Lay off the Levers

My Ride with Al Gore (Seq pictorial)

Got Bandwidth?

We're havin' a heat wave!

.................................................. .........................
    Global warming my arse... NY is always seventy degrees in January.

Some guy came blazing throught the parking lot shirtless. After the first ten minuets of climbing I was ready to do the same thing. You'll be glad to know I resisted that temptation. What I couldn't resist is taking a bunch of timer shots on this glorious day! Here's a virtual come-along pictorial...probably just the thing for a pre-ride stoke or to view on a gloomy Monday...but why wait?

After warming up my legs on the climb I warmed up my skills on my favorite little wheelie-drop.

After I hit it a few times and moved on to groove on "MFT"("My Favorite Trail" That's it's name). This is a fun technical trail. The first 30 yards give you a chance to get your head together...I'm already eyeing up the first bit-o-fun.

As a matter of fact this whole trail follows a 30 yard rule. Techy stuff is separated by no more that 30 yards start to finish. It's dense with fun and only takes about 20 mins to do if you don't stop to shoot and play.

Even though it was warm enough to go swimming, I still had the fashon sense to wear a seasonal full-meat-jacket:

The camera muted the minor climbing nature of that last bit but just over the crest it comes down into a nice little group of notches:

The notches dip into a little gully for another few yards and then it's back to the fun!

Check the O-Face as I realize I'm a bit late on the lift. I made it though.(no really!)

(More)
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 01-07-2007 at 05:56 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Lay off the Levers
    After that crest it drops into much more choppy notchy stuff, a little rock bridge and some other narrow stuff. There are challenges like this every few yards. Then it opens up to a nice little slickrock dome. Once upon a time this was a major hurdle for me. Now I get a charge out of not thinking twice about it:

If I stopped to shoot every bit of fun on this trail I'd still be out there. BUT I did make a point to spend some time shooting my favorite section of rollers! Three nice rollers linked together. I shot the first one on timers and hooked up with some kewl fellas Kevin and Justin. And we rode and shot the rest of the trail together.
    The first bit looks like this:

This is how it looks from the cockpit:

And on with the fun!

Then a quick right and up on the blue whale:

A left on the whale and setup for the real fun:

(More)

Lay off the Levers
    What fun? This fun!

Notice my attention is focused down the trail?

I wonder why?

Getting ready to pump it up:

Yeah Baby! but it ain't over yet, not by a long shot:

(more still)

Lay off the Levers
    Here's the the last of the triplets:

Kevin got in on the fun too! He liked it so much he hit the midde roller several times...okay me too.

He got a little off the back here but...

He nailed it smooth as butter every other time:

Then on to more fun...

Lay off the Levers
    MFT's MFD("My Favorite Drop" okay I made that up) We did this drop a few times...

Notice the casual expression on Kev's face? It's almost like he's thinking, "Oh that's where the ground went."

There were plenty of other techy bits and we had a blast:

wrapup...

Nothing here
    Sweet. Gotta love El Nino. Great pix. Zilla you look half nekkid without the full on armor for your legs. Must of been super hot

Lay off the Levers
    Heres a seq showing my tiptoe through the tulips:

There was a bunch more fun on MFT and Kev and Just broke-out after that. I went on solo to hit one more roller and then come back down the Mellienium and stinger trails:

I really gotta work on that o-face thing

It was nice spending the afternoon with some good guys and the golden sunshine.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Fantastic shots Zilla - never mind you coming back our way we need to get you to show us "my/your favourite trail" BTW I have never seen so many cars at the top of skyline as there were today....what a stunning weekend of weather

what...?
    Lemme guess.....Sprain?

It was 73 on the island yesterday, so I went road riding (trails too muddy) in shorts and shortsleeve jersey. Just gotta love it. Enjoy it today, it was a gift. Back to the 30's by mid week

We hit Glacier Ridge this am. Dude...the trail is up to almost 11 miles now and the new sections are getting harder and harder!
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

Lay off the Levers
    jm: Blue Mt. Mapped and public trail! No secret's here it's all good!

Wilks: Any time My brotha! Come on out. There's plenty of trail candy at Blue. MFT is now a minor trail compared to Monster Stinger and Debacle...the best part is we can hit it all in one ride!

mtbr member

Zilla you look great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownrash
    Sweet. Gotta love El Nino. Great pix. Zilla you look half nekkid without the full on armor for your legs. Must of been super hot
    You look great! I love the outfit. I wish I could ride that trail. It looks sweet.

U-Rash is jelouse because apparently he quit riding trails.

Zilla- I bet if you had a riding buddy you would never stop talking to him for no aparent reason . Have fun and never lose a riding buddy like the one in the pictures.

I can wait to get my 5.75 rockers, DHXc, Pike and Wheels for my spot....

PS I dig the green/gold combo.
    Sit and spin my ass...

Outcast
    71 degrees? FOCK! I hate you Alex!
    j/k
    thanks for sharing your pics. I forgot what bare ground looks like. My backyard is an artic wasteland. My only excercise is shoveling snow.
    I still think you should try flat pedals.

Edit: this is my payback for giving you grief about New York humid, buggy summers.
    Last edited by Renegade; 01-07-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Lay off the Levers
    Renny, I was going to ride this morning but I had to mow the lawn...dammed xmas ornimants kept getting in the way.

Rasta... no worries man I have a regular crew of ~2 dozen guys I know and ride with whenever I can shake my hangover and get up early enough to hook up with. I perfer to ride solo when I'm out of shape though.

Speaking of uh, shape...jmtbkr, when ya commin up? We owe you for hosting us out at RP.

Rash, belive it or not the kneepads are actually a 10 yr old set of Rollerblade pads. I've grown quite fond of them. They're light and flexible and have a hard shell for the NE rocks. Perfect for trail duty. I only wear the long pads for psycho isht now.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 01-07-2007 at 11:53 AM.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Great pics and great riding...but damn those dead leaves, moss, and damp rocks give a west Texas desert dry rider like me shivers up my backbone...LOL! Good stuff, Zilla.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    .Rash, belive it or not the kneepads are actually a 10 yr old set of Rollerblade pads. I've grown quite fond of them. They're light and flexible and have a hard shell for the NE rocks. Perfect for trail duty. I only wear the long pads for psycho isht now.
    After taking 15 layers of skin off of my knee in an endo incident a couple weeks ago I bought those Kyle Strait six six one knee pds - I like them, comfy and offer solid protection and they don't seem to interfere with pedaling at all...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    wow! outstandin stoke bz! looks like things have dried out here enough to ride again but between the 35mph winds and a full day at work, its not lookin good. home for a spell after recordin my show (plays till 6pm cst on www.kg95.com if yer interested) and havin to go back for a hockey game appearence. i get to stand out in the wind and shake hands. weeeeee! maybe ill just leave the truck and go have a beer.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Howz about a little update on the rear suspension and Avy shock.

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    Nice shots Zilla....Thanks for the stoke!

mtbr member

Stay off the brakes

long standing member
    Cools shots, 'Zilla. This drop-in looks pretty hairy. With that practically non-existent transition to flat, your Zoke is yelling, "bring it on!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    wow! outstandin stoke bz! looks like things have dried out here enough to ride again but between the 35mph winds and a full day at work, its not lookin good. home for a spell after recordin my show (plays till 6pm cst on www.kg95.com if yer interested) and havin to go back for a hockey game appearence. i get to stand out in the wind and shake hands. weeeeee! maybe ill just leave the truck and go have a beer.
    Hey Cactus, I went to that link to look up your show (didn't know you were in the biz....!). Since I am new to homerville, I didn't know what to key in the search to find your show. Could you let me know what the name of it is?
    Tryin' to keep the tires on the ground.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Looks fun Zilla, but I think I hate you with the weather were having

I like the landing shot off the rock drop, looks like your getting full travel, the rock rollers look steep!

just click on the "listen live" link in the upper right area.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    CC show in a few minutes
    Stay off the brakes

trail fairy
    Yo dude awesome stuff BZ good to see ya cranking it great shooting who does yr photo shoots

On one of those there pics looks like the crank is on the ground u got enough spring rate there dude

Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

KDK
    mtbr member
    Fantastic shots !! Awsome !! Inspiring !! What a way to begin our work day !!

involuntary dismounter
    dude...nice to see you putting that pimpin' bike to good use!
    i don't know if i'd be wearing short sleeves when it's 71 - but i think AZ has made me soft!
    very cool pics and story!
    one question: does the camera crew mountain bike with you in between shots, or do they have a little ATV? do they have yor other bike on it too? like race support?
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Lay off the Levers
    TA, That drop gets litte traffic so the leaves are deep and loose. But yeah that's a great shot b/c it's very close to the moment of impact. I think I still have a little stroke left. It sure felt like it.

PC, Yeah my Zoke was yellin bring it on... my Avy only mumbled "wake me when we do something interesting"

Kevalu, to anyone sitting on the fence about getting a pro-built shock: Every day you ride without one is a day you'll wish you could have back once you get it. This shock takes 30%+ off my vertical perception of everything. It rides WAY-out in front of my fork... that is things I'm thinking about how my front wheel will hit are already off my radar for the back. The balance and traction has improved tremendously. I was plowing into techy climbs and taking them all wrong and still making them with confidence. tricky climbs that used to frequently beat me just shrugged off. It's hard to describe but it's a lot like how Krispy described how his '07 climbed better it somehow keeps me going even when I think I can't. Ripping downhill at speed was just plain silly. Hits that pow-pow-POW'ed off the front wheel seems to disappear out the back end. It keeps getting better and better.
    *Edit* Bear in mind I also increased the travel to ~7" when I changed the shock, but the geometry is almost the same. I'm not saying this is the same as an '07 I'm saying my experience was a similar revalation to Krispy's description...all good and even better.

RR, I haven't forgotten you request for pix of the MHR 2.1s on my spot...I Gave up trying to inflate them untill I get a compresser. I tried half a dozen times and I'm totally frustrated. Too bad b/c I love these tires on my RFX (2.3s).

CC: Now that you're a celebrity can you send me an autograph?

*Edit:
    dH: I borrowed Aqua's media crew since he's not using them. Check it, Pgs 1, 2, and the last two roller pix were timer shots. Kevin shot the roller plaground and MFD Niiiiiccce! Timer shots on drops is way hard, b/c my camera pauses to refocus between frames when the timer is on.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 01-08-2007 at 10:32 PM.

not so super...
    Nice camera and bike work Zilla! I'm glad someone on the east coast got to enjoy a little of the early summer.

It was 70 down here also but between the 4" of rain, thunder and lightning and tornados I did't get to get out.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 01-08-2007 at 08:31 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

i think ive signed 2 autographs in my life. 1 at a restraunt when i was 1st on the air in az and another while standin beside my race car at a mall show, also in az. if ya wanna waste a moment in both our lives ill make ya # 3.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    Kool, I'll mail ya a roll of Charmin.

Gotcha!

great idea and a true measure of its worth.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    I'm totally jealous of all your 70 degree days. I got to school at 6:45am this morning and the whole west side of town was shut down because of 50+mph wind that had blown the power out. They cancelled school because of drifting and ground blizzards. Pretty different from the weather you all are having.
    Tryin' to keep the tires on the ground.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hey Zilla, I decided to go with the 2.3 high roller for the Burner, a little fat and heavy but I fiqure I will run it this winter for snow rides, I can also use it on the RFX as a trail tire just won't be tubeless. I've got 2.3 UST's front and rear now on the Burner, lower the PSI to 30-35 and they grip real good in soft snow cond's.

mtbr member
    This is all wrong you're out there riding like it was spring while we're getting ripped with one nasty storm after another; the leaves on the ground remind me of what it looked like at the end of season-not the middle of winter. El Nino, Pineapple Express; what's next!

But there's no getting around the fact you're out there having fun; glad you're liking that new shock; I hope you're happy, you're responsible for making me add one to my gotta have it list

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Sweet! You'd fit in well in SoCal. We have this stuff all "winter" long.....

banned
    Wow... that was special stuff! Thanks. We are to the gills in snow. Those pics really calm the jones!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    ...between the 4" of rain, thunder and lightning and tornados I did't get to get out.
    Sissy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bite Me.
    Next time post a few more pictures will ya? Just so you can really rub it in.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Sissy!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It was only out of respect for the trails and trail builders - it had nothing to do with my personal safety
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    It was only out of respect for the trails and trail builders - it had nothing to do with my personal safety
    ....R35p3ct!

trail fairy
    TA, That drop gets litte traffic so the leaves are deep and loose. But yeah that's a great shot b/c it's very close to the moment of impact. I think I still have a little stroke left. It sure felt like it.
    Ahh yes I see that now very cool that shock must be good with a DHX the leaves would have been flying all over the place thats what made it so hard to pick up, maybe you'll need to upgrade to a RC2X or Totem 2 step to compete with the Avy
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Too Much Fun

Good job! Nice Zilla, NICE.

Thanks for the post. You made my morning.

I miss the East Coast Rippin' & Rompin' !!
    - -benja- -

Members who have read this thread: 0