mtbr member

Need help with RFX sizing from the Homers...

Gang,

I am interested in trying to find a used RFX to add to the stable. Currently I own, (and no I am not a fanboy and please don't flame me ):

• Santa Cruz Nomad, 6.5" rear travel, 23.3" eff top tube, 70mm stem
    • CCDB/06 66 RC2X
    • DS28/King HD wheels
    • 2.4 Big Betty rubber
    • 36.9 lbs, aka the big bike

• SC Chameleon hardtail, 23.3 eff TT, 90mm stem
    • 06 Z1 Light w/dual coils
    • 5.1/King HD wheels
    • 2.35 Fat Albert rubber
    • 30.5 lbs, aka the fun more xc bike

My goal with the build on the RFX would be on the lighter side and not built so burly as my Nomad. The Nomad can be a beast to pedal around for long periods of time when I am not doing drops or more aggressive riding. I'd still like to put a PUSH'd coil on it, and possibly a coil in the front, and hopefully keep it in the low 30's. (I think that's possible from some builds I have seen here...)

Size wise both my current bikes fit me really well for the type of riding I do on them. So I am thinking an eff top tube in that same general area will work best with a similar stem length.

From what I have read, it looks like either a medium 06, with 23.4" eff TT and 6" travel, or an 07 with 23.8" eff TT and 6.4" of travel would fit me pretty well.

I think that the 07's got lighter frames and a better leverage ratio, along with the added travel, is that correct? Or was that in 08?

I have no idea what the 06/07 frames sell for used, but I'm guessing the 06's are cheaper, which will make it easier to afford and net me a better SAF from my wife. One pro to the 06 is it has less travel, so there's less overlap there with my Nomad.

Obviously I will try to throw a leg over these before I buy, but I'd also like any thoughts you guys have that might help steer me in the right direction until I can do that. I know there are probably more differences in the frames and/or some points about each one I am unaware of. Thanks for any advice and help!
    Last edited by rscecil007; 04-30-2008 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a bike to complement your Nomad, why not consider a Spot instead of the RFX? You'll shave a fair bit of weight off, especially relative to the '06 RFX and it's a stellar heavy-duty trail bike.

I am currently riding a medium '06 RFX front triangle mated to '06 Spot rear triangle and 5.5in rockers (5.5-pack). It's the best trail bike I have ever ridden: it's much snappier than the '06 RFX, it mates very well with both air and coil shocks (unlike the '06 RFX which pretty much demands a coil shock), and the 5.5in rockers are an engineering marvel. They provide 140mm of very progressive travel and the bike geometry with a Fox Talas 36 is:

BB @ 160mm = 14.1in
    HA @ 160mm = 67.5 deg
    BB@ 130mm = 13.8in
    HA @ 130mm = 68.5 deg

The bike with reasonable components (nothing particularly lightweight, 5.1D rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs and 2.35 MHR tires) weighs 33.5lbs with a coil shock and 32lbs with the RP23. I am using a 70mm stem, but a 90mm would be more comfortable if I was to put a long day on the saddle and was willing to move weight a little more forward.

For reference, I am 5'10.5" with a 32-33in inseam. I have rented a Santacruz Nomad in the past and was comfortable on the medium. My XC bike is a large Flux with a 90mm stem.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Hey you're from washington, where do you ride?

No matter which RFX you choose, it's going to overlap with your nomad IMHO. Not necessarily a bad thing, just depends on where you ride and how you build it up.

mtbr member
    nybike,

That sounds like a sick bike you have there. Want to sell it?

I thought about the Spot, but was concerned about how much abuse it can take, and also thought I would feel more confident knowing the RFX was built stronger and I wouldnt' have to worry about it as much if I did decide to ride it hard. I might have second thoughs about hitting drops and stuff on a Spot, or that was my thinking anyway, no idea how tough they really are.

My friends agree, that an RFX will overlap with my Nomad too much, especially an 07. That's partially why I was thinking an 06 might be a good option, due to the less travel, etc.

I think a setup like yours is more inline with what I'd want, kinda like a slightly beefed up Spot. Are the rockers easy to find, or can you buy them directly from Turner?

FM,

I live north of Seattle, in the Mill Creek area. I normally ride at Japanese Gulch a few times a week, since I work at the Boeing plant in Everett and the trailhead is about 4 miles from the plant. I try to get up to Galbraith with my buddy's on Saturday's though.

EDIT: forgot to add nybike, I have about your same meansurements, I'm a touch over 5'10", and have about a 32.5" inseam.
    Last edited by rscecil007; 05-01-2008 at 07:54 AM.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007

My friends agree, that an RFX will overlap with my Nomad too much, especially an 07. That's partially why I was thinking an 06 might be a good option, due to the less travel, etc.

FM,

I live north of Seattle, in the Mill Creek area. I normally ride at Japanese Gulch a few times a week, since I work at the Boeing plant in Everett and the trailhead is about 4 miles from the plant. I try to get up to Galbraith with my buddy's on Saturday's though.
    Right on.... kinda tough around here, we have a huge variety of great riding- at least when the weather cooperates!

I keep thinking owning any year RFX and a nomad would be total overlap, anyway you slice it. I'd rather just have extra wheels, air shock and fork to throw on one bike. Or get something other than the RFX. Don't forget the older RFX's are heavier, if this is your XC bike maybe a lighter '08 with light build would be better? Then you could swap parts with yoru nomad which would be fun.

FWIW we have a buddy on a 4-year old 5-spot, he's taken it all over the shore and whistler bike bark, done the big GLC and A-line drops on it etc... the bike is still going strong. The spot can handle the abuse, just a question of what travel and geometry you want.

Committed
    If you get a new RFX (07-08) you may find your Nomad collecting dust....
    I have owned a Nomad and now have a new RFX, I like the RFX better in every application.
    Weights are very close between the two bikes as well, if you want to keep the Nomad a 5Spot maybe the better choice.