this case. I just finished a pretty sloppy ride & I am still impressed how much traction I maintain with the Ardents...but they roll very fast!

mtbr member
    fast 5 spot = flux

Otherwise, racing ralphs 2.4 front and rear should do the trick. However, the 5 spot is a 5 spot and not an xc race bike. And neither is the flux but is quite a bit faster that the spot. That is why I own both of them.
    Sit and spin my ass...

... I guess you won't be
    I've tried quite a few combos on my spot, and by far - hands down, the best xc style fast rolling knobby [that still has a big volume, decent traction] is the Kenda Dred Tred 2.1 for the back wheel. Run your favorite fatty up front - it's not going to impact your rolling resistance on the trail in any perceptible manner, but having a "fast" tire in the back will make all the difference in the world. That said, I'm riding on trails that don't have loose rock scree [I ride on real dirt], so consider your terrain and allow for the inherent trade offs involved. But, by keeping a sticky up front, you're hedging your bet and reaping 90% of the benefits.

When I switched to the Dred, from a Nevegal - the difference in pedaling ease was very very noticeable. As long as you got a good gripper front tire [much of your weight is on the front anyway!], you'll not really notice the potential traction reduction when cornering from using a spinnier tire.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Arrrghhh!!!

second that

When I switched to the Dred, from a Nevegal - the difference in pedaling ease was very very noticeable. As long as you got a good gripper front tire [much of your weight is on the front anyway!], you'll not really notice the potential traction reduction when cornering from using a spinnier tire.[/QUOTE]

I like the Nevegal, and have used it for over a year now. But when it comes to rolling, its pretty slow (DTC 2.1). If I was more interested in rolling more efficiently, I'd go with something else in the back.
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James