mtbr member

my view of tnt at IB demo

Just got back from the ‘show, and rode the new spot,pack,nitrous and every other 5- 6” trail bike I could find.

First let me say I could not feel the difference between the old and the new, but I do not own one and only rode each bike for 30 minutes. I did set them up (I carried a shock pump with me and set up each bike carefully)

This makes me wonder how far foreward the IC really was on the older bikes, especially under sag.

I feel the biggest difference between the new bikes and the Ventana/Kona etc are the very minor details. The pivot of the Turner is indeed higher than the Ventana is, the turners are in line with a 22t ring. The ventana is below a 22t by a little bit. This matters, as well as the BB height. These combined with the rate the link provides makes for a quicker accelerating Turner. The feel of the rate is not as soft initially and that gives the Turner a bit more initial solid feel.

If it wasn’t for the flat link of the spot the horst would be worse than a low single pivot. All the horst bikes of the past are more soggy feeling than a low single pivot is if it is not ICT

I found that between all the vpp bikes I rode and the new turner/single pivot bikes was that you could take a sp bike and put the pivot in a location to mimic the vpp 95%.For instance the Blur feels so damn similar to the heckler it makes me wonder if all those pivots are really worth it. I call it marketing.

Really what I’m trying to say is that on the graph the old one was 5% better but possibly the new one is stiffer in terms of fighting flex and that is more important to me.I told dave that I was considering a pack but I did not want the horst link and now he makes the bike I want!

Really there is no God.as long as we have 3 rings to deal with even ICT has its limits,so why not go single pivot and gain some strenght and stiffnes?

Now if that pivot was just up 10mms or so it would be my personal favorite setup giving a hint of firmness to the granny and a little more snap to the middle ring.

Kris.

Silence and Thunder...

wow!

Thanks for some first-hand impressions.
    ...every day sends future to past...