mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Need advice on 15QR front wheel building

I just got an '08 5-spot and I want to get the '09 Fox Float 140mm RLC 15QR. I need a new front hub to go with it, and to save $ I think I'm going to go with the Shimano XT 15mm QR front hub (HB-M778), which is $80. The CK 20mm hub w/15mm conversion axle is too expensive for me ($180 + $55).

What kind of rims and spokes should I get?

I'm 5'11' / 210lbs and I do mostly XC / all mountain stuff. I'm neither a smooth nor really aggressive rider, more in the middle. I have a pretty new wheel with Sun RhynoLite on the front, so I have the option of using that rim and lacing up the new hub. My front brakes are Avid BB7 mechanical discs. I just spoke with Turner and they mostly run Mavic rims.

I appreciate your input.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I would only suggest going with a different hub that will allow you to switch to 20mm in the future if you'd like to. The Hope front hubs are cross-compatible between QR, 15 & 20mm and cheaper than Kings, if price is the issue.

I looked hard at the talas32 for a new beefy hardtail I am building up, but ultimately the 15mm Qr was a deal breaker for me so I went with the Talas36. The 140MM fox forks look great but I am not at all sold on the 15MM "standard". I wanted to be able to swap wheels between my different bikes and already own several 20mm hubs. Even if you "only" own one bike, you'll have better resale value and more options in the future if you go with a hub that's not limited to the 15mm "standard".

Rims are easy, go Mavic xm819!