View Poll Results: So what should I do

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Save your money, push it baby ...

0 0%
  • Get the burner, minor bling ...

1 7.69%
  • Get the burner, go nuts on the bling ...

4 30.77%
  • Get the flux, you know you want to ...

8 61.54%
  • Get the Epic and geek out ...

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004

Need advice: keep my bike vs. slight update vs. go nuts :)

x-posted to Specialized and What Bike to Buy lists. With poll here

I'm a clyde rider in Austin, Texas, riding mostly single track but we have baby heads, roots, etc ... Been off mountain bike since a dumb fall caused my kidney to bleed back in late January. Been doing the roadie thing on/off and work has sucked up too much time lately but am itching to get back to the dirt.

I have a 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp (think old style stumpjumper FSR but in heavier alu). Upgraded with Reba fork, new wheels, X.9 stuff and other minor updates. I'm in upgraditis mode and need some advice The options I'm debating (in increasing cost, each $ is about $500).

1) just keep my bike and maybe push the rear shock. It's there, paid for and just get out and ride stupid (not prefered option ) Cost: <$

2) buy a burner frame (found a new one in silver (sweet!), but with manitou shock, not fox that I'd prefer) and move my parts over and upgrade what can't move. Maybe sell old frame, and whatever parts don't move. Cost: $

3) buy a burner frame, move my upgraded parts over, sell the old bike, buy new bling (Juicy, thomson, CK headset, etc ...) Cost: $$

4) buy flux frame, move upgraded parts over, sell old bike, buy new bling. Cost: $$$$

5) buy new '06 Epic Comp, move my upgraded parts over, sell old bike and anything i take off new bike. Cost: $$$$

Cost isn't a major factor but still is a factor (it's been an expensive year so not alot of $ for toys).

I'm jonsing for the Epic because of the tech but alot of people tell me it's not the best bike for Austin (too harsh). The Flux would be nice but will I notice the weight difference and extra travel over the burner (I can always upgrade the rocker to get 4" out of the burner).

Help!!! The burner I'd have to pick up this week so need to decide one way or another.

thnx

Berardino
    Last edited by baratta930; 10-02-2005 at 10:07 PM.

No, that's not phonetic
    The gaping hole in your poll is the lack of the 5-Spot option. Really. Get one. A clyde riding on Austin's rough tracks should be shopping for a trail bike, not a near-xc-racer.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Sponsored by Xanax
    I'd get the Burner, and buy what parts you can for it. I'd imagine the Burner would be the best buy (depending on how much you can get it for). Plus, the Burner seems a good match for rides like Barton Creek. EDIT: Tscheezy does have a point, the 5Spot will soak up those rocks even better.

The only thing you can't do is have PUSH upgrade the Manitou shock if you don't like it.

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roostalee
    I'd get the Burner, and buy what parts you can for it. I'd imagine the Burner would be the best buy (depending on how much you can get it for). Plus, the Burner seems a good match for rides like Barton Creek. EDIT: Tscheezy does have a point, the 5Spot will soak up those rocks even better.

The only thing you can't do is have PUSH upgrade the Manitou shock if you don't like it.
    Roostalee, saw from your info that you have a burner with basically the build I'm aiming for. How do you like it?

thnx

Berardino

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The gaping hole in your poll is the lack of the 5-Spot option. Really. Get one. A clyde riding on Austin's rough tracks should be shopping for a trail bike, not a near-xc-racer.
    Tscheezy, you're probably right but that would end up costing even more than the flux option as I would have to get a new fork. It would put me close to 3k and I really don't want to spend that much right now ... but then again ... damn, need to add another option

BTW I am losing weight (slowly and in spurts) so hopefully by this time next year I'm down a few (or not)

Berardino

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Based on your poll, I would go with the Flux. However, you should give serious consideration to the 5 Spot.

Lay off the Levers

Take if from another Clyde...

I agree with Ts... A big man on a light bike, riding rough trails just screams upgrade.
    Do you really want to do this twice? Get the 'Spot man. I understand the cost factor, but I think you'll be happier on a bike that won't have you wondering if you should or shoudn't hit that next feature with zeal.

You can help pay for it with the money you save on the Jenny Craig meals.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 10-02-2005 at 11:45 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

KDK
    mtbr member
    One more vote for the Spot ... from another Clyde.

The frame has carried my weight (120kg +/-) with no complain even though other parts have are suffering - (fork and wheels).

Seriously I do not think that a Burner nor a Flux would break - DT does not have a weight limit on them. I just think that for us ...bigger guys a 5" bike carries us better through the rough. The Spot is slightly more expensive I admit but I think in the long run it is a better option.

mtbr member

Go for the 'Spot.

