Ouch, I am hot!

Need Serious Help Installing New Romic Spring

I just got my new Romic Spring and need help installing. I don't have "two left hands", but I do have a bigger problem. I just can't seem to do the easiest repair jobs right, and when I screw them up, I go ballistic. Can anyone help me and hold my hand through this? As Denzel said in Philadelphia, "explain it to me as if I was a 5 year old"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I just got my new Romic Spring and need help installing. I don't have "two left hands", but I do have a bigger problem. I just can't seem to do the easiest repair jobs right, and when I screw them up, I go ballistic. Can anyone help me and hold my hand through this? As Denzel said in Philadelphia, "explain it to me as if I was a 5 year old"
    LOL... first back off the pre-load collar as far as you can. Meaning the collar that's threaded that moves up and down the shock body... wind it up the shock body until there isn't any tension on the spring... then keep unwinding. Enough to allow the spring to move vertically about 1/2".

Once you're there. Pull the lower spring perch up until it can clear the seat on which it rests. You should then be able to pull the lower spring perch away from the shock body by passing the shaft through the channel in the perch.

At that point the spring should just slip off of the end that the lower perch was on.

Install the new spring in the opposite order of removal.

Edit: the shock should be detached from the frame. At least the shock shaft end.