mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Name that Turner

Picked this up on Ebay for a friend. Seller claimed it was a 2002 XCE. I used to own a 2002 XCE and the cable routing on that bike was on the bottom of the top tube. Also the rear end on this bike is obviously not original. Any guesses on the real year of the front triangle and year and model of the rear triangle. The seller has been less than cooperative on communicaitons and I would really like to know what I've got here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    so YOU got that. im guessin it was a 4x/slolom/lite dh frame made from bits off older xce's and/or burners. maybe in the '00 timeframe but coulda been as recent as '04. i cant check my pics now but will when i get home. the pics in the classics sticky arent commin up at work.

i didnt get much back from him either.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Team Maxxis

That is a 4X / slalom bike from way back. Keep an eye on those rear disc mounts, they are the weak part on the frame. The rest looks like I make it bullet proof with all the gussets etc.

DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_XCE
    Picked this up on Ebay for a friend. Seller claimed it was a 2002 XCE. I used to own a 2002 XCE and the cable routing on that bike was on the bottom of the top tube. Also the rear end on this bike is obviously not original. Any guesses on the real year of the front triangle and year and model of the rear triangle. The seller has been less than cooperative on communicaitons and I would really like to know what I've got here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
    The frame is from a Maxxis team rider, they ran them in 02-03. I know the guy who was selling it (for the Maxxis rider) he probably told you what he knows about it, as it was not his bike originally. CC is most likely correct, the frame is an XCE, but may have a different rear end conf., as the team was always experimenting, just like a handfull of the Franken-RFX riders here ; )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    That is a 4X / slalom bike from way back. Keep an eye on those rear disc mounts, they are the weak part on the frame. The rest looks like I make it bullet proof with all the gussets etc.

DT
    Hey Dave,

Stu here from the old Turner / Honda days ; ) Can you shoot me a PM, I have something you may want??.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cable Routing

I used to own a 2002 XCE and the cable routing on that bike was on the bottom of the top tube.
    19.5" and larger XCE's had the cables routed along the bottom of the top tube, 18" and smaller XCE's had the cables routed along the top of the top tube.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Front triangle's definitely an XCE. What that orange thing on the back is I can't fathom...

yer about 2 hours late to the party but were glad ya came.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    I know what it is! It's FUGLY, from a purely cosmetic standpoint

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I know what it is! It's FUGLY, from a purely cosmetic standpoint
    He's gonna ride it, not marry it. Ya know, sometimes the ugly ones give the best ride.

Seriously, thanks for all the replies. I've never ridden a 4X type bike or even know anyone with one. Is the geometry on this mutt gouing to be suitable for XC type riding. Not that it matters all that much since this guy is coming from a 1998 Trek hardtail. So I'm sure this thing will feel like a lazy boy to him.

DT, thanks for the clue about the rear brake mounts. Shouldn't be a problem initially since he'll be riding v-brakes.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Just messing, it's a sweet ride, and he can always change the appearance, unlike a wife

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Just messing, it's a sweet ride, and he can always change the appearance, unlike a wife
    Yeah, can't take the scotch-brite pad to the old wifey-poo...... Legaly anyway.
    Tryin' to keep the tires on the ground.

Is the geometry on this mutt gouing to be suitable for XC type riding.
    thats a toughy. id say theres not many folks on this earth that can answer that question or have a clue what the geo is. perhaps inkpad or dt?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    thats a toughy. id say theres not many folks on this earth that can answer that question or have a clue what the geo is. perhaps inkpad or dt?
    "Is the geometry on this mutt going to be suitable for XC type riding."

All I can offer is that this 4X (semi) specific bike is built to be a quick handler, not slacked out, so it should be a sweet XC ride. I raced the identical set-up for 2 years. I know the previous owner had it set up last year for his XC bike (see front der). Plus it's a Turner, of course it's gonna be a great bike, but as DT said, I would keep an eye out for the rear tabs, they will start to develop stress cracks after a while, but won't fail without warning though.

i wonder how close a '05 flux/spot or '04 burner s/stay is as a replacement? guess we wont know till someone confirms the geo. thanx man.
    No, I'm NOT back!

a tight kick sound
    That bike is soooooo cool!
    I would love to own one of those
    Bet that thing would rip it up pretty hard.

Nice find! I like those slightly older turner 4x frames. Awesome 4x bikes but also super fun play bikes and trail bikes...for those of us who do not like very tall BB's

Have fun with that baby!

Booner

carpe diem
    Jan 2004

Another 4X before and after...

[QUOTE=WV_XCE]Seriously, thanks for all the replies. I've never ridden a 4X type bike or even know anyone with one.QUOTE]

I picked this up over a year ago, but didn't build it up until very recently. It is more of a Frankenbike now with XR rockers and a change to a Revelation fork. It came with the Pushed rear shock which feels very plush, but I'm not sure what the difference would be if I had it tuned for XC instead of 4X. I only have a couple of rides on it so I don't have a specific opinion yet. I'm use to riding a SS 29'er so its quite different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    DT, thanks for the clue about the rear brake mounts. Shouldn't be a problem initially since he'll be riding v-brakes.

Perhaps its just the photo but it doesn't appear to have rear brake bosses?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW
    Perhaps its just the photo but it doesn't appear to have rear brake bosses?
    Turner made a set of clamp on V-brake bosses. I have a set from my old ride. They work pretty well.

Members who have read this thread: 0