Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

My Weekend with the Czar

I got home last night from Sea Otter, where DT very generously let me take the Czar out for a couple of extended test rides. This consisted mostly of a pre-ride of the XC course that covered about 1/2 and then the long Sea Otter XC course as a participant in the MTB Gran Fondo. So I was able to get 4 hours of saddle time in on it.

I guess the first thing that comes to mind after riding this bike is it's fast! This is a bike that encourages to keep pushing a little bit harder, both on the ups and the downs. With the long front triangle, and the short rear, I found myself feeling stretched out over the front to keep my weight centered. With the short chainstays, it was easy to keep enough weight over the rear wheel to maintain traction while hammering out of the saddle. On the descents, I would find myself looking for the rougher line to see what would happen. On the relatively smooth Sea Otter course, I was able to feel confident that the bike could take whatever I could give it. In ruts, the large chainstays kept the wheels in plane, and I did not notice any sort of vague feelings where the back half of the bike wasn't sure if it wanted to go in the same direction as the front. As far as the handling goes, it's pure Turner. I felt very confident on the wide open high speed stuff, and with the shorter rear end the bike really carves the singletrack well. I'm looking forward to riding a Czar on my local tight singletrack trails in the Central Coast chaparral.

The demo bikes were set up with Turner's top end XX1/Enve kit. This makes for a bike that weighs a little over 23 pounds, ready to ride, but did not feel flimsy under my 210 pounds of out of shape XC rider. After flogging it around the 20+ mile SOC course, all I can say is that lighter is better. The 1x11 drivetrain is impressive. The bike was set up with a 30T front ring, and with the 42T rear cog I was able to ride "The Wall" (a 75 yard granny gear climb) on the Sea Otter XC course without wanting to throw up at the top.

After riding an Epic for a little over a year, I am very happy to be back on a DW Link bike. On the Epic, I had to turn the brain way up in order for it to pedal acceptably well. With the Czar, I rode the CTD shock in the D position for the entire Gran Fondo, and it did not bob excessively. For long pavement or fire road climbs, I would probably switch it to the C position. But for most everything else, the D position works well.

I think the 2+ years DT spent developing this bike certainly paid off. This bike distinguishes itself from the many other carbon XC bikes that are out there. I am looking forward to building up one of my own.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It's starting to sound more and more like it's time to retire my Flux.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Any word on pricing? I am betting 2.8K.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I say 3.2

mtbr member
    When the Czar was first up on the website I swore it had an MSRP of $2995, but it has since been changed to 'TBD'.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

My Weekend with the Czar

Arm+leg, just as all carbon bikes are. As they say in the car world, speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    When the Czar was first up on the website I swore it had an MSRP of $2995, but it has since been changed to 'TBD'.
    i saw that as well. or in a press release, but for sure the number was $2995

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The product info tag that was on the bikes at Sea Otter said $2995. The TBD may have been cached from an earlier version on the page by your browser.

mtbr member
    I was actually referring to Turner's website. Not sure where I saw the $2995, but I know I saw it somewhere!

Snapper
    really interested in a Csar as an allrounder. I am a big bloke at 240 and 6.5 and love the Turner stiffness and ride but just didnt get on with the Sultan. It was too sluggish for me - you'd expect that from an XL 29er. I preferred the ride of my old TNT Sultan over the DWL as it was racier, lighter and better in the slow tight stuff. If I could afford one - it would be 11 speed with a dropper post, 110mm TA fork, short stem and wide bars and beefie tyres. The one bike for 96% of my riding.
    Well done Turner
    How you just need to get the Australian distributors fired up to champion your brand - they are as passionate as a $25 hooker. Seriously my 5 year old could offer better customer service than the distributor.
    Australia needs love too DT.
    Last edited by johnd663; 04-23-2013 at 12:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the review 2Turnersareneverenough, sounds mighty impressive.

Do you still have access to the bike, I was wondering if you can you tell me what the wheel base comes in at? What size frame was it by the way?

And yes Johnd663, who is the Aus distributor? I agree with you, most 5 years are more cashed up than this and can afford far better hookers than the $25 ones - I think that is what you meant....

Snapper
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    And yes Johnd663, who is the Aus distributor? I agree with you, most 5 years are more cashed up than this and can afford far better hookers than the $25 ones - I think that is what you meant....
    no William you missed that one a touch - my 5 year old is not offended

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    When I asked DT about pricing, he hollered 2900 or so
    Awesome bike to look at. And I was equally impress with the
    SRAM xx1 set up

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Thanks for the review 2Turnersareneverenough, sounds mighty impressive.

Do you still have access to the bike, I was wondering if you can you tell me what the wheel base comes in at? What size frame was it by the way?
    Sadly, I had to give it back. I didn't get a chance to measure the WB, but I'm 5'10" and rode a large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anyone thinking of using a 120mm fork with the Czar?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If anyone cannot get them in your area, drop us a line. As long as there is no ACTIVE and supporting Turner Bikes people we will sell direct. There are too many gaps in the Turner Bikes dealer map to not go direct.

PS, this thread us USELESS without photos, lots of them.

DT
    Last edited by turnerbikes; 04-23-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: PHOTOS!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Noted, thanks DT.

Big kudos for a great looking bike and some very purposeful geo...

Can I trouble anyone for a WB measurement on a L Czar please?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thats why the shop I run out here is a dealer.

mtbr member
    DT,
    How far is Murrieta from Santa Clara?
    I will be in the area middle of May,
    I wanna test ride a medium Czar too if possible ;-)
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    DT,
    How far is Murrieta from Santa Clara?
    I will be in the area middle of May,
    I wanna test ride a medium Czar too if possible ;-)
    About 400 miles... SC is Northern California, Murrieta is Southern California, north of San Diego.

Bob

Go Bears!
    Mar 2004
    About 6 hours drive or 1+ hour flight if you're really motivated. Well who knows how long a flight will be with the new security these days. Driving might be faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    About 400 miles... SC is Northern California, Murrieta is Southern California, north of San Diego.

Bob
    Thanks Bob,
    Seems my chance is very slim :-(
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

SCV
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    When the Czar is launched SCV will be happy to supply. We have been eagerly awaiting its arrival. Feel free to call us and talk to us. More than happy to discuss any issues you may think we need to address.
    SV

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd663 View Post
    How you just need to get the Australian distributors fired up to champion your brand - they are as passionate as a $25 hooker. Seriously my 5 year old could offer better customer service than the distributor.
    Australia needs love too DT.
    Hi johnd663, sorry to hear of your experience with Aust distro. Mine has been quite the opposite. The guys at SCV have been very helpful to me with my Turner Flux. I can't wait for the czar to arrive in Aus.
    P.S. I like your proposed setup - bring it on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    If anyone cannot get them in your area, drop us a line. As long as there is no ACTIVE and supporting Turner Bikes people we will sell direct. There are too many gaps in the Turner Bikes dealer map to not go direct.

PS, this thread us USELESS without photos, lots of them.

DT
    !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Weekend with the Czar-czar.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast