mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Need help for the right stem size.

Good day guys.I'm 5'11" and 3/4,32" inseam.I have a medium size 6pack.Now my question is,what stem size do I have to use,for all around bike(cc,trail)?120mm,110,or 100mm?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    for the steep, and i do mean steep, short climbs out here, i couldnt live without a 100mm stem on my med '07 rfx. im 5'9"/32" inseam with a shorter tt than you but im also shorter too so id say try a 100 or 110 1st. i do everything from xc trail rides to fallin off bigger stuff and im happy, yet most here will scream "SHORT STEM!!" till the cows come home. just do what makes ya smile biggest and tell me or the masses where to shove it.

most cool shops will let ya fit 1 up and give it a spin before yer locked into a high end stem.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    What year frame? I have an 06 med, but the 07 and newer would be too small IMO (I am 5' 11" with a 34" inseam).

FYI I run an 80 mm stem...but the bike covers all aspect 'sub DH' so it is short for a dedicated up-hill pedaler.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Do you have a travel adjust fork? If so, you can go shorter and still enjoy great climbing.
    When I had a 90mm stem on my RFX, it was a pleasure climbing at full fork travel. With a 70mm stem, the RFX is much less fun to climb when in full travel, but becomes a real fun climber when I shorten the fork to 130mm.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

trail fairy
    I'm on an 06 RFX and the same size too, I use 50mm for eveything

I'd be stuck for what to do with the new sizing not sure, been debating it in my head since the change, I would need to spend sometime on the new ones I suspect first, I may like the new sizing in med, TT numbers alone do not tell the story, still think this is where many go wrong!

If I was to go bigger it wouldn't be over 70mm on the RFX even then it would feel too XC for me, but I like a shorter steering psotion more leverage and balanced pos on the bike!

Good luck there'll be as many for as against, really best option is to get some cheap stems and try them out, when doing this though, one ride is ever enough it will always feel weird you need to be prepared to try it for longer to see the benefits or non for you!

Good luck, testing is always fun
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the advice guys,but please more input.Davep,I think,I have the last 06 6pack.Medium size with 23.5TT.I also have 08 36talas rc,120mm stem with this frame.I want to use it for climbing and a little bit of aggresive trail ride.maybe I should try a 100mm?

i wouldnt go shorter, thats for sure.
    No, I'm NOT back!

ride your bike
    Not a RFX owner (Med 5spot, 5'10", 32" inseam), but here's my 2cents...

Started out with a 120mm for xc. As my riding got progressively more tech/gnarly the stem has shrunk....100mm...50mm (with WIDE Deity bars). At 50mm it does want to wander/lift on STEEP climbs. C'est la vie. I can accept that compromise, because of the increased comfort/confidence on the DH's.

But you could call me a black-sheep Homer: 5spot has Saint cranks, 50mm stem, and soon a 36talas. And my Highline is actually built with a 888 and 8" rear travel (versus a Pike and dhx air)...
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Let's roll.
    Interesting timing for this.

I'm on an 05 XL 6pack (6'3) and initially I was running a longer stem (90mm). But yesterday I got a chance to tryout an 15-mile ride with about 1500 ft of climbing with a 50mm stem.

I'll admit, at first, the shortness was off-putting--my wheel was flopping this way and that due to the quicker steering and I was sitting very far forward on the saddle to keep the wheel on the ground.

And then I lowered my fork and found it to be a nice compromise. It leveled out the quick steering a bit and made climbs more bearable. But when we hit the downhill portions of the trail, the 50mm was awesome. It puts you in a great attack position for anything the trail throws at you without much body english. Also, tight switchbacks were a bit easier on the ups and downs, probably due to the quick steering.

I'm going to give it a couple more rides this week and see if I'm going to stick with it or go back to my longer stem. I'd say try out different lengths and see what you gravitate to.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

trail fairy
    Sheesh Im the same height, run the same frame sizes, my Spot is .4mm shorter than my RFX I would never run 120mm stem on that!

I'd only consider running longer on a Flux, maybe

Start with your 100mm its going to take time to readjust just like smallairandy says this is not wrong in fact when things fel different often they are right, you have to change your thinking and re-learn, spend time to go backwards so you can go forwards, otherwise you'll stay in the same rut following the same trails

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm 5 9.5 and have an 06 medium RFX with a TALAS 36. I took it on vacation last winter with both 50 and 70mm stems, planning on swapping to 70 for more xc type rides. I never bothered. The 50 was great on Amasa Back, Gooseberry, JEM/Goulds, Church Rocks, and Bootleg xc. If the climb was steep I'd drop the fork down to 130 and motored on up. IMO dropping the front end down is better than a long roadie type stem. Even my medium Spot has a 70 on it and I love it.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

yeah, sure, fine. look what it did to ya! the longer stem woulda cleared that tree away for a safe lz before ya even landed. 1 of the missed benefits.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yeah, sure, fine. look what it did to ya! the longer stem woulda cleared that tree away for a safe lz before ya even landed. 1 of the missed benefits.

We will bring you over to the dark side yet CC, once ya get your Highline and follow BZ with the wide bars and short stem brotha you will be hooked!

You'll be dropping the GOREDUKEs and going short and wide, Im told thats what works best, its not length its width, well thats what they said on Oprah yesterday

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Anytime. Anywhere.

The slower steering of a longer stem doesn't work well with my even slower reaction time.

Short and wide satisfies.

When I went to get the stitches out I told the Doc I'd been in a bar fight. He didn't even blink.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

even morons like me can get used to a poor setup.

how about long and skinny? is there any hope for me?

he musta seen yer avitar.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    even morons like me can get used to a poor setup.

how about long and skinny? is there any hope for me?

Thats there 29er fighting talk

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs