Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm Need a shock suggestion.

I'm a fat guy (5-10 260) which rides mostly XC trails for enjoyment and to help fight diabetes. No big drops or leaps going on when I ride! Just trying to build up some endurance.

05 TNT RFX with a Pushed DHX Coil. Bikes weights in at 35 pounds. I would like to lighten it up a little. Want to try and get the RFX to be a little better all day machine if I can. So I'm thinking of going with an air shock to start with. So I am looking for any feedback the Turner experts can provide concerning air shocks and fat dudes.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    At that weight, you're probably stuck with the coil. The DHX-Air would require very high pressures, and not work that well.

One of the best ways to make the RFX a better all day machine is to fit tires that combine large volume with low rolling resistance. Another is to run less sag than is normally used on the RFX. Try 25% with a little less pro pedal than normal to keep the ride from becoming too harsh. Ask about the tire idea on the wheels/tires forum, but I know that WTB has a new-ish tire that uses a large casing, and small knobs.
    Whining is not a strategy.

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    I'm a fat guy (5-10 260) which rides mostly XC trails for enjoyment and to help fight diabetes. No big drops or leaps going on when I ride! Just trying to build up some endurance.

05 TNT RFX with a Pushed DHX Coil. Bikes weights in at 35 pounds. I would like to lighten it up a little. Want to try and get the RFX to be a little better all day machine if I can. So I'm thinking of going with an air shock to start with. So I am looking for any feedback the Turner experts can provide concerning air shocks and fat dudes.
    It sounds like you might be a candidate for something in more of the 4" travel range, like a Flux. I don't know, though, how an RP3 or RP23 would behave under a greater weight load. I've seen some stuff here and there on the forums talking about installing a higher volume air sleeve on the RP3s, but I don't know who does it (maybe PUSH?). Since you already have the RFX, you could swap the drivetrain onto a Flux and get a different fork and a lighter wheelset. Depending on the condition, you could recoup a lot of your cash selling the RFX frame. It's a complicated solution, but it really doesn't sound like you need the extra metal in an RFX frame, fork, shock, and wheels.

long standing member
    05 TNT RFX with a Pushed DHX Coil. Bikes weights in at 35 pounds.
    Aren't you on a "5 Pack"? With Spot rockers and 5" travel in the rear? If so, the leverage ratio should be low enough for you to use an air shock. SSinGA has experience running a DHX Air on a 5" travel Pack (which I think just blew up on him) and IIRC El Chingon has run (and liked) a RP3 on a Pack. And I think Bikezilla runs an air shock on his Spot, which if you're running 5" rockers should give a similar leverage ratio. You may try asking one or more of those guys what their thoughts are.

Patrick

Shovel Ready
    Yes you are correct I am running 5" rockers on the RFX. Have a PM out to one of the members you suggested. I'll wait and see if anyone else adds to the thread. Thanks for the help everyone!
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Didn't know you had the 5 inch setup. The RP3 would work great. I weigh 195, and have run the RP3 on my 6 inch RFX with good results in an xc environment, so you should be good to go with you greater weight and lesser travel.
    Whining is not a strategy.

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"

Dude, not to be insensitive. But it's going to be a helluva lot easier to drop weight with your bike by droppings lbs off yourself.

As your fitness increases, your weight decreases, your bike will feel lighter. I would not change a thing.

Best of luck to you.

Members who have read this thread: 0