I vote for for the 'Spot, too. Take it from a 210lb Clyde who beat the cr@p out of a 2003 Specy FSR Comp: pulverized the bearings several times. The 'Spot will serve you well. You may end up replacing a lesser bike sooner than you'd otherwise want to.
    Last edited by Clyde S Dale; 10-03-2005 at 10:46 PM. Reason: singular to plural

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

got both, go flux

id say go flux based on what i see in yer post. id agree with the spot idea if i saw you sayin more about jumps and drops, which i dont see.

pure and simple, as far as im concirned as a owner of both a burner and a flux, the flux blows the burner all to hell in every aspect. yes i feel a huge diff in travel and travel quality but what might be even more evident is the far superior geometry of the flux. ive said countless times before in many other threads here that it knocked my socks off. the flux totally exceeded all my expectations and believe me, i had plenty.

so, simply put, go flux yerself!

some additional thoughts: my climbing has dramatically improved and id say it comes from a combo of the longer top tube (1/2"), lighter frame (1/2 lb), lighter wheels (1/8 lb) and the rp3 (vs. '04 float rl) with the new geometry playing the bigger role. the burner always felt fast but the flux seems to shoot up hills, over obsticals and out of corners much faster. above ground (in air) stability is also better as is the overall handeling. id say its due to the lower c of g on the flux. the plushness has been surprising as well. at times ive run a custom valved vanilla r on my 3.6" burner and i was more impressed with the rp3 on the 4" flux. rear end stiffness and mud clearence was also much better on the flux but there was a re-do since my '96 burner was built so that may not be a fair comparison. look at me here tryin to be mr test rider, ride impression boy! proud of me yet cheese?

please feel free to contact me if i can answer anything or help in anyway.

heres a pic that shows the lower profile of the flux:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 10-03-2005 at 02:07 AM. Reason: add a pic
    No, I'm NOT back!

Sponsored by Xanax
    Quote Originally Posted by baratta930
    Roostalee, saw from your info that you have a burner with basically the build I'm aiming for. How do you like it?

thnx

Berardino
    Like it a lot, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't considered the 5Spot myself. The Burner is great at tearing up singletrack, but in the rough stuff I've wondered if the extra bit of travel would serve me better (I'm about 200lbs and no racer boy myself). It really depends on what kind of rider you are, what kind of ride you're looking for.

This sport changes quickly. I'm wondering if 6-inch XC bikes are next.

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    Lots of love for the 5spot here, I wonder why

It looks like the burner slipped through my fingers (will know for sure tomorrow), and I've basically decided against the Epic. So I'm down to keep my bike (probably the sensible thing ... uh, yeah ), get a flux (probably not go bling, bling if I did this but move parts over and upgrade over time), or ... yes, look into a 5 spot. You guys are persuasive (sp?)

BTW for the record, I'm just about 6', 220lbs. Not a jumper, more of a XC kind of guy. Ride barton creek, muleshoe, and the secret trail near my house for those of you that know Austin.

I'll think about this some more but the suggestions so far have been very helpful ...

thnx

Berardino

trail fairy
    You keep saying youre into XC, myself and my buddies just completed a 12hr event against many epics, yes some were quick but we smoked all day my buddy on his 5 spot constantly holds and nails it on this bike..
    For a big guy this is a versatile machine and I bet most will ride faster on this bike than most on a 3 or 4inch bike and still have fun, do it right first time and save yr $$ in the long run and have more fun.

Get the HL if ya still can, good cheap 05 forks are abound for this bike!
    If I was gonna get a Turner this would be it.

Onwards! not backwards!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

pardon me but...

what yer sayin here, trail, is since he doesnt jump and hes more into xc rides, he should get a frame that weighs nearly 1 lb more and slap a fork on it that also weighs close to 1 lb more if not over that, then bolt a bunch of mid to lower range xc stuff on it so he can have a more popular bike? i just dont see the advantage here.

look, i dig the spot and theres a damn good chance ill have one (or a pack) in my collection in the next 4 months but not to replace my flux, just add something that will allow me a different type of riding on more difficult terrain. a 26 lb xc bike will have a pretty big advantage over a 32 lb trail bike for ground based lower tech style riding under the same rider. dont ya think?

sure the spot is versitle as hell. so is a letherman tool. but for cutting up my dinner id rather use a steak knife than a multi tool as thats what is designed for. simply put, itll work much better for the intended task and make my job that much easyer. no offence intended by the way.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

No matter what, lose the Specialized

I'm a 160 lb xc/trail rider who likes to keep his wheels on terra firma and so am not much of one for air. I can't comment on the 5 spot vs Flux debate, but I can say I had a 2001 Specialized FSR XC pro, and thought it was the ultimate bike for me. I had absolutely no complaints. I sold it to my brother largely as a favor and bought a Burner just because it was a deal. To my surprise and delight, the Burner has proved to be a superior machine in all respects - climbing, descending (stable, fast!), technical moves (predictable!) - and soon I was riding stuff I hadn't been able to clear on the FSR. Spot vs Flux (or Burner if you can get it), any will be a big improvement over your current ride. (When my brother needs a newer bike, guess whose getting himself a Flux, unless I'm persuaded to go with the rumored 29er).

