Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My XC Sultan

mtbr member

My XC Sultan

Every time I ride my Sultan, I keep asking myself "Do I still need a Czar?"
    My Sultan now weighs 25.43lbs with Sram X.9 and X.O gripshifter, light-bicycle rims laced with Pillar spokes on Hope Pro2 Evos40t, Wolftooth 42t cog and 34t ring and a light Spez tires.
    Had a test ride today with the Wolftooth parts and it's surprisingly works out good. I never drop a chain though the type2 Sram X.9 is not as quiet as my XTR.
    Overall I am loving this bike and I am wondering, Is there something else I am missing with the Czar?
    Here's some few pictures of my setup.
    Last edited by Bullit_cn; 04-13-2014 at 08:03 AM.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    A 25.5 lbs, 125 mm travel, all mountain 29er, with the typical stiffness of a Turner. I don't think bikes get much better than that...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Agree....it really doesn't get any better😎

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am in the same boat. I just did a 6 hour race on my Sultan (26.5lbs). The bike did not hold me back. I see no reason to get a Czar instead.

But if you have the coin for both, having 3 lbs less, being a little climb friendlier and quicker turning (uphill switch backs the sultan needs a little convincing with a 140mm Pike). might all be valid points.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You make me wanna sell my Spot! I've been a secret 29er fanboi and I've been itching to make the switch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I vote NO. Your only minor issue, X9 vs XTR, has nothing to do with the frame.
    Last edited by westin; 04-13-2014 at 09:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    You make me wanna sell my Spot! I've been a secret 29er fanboi and I've been itching to make the switch.
    My apologies for sharing the itch ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I vote NO. Your only minor issue, X9 vs XTR, has nothing to do with the frame.
    Alright, you mean NO need for the Czar? ;-)

mtbr member

My XC Sultan

The Sultan is undeniably a great bike if you are wanting a firmly planted bike that you just pedal and plow through nasty trails. The DW suspension is ultra plush /smooth overall top notch. But if you are wanting nimbleness and playfulness it suffers greatly. Try doing a wheelie and getting front end up on the Sultan and you will find it much more difficult compared to bikes with shorter stays. So again, great for planted front end on stay in saddle steep climbs but more difficult to loft front end. The Czar, given its shorter stays may be just the ticket but I have yet to try one. If Turner came out with a short stay rear triangle adaptable to my existing Sultan I'd think it would be the perfect trail bike. Until then will just keep lusting over the carbon Czar. If I could sell my Sultan I would possibly consider Czar but cannot justify owning both.

Ultimate Poseur
    What model rims do you have and how long have you had them? Debating between the new bead hookless 35mm ones and Flow EXs.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Every time I ride my Sultan, I keep asking myself "Do I still need a Czar?"
    My Sultan now weighs 25.43lbs with Sram X.9 and X.O gripshifter, light-bicycle rims laced with Pillar spokes on Hope Pro2 Evos40t, Wolftooth 42t cog and 34t ring and a light Spez tires.
    Had a test ride today with the Wolftooth parts and it's surprisingly works out good. I never drop a chain though the type2 Sram X.9 is not as quiet as my XTR.
    Overall I am loving this bike and I am wondering, Is there something else I am missing with the Czar?
    Glad that you like the set up on your Sultan. For the riding I do most of the time, the Sultan would've been my "one bike" if I had to make a choice. After getting the Czar, it's downhill performance is pretty close to the Sultan with the extra bonus of weighing considerably less and has replaced the Sultan as my go-to bike most of the time. I'm hoping that there will be an updated Sultan this year with shorter stays and geometry built around a 140mm travel Pike. That would give more separation between the two 29er models. Right now it feels almost, but not quite, like the Czar and the Sultan overlap too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moff_quigley View Post
    What model rims do you have and how long have you had them? Debating between the new bead hookless 35mm ones and Flow EXs.
    The one I got is the 27mm hookless rims. I just had ridden it for 3X only and try to ride the roughest and rockiest trail as much as possible to see how tough is this thing. LB said it has 1 year warranty so I am looking forward how this thing hold up most importantly on the nipples holes.
    I had it already scratch on the sides and so far no chipping yet on the hookless part. perhaps, the my tire pressure of 27rear and 25front helps out protecting the rim. However, I haven't converted it yet to tubeless due to limited time. I wanna see how this bead hold up in a tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post
    Glad that you like the set up on your Sultan. For the riding I do most of the time, the Sultan would've been my "one bike" if I had to make a choice. After getting the Czar, it's downhill performance is pretty close to the Sultan with the extra bonus of weighing considerably less and has replaced the Sultan as my go-to bike most of the time. I'm hoping that there will be an updated Sultan this year with shorter stays and geometry built around a 140mm travel Pike. That would give more separation between the two 29er models. Right now it feels almost, but not quite, like the Czar and the Sultan overlap too much.
    First, my LBS is demonising me again for some discount on the Czar, now it was you sweet talking me about the Czar...
    I am pushing hard to get my Truth sold so it will be less heavy on my wallet.
    You are right, 1 turner is not enough

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Read my thread..

Turner Czar Build Thread

I rode a demo Sultan, really LOVED it, didn't want to give it back.. I was driving it back to the shop coming up with excuses as to why I couldn't give it back.. Then I took a Czar out.. in about 15 minutes, I was trying to figure out how to explain to the wife why I needed a $3k FRAME!

Best money spent. I would do it again in a heartbeat! The Czar is.. everything you think it should be, and more.

Best part about the Czar, is riding it, worst part, not riding it..

mtbr member
    First, my LBS is demonising me again for some discount on the Czar, now it was you sweet talking me about the Czar...
    I am pushing hard to get my Truth sold so it will be less heavy on my wallet.
    You are right, 1 turner is not enough

Cheers,
    Only thing I see you're missing is carbon. Just swapping out frames with that killer light build you have on your Sultan and you'll be down around 22 lbs..... and will have something faster, snappier and almost as downhill worthy.

Call me the devil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Only thing I see you're missing is carbon. Just swapping out frames with that killer light build you have on your Sultan and you'll be down around 22 lbs..... and will have something faster, snappier and almost as downhill worthy.

Call me the devil.
    I need to come up some excuses! :-D
    I would also need a PF30 BB and crankset to make it rolling!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post
    Read my thread..

Turner Czar Build Thread

I rode a demo Sultan, really LOVED it, didn't want to give it back.. I was driving it back to the shop coming up with excuses as to why I couldn't give it back.. Then I took a Czar out.. in about 15 minutes, I was trying to figure out how to explain to the wife why I needed a $3k FRAME!

Best money spent. I would do it again in a heartbeat! The Czar is.. everything you think it should be, and more.

Best part about the Czar, is riding it, worst part, not riding it..
    Thanks Dan,
    it was your build that I got actually stoked on the Czar a while back and get me start saving!
    then I got a killer deal on the Sultan, which I actually ignored for so long because of its tallish stack height and longish CS.
    Now this...Oh man! Just a little more pinky-push and I'm hook I guess ;-)

mtbr member
    I would also need a PF30 BB and crankset to make it rolling!
    No..you can get a PF30 BB with the adapters for your SRAM...it's actually really easy.

mtbr member

My XC Sultan

Alright! I'm excited!
    1 medium Czar now on hold for me. Pick up at my LBS will be next week.
    Now for the crank, shall I go Xx1 or RF next??? Opinion please?😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

My XC Sultan

That was a quick decision, must be nice to have the cash to throw down on new Czar. Congrats. I vote RF Next for looks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey, Mikkosan
    I've got a 2011 Medium Sultan spending more time in the garage than on the trails. Let me know if you wanna scratch that itch.
    - Pat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    That was a quick decision, must be nice to have the cash to throw down on new Czar. Congrats. I vote RF Next for looks
    I look into the RF Next too but the ring interface are different with my current Wolftooth on X.0 crank.
    I think will consider conversion kit from CK for the meantime...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sidelined View Post
    Hey, Mikkosan
    I've got a 2011 Medium Sultan spending more time in the garage than on the trails. Let me know if you wanna scratch that itch.
    - Pat
    There you go!
    I'm afraid that may happen to my Sultan too once I get the Czar built up :-(

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: My XC Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by sidelined View Post
    Hey, Mikkosan
    - Pat
    Oh man that's so tempting! Unfortunately the missus and I agreed to a one bike quiver for now. (Unless you're willing to take a swap for a 5Spot!) Haha!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Oh man that's so tempting! Unfortunately the missus and I agreed to a one bike quiver for now. (Unless you're willing to take a swap for a 5Spot!) Haha!
    Hahaha... that won't work for me as I am trying to manage the confusion!:
    Name:  12248001724_b98a8667ed.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  165.9 KB Name:  11682869026_d0af19ce8d.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  248.0 KB

But this thread has given me some ideas about how to change the set up of the Sultan....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast