There's no app for this.

need 5 spot Fork advice

OK youse guys, help me out here. Probably having to order one sight unseen in Canada, and need some fork advice.

I'm 5'10+. Weight is 190#. Currently riding a Knolly Vtach and need the Turner to ride steep technical with steep rolls and precious little dropping (he//, I'm 59, I could break in 2!) The Knolly is 46.4# and wears me out going up things, like hills.

A friend 006_007 with one sez his AM1 is too long at 150mm, so thoughts are I should aim for the 130mm AM1, or the Fox Talas 36 RC2 . The bike fellow that I will order from suggests a different Fox (can't recall, they make way too many models).

I think the Z1 lite is too long @ 150mm and will cause the front end to wash out as per previous comments.

My goal is to have it stick to the ground for traction and be plush; harsh and bouncy is bad

I'd really appreciate any comments, other than I'm too old to ride.

TIA, eh? Jim in Vancouver

Oh and thanks Tscheesy, I read all your stuff on the Nomad.

mtbr member
    ...personally, I would go with the Z1 Light. It is adjustable from 130-150mm, so A-C won't be a problem. It is a bit taller A-C than the comparable Fox models, but I found the Spot to handle great with it in the steeps & techie riding. I even bumped my travel up to around 140mm & was quite happy with the handling on the Spot. The Marzocchi damping IMHO is just flat better than the Fox stuff....more options for adjustments & is easier to maintain (not to mention that I am very disappointed in the CS I have been getting from Fox for the DHXa I currently am riding). It also has the air spring in one leg that makes it very easy to dial in the springrate for your weight/ riding style & oil height to control bottomout. Remember, the Z1 also has ETA for those really steep climbs where you need to get the front as low as possible. I am currently riding mine again while the 66SL is being serviced & it is a very nice fork that pairs nicely with the Spot.

Many here have been pretty happy with the RS Pike, that may be another option to investigate, I can't comment as I haven't ridden one.

Lay off the Levers
    Edit:
    Oops I replied to the wrong thread...
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 05-27-2006 at 08:34 AM.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

skin tight lycra
    Im also looking into a new fork my 5Spot. I currently have a Talas but want something plusher and stiffer. Im looking at Pikes but not sure to go for air or coil????

Lay off the Levers
    If it's a Pike you are considering then go dual air all the way. It's an outstanding fork. A few people(tscheezy for example) posted having problems with the coil blowing through the travel and bottoming. He switched to the dual air and has been pleased.
    I have the dual Air on my Spot replacing the AM1 and Z1 and really like it.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

There's no app for this.

Thanks all...

lots to chew on, had not considered the Pike. Hmnnnnnnnnnn.

Jim - master of indecision

Roy
    mtbr member
    For pure cross country I would get a Fox Vanilla of some sort. I rode an R with my Spot for several years and it's seen some tough stuff. If you are going to get more aggressive than I would go with a Pike or an AM1 (Z1 light) 130-150. That's what I ride now (AM1 130-150) and I like it better on the Spot for *my* style of riding than the Fox.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Jim,

when did you get the spot?

DUH the knolly is heavy!

Monte has a maverick on his spot. Its his little big bike.

Lee has an All Mountain SL on his Norco Fluid, which is comparible to the 5 spot, set at between 5-6 inches. More slack then the Element with the Manitou minute set at 4 or 5 but works just fine for shore riding etc.

We're doing numb today in whistler so we'll see how it does on the long xc ride.

mtbr member
    After more thought on this, I would be very tempted to run the new Z1 SL. It has the burly Z series chassis w/ 20mm axle, yet weighs in at a svelte 4 lbs. It is also travel adjustable from ~100mm-150mm. The RC2 cart does a nice job of controlling dive & the PAR handles bottomout duties very nicely. Once broken-in, the fork feels very plush through the rough stuff. If I was building a Spot today, I would run that fork. What shock do you have in the rear, BTW?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a coil Pike on my 5-spot and I love it ...Super plush ride

There's no app for this.

haven't got it yet B-G...

I sold my entry level Enduro (BB to low @ 13") and I'm looking to get an AM bike for those non-Knolly days.

We were at Whistler Monday nite, sorry, didn't know you were up. We were doing the numb thing too.

There's so much product out there now it gets just a bit confusing.

Hi to both! Jim

dog's best friend
    May 2004

03 Spot - 04 Z1FR...

....was a good combination for me. I'm a heavier rider at 220# and could not faze this fork. The Z1 was set at 130mm and I did not find keeping the fork down while climbing steep techy stuff a chore.I did CBC with this setup and felt confident on the drops and ramps. So an AM1 set at 130 would work, I think. Fox Vanilla 130 would be a good choice as well but I would favor the Zokes cause local warranty and parts support is better in Vancouver.

There's no app for this.

thanks!

local service means a lot; Fox had me wait months one time for shock repair. R-S is an unknown I guess, I haven't had one of theirs for years. But Marz. has always been good to me for performance and service.

A recent Manitou purchase (Sherman slider on Knolly) was a total disaster, the guys at the distributorship had to revalve the whole thing just to make it work at all. It was a huge disappointment, that's why I guess they dropped it and moved on to the Travis.

thanks for the input, Jim in Vancouver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    OK youse guys, help me out here. Probably having to order one sight unseen in Canada, and need some fork advice.

I'm 5'10+. Weight is 190#. Currently riding a Knolly Vtach and need the Turner to ride steep technical with steep rolls and precious little dropping (he//, I'm 59, I could break in 2!) The Knolly is 46.4# and wears me out going up things, like hills.

A friend 006_007 with one sez his AM1 is too long at 150mm, so thoughts are I should aim for the 130mm AM1, or the Fox Talas 36 RC2 . The bike fellow that I will order from suggests a different Fox (can't recall, they make way too many models).

I think the Z1 lite is too long @ 150mm and will cause the front end to wash out as per previous comments.

My goal is to have it stick to the ground for traction and be plush; harsh and bouncy is bad

Hi Jim,

as others have mentioned the Pike is definately something to consider. I like my AM1, I just never run it in the 150mm setting I dont like how the front end feels. The Pike would be nice, but will be heavier as well. Myself I already had a nice light wheelset with a standard QR, so I could not go the pike route as I did not want to run 20mm. for your use it would not be a bad idea.

The Z1 light is an awesome feeling fork. Was playing on one on the Delirium, felt pretty damn nice. not an option for me as I was building my spot for a 27.5# range.

banned
    Jim, I've ridden with you and I know your bike preference from the V-Tach. If I remember correctly, you weren't too keen on the feel of the Sherman Slider Plus on that bike.

my 5-Spot has a Vanilla RLC 130 but as you know I'm a spindly 155 lbs. I think you may like a 20mm fork up front.

I would suggest a Pike. That's what I'd put on a 5-Spot if I were going with 20mm axle up front.

the Revelation seems to be getting Pike-equivalent performance raves, so if you wanted to save a few ounces and stick with QR axle it would be worth trying.

I'm super pleased with my Vanilla RLC but I'm not sure how it would be if I weighed 35 lbs more.

GOOD CHOICE on the 5-Spot, you'll find its trail feel and suspension action to be very similar to the V-Tach.

my 6-Pack has a VAN 36, and I can tell you you won't like the 5-Spot with a 36 TALAS if you plan to ride XC and do a fair amount of steepish climbing. if you were 25 yrs old and liked muscling your bike around it would be a different story, but a hint is that I got tired of muscling around my 6-Pack on steeper climbs while riding with younger folks on pure XC rigs. you'll want a shorter fork, 5" travel max.
    Last edited by gonzostrike; 05-29-2006 at 02:41 PM.

~~~~~~~~
    JimC! the brainwashing is nearly complete .

For a first fork on a new bike having adjustable travel lets you figure out how you want the bike to handle, having air springs gives you nearly limitless tuning options also. The top choices would be the Pike, Marz Z1 or 66, or Fox 36T. If you figure out one ride height that you want to stick with, then get a coil fork if you still feel the need (I won't own a air shock with out a coil backup...).

The limiting factors on the Pike are 140mm max travel, the spot works very well with taller forks. 32mm stanchions are now considered the minimum. Service is still a question.

With the Marz, you've got to decide Z1 light or SL or 66SL or, too many choices is the biggest problem. Service should be better.

Fox 36T would be sweet but seems to be the most questionable.

Lack of experience with any of these forks in mind.... I'd vote for the Z1 light.

mtbr member

Push'ed Fox RLC

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.

You will be happy with the Fox RLC - Pushed. The Pike is good and the Revelation should be ok. I like the AM 2 as well. If you do not care about weight then the Pike is cool - dual air. The Rock shox springs are too soft.

I am rally happy with my RLC....
    Sit and spin my ass...

There's no app for this.

Thanks again to above posters

lots to chew on. Gonz you're right, the Slider was a bad choice, but it's been re-valved so it's a bit better. IMHO Answer should be offering an upgrade to Travis but hey, caveat emptor.

Thanks again all, Jim

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I owned a Pushed RLC

Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    You will be happy with the Fox RLC - Pushed. The Pike is good and the Revelation should be ok. I like the AM 2 as well. If you do not care about weight then the Pike is cool - dual air. The Rock shox springs are too soft.

I am rally happy with my RLC....
    The Revelation in stock form absolutely is in another league performance wise. MUCH nicer. Really! The Revelation is quite a bit lighter too.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    The Rock shox springs are too soft.
    It should be noted that both the Pike and Revelation you mentioned are air shocks, and the spring rate is adjustable, as it is on all air shocks. I do agree that in the past (like with a Psylo I owned) the stock coil springs are too soft for their prescribed rider weight.

mjc
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a float RL on my spot- anyone have experience with this over some of the above. The Pike seems to be priced well.
    ride more, eat less

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have Revelation U-turn - this has been excellent for six hard months - never bottomed, always plush, good control at the front, not lost any air, um, what else? I'm 200# and don't do drops neither, but lots of rocky stuff