Registered Dietitian

No.

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    what yer sayin here, trail, is since he doesnt jump and hes more into xc rides, he should get a frame that weighs nearly 1 lb more and slap a fork on it that also weighs close to 1 lb more if not over that, then bolt a bunch of mid to lower range xc stuff on it so he can have a more popular bike? i just dont see the advantage here.

look, i dig the spot and theres a damn good chance ill have one (or a pack) in my collection in the next 4 months but not to replace my flux, just add something that will allow me a different type of riding on more difficult terrain. a 26 lb xc bike will have a pretty big advantage over a 32 lb trail bike for ground based lower tech style riding under the same rider. dont ya think?

sure the spot is versitle as hell. so is a letherman tool. but for cutting up my dinner id rather use a steak knife than a multi tool as thats what is designed for. simply put, itll work much better for the intended task and make my job that much easyer. no offence intended by the way.
    First,how does 1lb. of frame weight difference translate into 6 lbs. of bike weight difference? A Spot can easily be built to 29-30 lbs.

The real issue is, how much difference does 3-4 lbs. of bike weight make to a clydesdale rider? Answer: not much. He will have a more durable, more fun, better all-around ride with the 5 Spot. 3-4 lbs. is 1.5-2% of a 200 lb. rider's bodyweight, not a big deal. I don't think clydes should be so concerned about bike weight, otherwise if they're riding hard they're going to have breakage issues.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Dont listen to all these Turner Homer Yahoos......they will talk you into spending money. Take it from me, be happy with what you have.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Dont listen to all these Turner Homer Yahoos......they will talk you into spending money. Take it from me, be happy with what you have.
    And that PSA is coming from a guy who has purchased 4-5 new frames and parts to go with them in the last 12 months!!
    Nothing to see here.

look biatch....just because you have 3000+ posts now does not give you the right to analyze me!

I know that I can stop buying parts anytime I want.....but with winter upon us, I think the Pugsley could really come in handy

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    look biatch....just because you have 3000+ posts now does not give you the right to analyze me!
    Just trying to keep up with you!!

....now back to talking another victim...er..ahh rider into a 5 spot.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... do it.....do it.....do it......do it......

DO IT
    i have after lots n lots n lots of umming and arrghing......its only money, u dont have to eat not when you can ride!!
    after 2 years of debating wether or not to sell my 03 sugar and get either a flux or 5 spot i have finally done it, well kinda, and all the guys are right its a 5 spot that you want ....go and demo one ...they really do live up to the hype!
    dont cut corners, get exactly what you want on it, if u treat it right you will have it a long time!
    im in the UK and have just ordered im looking at the end of october for the new 06 spot it looks awesome and i cant wait it might be horst or it might be TNT but what ever it is it WILL be maxed out and pimped up!!!!!!!
    you know that there will be pics when done!!
    God....whatever i feel like doing!!!

sounds like you have wisely scratched the non TNT Specialized off your list.

If in your shoes, I would probably take the advice of others and with some patience, you can indeed find a 5 Spot for a very good price (~$1000). I think in the long run this is gonna be a good move whether or not the Burner is gonna work for you (which I think it will).

its like this

1 lb in the frame, another plus some in the fork, and if ya follow the plan of a proper spot, theres wheels, tires, and all the other bigger bits that go along with it. it adds up dont ya know. a 29lb spot can be done but were talkin some pretty big bucks and thats exactly what this cat said he didnt wanna do. as im sure ya know, its the last pound and a half that keeps us all eating ramen for months at a time.

bike weight diff for a 220lb guy admittedly is not as big as a guy like me at 160lbs. you win that round tommy. but ya gotta admit a xc bike built well for that big of a guy could be 28lbs easy without a huge outlay of cash and thats far better than the 32lb average of most well built spots. now tell me ANY of us wouldnt like a bike 4lbs lighter if it didnt compromise the longevity of the ride. and given this guys intended long term goal usage, id say this is the better plan but consider the source as im just another moron. see?
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    my first turner was a Burner - it was one tough bike....I likened it to a "freeride" bike for the sandy flatlands of michigan.....It sure took all the beatings I gave it, and was a great race bike too, but I soon developed a taste to try ever sketchier lines, bigger logs to bunny, rounder rocks to ride over - and the burner just didn't have enough stretch in it's legs to "go there"......so I got a spot.

With the right tires on a spot, you will not feel like you are at any disadvantage speedwise, compared to your more racery bikes....but when it comes to taking that "I don't think so" line, you will feel like you can at least give it a go.

Go for the spot, or at least the Flux.....

BODYSNATCHER

Buy The Spot

...AND I'll sell you a Firefly for dirt cheap. I mean it. I don't need the fork, and you need the bike. Go, Man, Go!!
    Seriuosly, I think you will be better suited on The 5S. If you want to borrow the fork, PM me. It's just gettin' dusty in the garage....
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast