a Homer in training

Need help with my Flux

So a couple of months ago I finished building up my new Flux:

Overall I'm loving the ride...it climbs like nothing I've ever known and I'm finally starting to sag into the fork enough to get it to handle like I want in the tight stuff here in GA. I'm coming from many years on Klein hardtails and have no experience with setting up rear suspension and I'm having some trouble. I keep smacking the crap out of my rings. I'm assuming it must be due either to the longer wheelbase or an incorrect shock setting. Since the un-sagged BB height is actually higher than my old hardtails I'm assuming that I must be running the shock too low, but I haven't found a setting yet that keeps my rings from smacking logs that I think they should clear. For reference I weigh about 160lbs before gear and right now I'm running 140psi which is giving me ~0.33" in sag. If I'm on the right track and just need to keep tuning the rear shock just let me know...I'm happy to experiment but don't want to chase rabbit trails if this is normal or I'm overlooking something else.

Any help is appreciated.

-aerohead
    Anything I don't understand I take as a compliment.
    I'm much happier that way.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

what fork?

I ran mine with a talus usually set at 115 and I ran a reba 115 for a while,it seemed pretty perfect to me.I think it takes a while to get used to full suspension.
    a 34 chainring and a bashguard may help I haven't missed my bigring much.
    I've been inside too long.

a Homer in training
    Thanks, KgB...maybe I'm just a slow learner and need to play with full suspension more. On an unrelated note, I'm aiming to attempt your century ride this coming fall...too bad we don't have Lucy to use as base camp!

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by aerohead
    Thanks, KgB...maybe I'm just a slow learner and need to play with full suspension more. On an unrelated note, I'm aiming to attempt your century ride this coming fall...too bad we don't have Lucy to use as base camp!
    wow I would love to join you on that one,our fall went from 60 degrees to five inches of snow overnight.on a side note I think a 29er hardtail would be killer for that ride.
    I've been inside too long.

a Homer in training
    Yeah, I've been thinking about a 29er. The guy who runs the new (since you moved away) shop in downtown Woodstock is a big fan of 29ers and has several in his shop. Gotta' learn one bike at a time though, so first gotta' get my Flux sorted out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

fork or rear shock?

Are you talking about the fork or the rear shock? If you are taking about the rear shock, My riding weight 183, I have my psi set at 185 which give me about 1/4 inch of sag. You should have about 1 /4 inch of sag. I have a new flux and my rear shock had shuck down causing my flux to ride low (too much sag). easy to fix go to the fox web site.

a Homer in training
    Yeah, talking about the rear shock. I don't think its stuck down, but I'll try matching the psi to my weight like you did and see how it handles...thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchey
    My riding weight 183, I have my psi set at 185 which give me about 1/4 inch of sag. You should have about 1 /4 inch of sag.
    That would only be 17% sag, half of what he is running now. I too ran mine with 33% (1/2"), but 25% (3/8") is probably more standard.

Small changes in pressure do have a noticable effect on both how high the bike rides in its travel and how well the tire stays glued to the ground. I liked the lower COG and enhanced traction of the greater sag, with the tradeoff being I was more careful in potential chainring munching situations and didn't air the bike out much (less positive travel and bottomout resistance).

In short, it sounds like Aero is on the high end of the sag spectrum at this point, but I'd be surprised if he had to cut it in half to achieve the riding characteristics he's looking for. It would also be worth monitoring any effect the ProPedal has on this: the bike tends to ride deeper into its travel in the "-" position.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

banned
    Raising the bar...

...Now we have to take pics in front of the family car.

a Homer in training
    I'd swear this same truck passed me on the way to work this morning...dude even flipped me off as he went by.

a Homer in training
    Miles, thanks for the comparison sag data. I'm not much of a jumper so I'm not airing it out and I've been mostly running the shock in the middle position except on fire road climbs where I kick it up a notch. I'll give your settings a whirl and see how it goes. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Hey Aerohead,

I think you are right on the money with the pressure in the shock. I weigh 165lbs and usually ride my Flux with 140-150psi depending on the terrain.

Enjoy that beautiful bike!