Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Smile My Spot feels a touch constipated

I rode a sealed bearing bike with a coil over shock that just ate up trail bumps that were not so readily eaten up by my Spot. I wonder if between the inherent stiction of bushings and my overdamped RP3 if I am dealing with too much stiction and a sluggish shock. I better just sending the shock to PUSH would bring the rear end alive.

Jaybo

PS I like my sticky Turner rear end

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I rode a sealed bearing bike with a coil over shock that just ate up trail bumps that were not so readily eaten up by my Spot. I wonder if between the inherent stiction of bushings and my overdamped RP3 if I am dealing with too much stiction and a sluggish shock. I better just sending the shock to PUSH would bring the rear end alive.

Jaybo

PS I like my sticky Turner rear end

Geeze, Jaybo. Are we supposed to guess? What did you compare it with?

Was everything the same? Obviously not.

different bike... most likely different tires... Different shock... bearings

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It was an Azonic frame with a Romic shock

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Geeze, Jaybo. Are we supposed to guess? What did you compare it with?

Was everything the same? Obviously not.

different bike... most likely different tires... Different shock... bearings
    It ate up the bumps much better. A 6" bike might have been part of it.

Jaybo

"Its All Good"

Jaybo
    Push it hard Push it good Jaybo, all will be well again on ya Spotty.......................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Jaybo
    Let's see. If everything else were equal (and they're not), a 6" bike will be around 20% plusher than a 5" bike. Add to that... a Romic is plusher than an RP3.

I'm not surprised that the Saber felt plusher. It should have. The bearings vs bushings is probably the smallest difference in the lot.

I recently switched back to the Romic because it was better than the RP3 for the downhill portions of my riding.

Post back if you get the RP3 pushed. I'm trying to decide whether to do that.

Lay off the Levers
    The constipation may be more in the thought process. JB

As Blue and others said, first there's the travel... my 5" Spot feels quite noticeably less plush than my 6" RFX and that's using the same shock... another big factor you didn't have, besides the obvious things like different bikes, tires, wheels, tire pressures, Tire volumes, Spring settings, forks...need I go on?

Then there's the RP3... I've never been able to get it to feel even remotely as plush as my DHX or Romic. Even using half the required pressure(hint, don't do this), it was squatty sloppy and STILL not as plush.

Finally there's the bushings... c'mon man... You have a ~500+# spring, a very effective propedal system and bumps that generate forces that far exceed both... the pivot stiction isn't even in the same universe as far as magnitude. We're talking about a single grape on a truckload of watermellons. Maybe it can be felt in a basement test but that's about it.

I'd say boredom or UGI is playing tricks on your mind.

Either way getting it Pushed will certainly get the Isht flowing again.
    How do you like that Darren...now you're the master of constipation relief!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Good job! I'll let you know

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    The constipation may be more in the thought process. JB

As Blue and others said, first there's the travel... my 5" Spot feels quite noticeably less plush than my 6" RFX and that's using the same shock... another big factor you didn't have, besides the obvious things like different bikes, tires, wheels, tire pressures, Tire volumes, Spring settings, forks...need I go on?

Then there's the RP3... I've never been able to get it to feel even remotely as plush as my DHX or Romic. Even using half the required pressure(hint, don't do this), it was squatty sloppy and STILL not as plush.

Finally there's the bushings... c'mon man... You have a ~500+# spring, a very effective propedal system and bumps that generate forces that far exceed both... the pivot stiction isn't even in the same universe as far as magnitude. We're talking about a single grape on a truckload of watermellons. Maybe it can be felt in a basement test but that's about it.

I'd say boredom or UGI is playing tricks on your mind.

Either way getting it Pushed will certainly get the Isht flowing again.
    How do you like that Darren...now you're the master of constipation relief!
    I had a Pushed Vanilla and found it very durable and non clunky but wasn't overwhelmed by it. Nonetheless, I hear the rear shocks Pushing (verb?) makes a big difference.

Anyone considering a DHX Coil Over for a RP3? Just a thought. You would lose a pound on your stead

Jaybo

By the way, I"m not complaining. I love my Spot but always looking for some reason to upgrade. Too much time or money...I have neither. Hmmm

Lay off the Levers
    Apart from the weight, I personally prefer the DHX-C over the RP3 for aggro riding. For smoother faster XC style riding on trails w/o a lot of rocky choppy stuff I thing the RP3 would really shine b/c of it's lower weight and snappy response. JMO

As for Pushing your RP3, take some time and get a real solid idea what you want out of the shock, then call Push and have a conversation to see how they can dial it the way you want.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Members who have read this thread: 0