mtbr member
    Feb 2004

My Purchase from Anex bikes, a long and cautionary tale…

Here's the story (sorry for the length!),

I purchased what was described as a 2012 Turner 5-Spot mountain bikes from Anex Bikes. Seemed to be a good deal on a fairly new bike that was described as a '9 out of 10'. When the bike arrived it was maybe a '6 out of 10', the rear tire was bald, the front shock lockout did not work and needed major service (before I purchased the bike I asked about the condition of the fork and shock and was told they were in good working order and the fork had been recently serviced), the chain was too short and the cables were badly frayed. The saddle was also totally trashed. I took pictures of the shipping box and the way the bike was packed inside the box and it didn't look like any of the damage was as a result of shipping. Total list of problems, new chain, rear tire and cables, bike needed a full tune-up and fork needs a full service. Saddle was trashed but I have a garage full of saddles so that was the least of my worries.

I reached out to Tyler at Anex and he said he really only checked out the frame (which was in good shape) and didn't pay attention to the other areas of the bike. His quote below...

New message from: anex_bikes (413 )
    Sorry to hear about the issues; it was my own fault to focus more on the frame's condition than the actual parts when describing, which I take responsibility for. Certainly wasn't my intent to mislead.
    Let me know what you feel is fair.

That seemed reasonable, and I told him that when you buy a used bike you often have to do a tune-up and a couple things to get it ready so if he would pay half to get the bike in running order I would pick up the other half. That seemed very fair on my part; he agreed and gave me a partial refund. That seemed reasonable so I accepted the refund and thought the deal was completed. He seemed like a decent guy and I got the impression that he either flipped a bike he just got or it was prepped by someone else at Anex, so I closed the claim on eBay, sent him feedback and went for a quick ride. Despite the initial issues with the bike and the fork not being serviced yet, it rode nicely (hey, it is a Turner!).

Early the next day when I was doing research to determine what my options were in case the fork needed to be replaced, I was checking out the Turner site and saw all the changes that have been done to the 5-Spot since it came out. I decided to look at the serial number just to verify the year of the frame and discovered it was actually a 2009, not a 2012 model. This made sense based on the wear and type of the components (you wouldn’t usually expect to see 9 speed stuff on a 2012…)

I sent a message to Tyler asking him about this and here’s his reply;

New message from: anex_bikes (414 )
    The exact year is always a mystery; keep in mind I built the bike from the frame up, so there's no way to say that everything is 2012 or 2007 or what have you: it's a mix of a lot of years. I was told it was a 2012 frame when I purchased it; Turner went to the DW Link in 2009. The frame really never saw any changes until they began introducing it in 27.5" format a few years back. Shouldn't be an issue.

Two things struck me from his reply,
    #1 earlier he had mentioned he just focused on the frame and not the components and now he’s saying he built the bike from the frame up. So I’m assuming he knew about all the issues the bike had and still advertised it as a ‘9 out of 10’ anyway.
    #2 He also didn’t care what the year of the frame was but listed it as a 2012 to sell it easier (IMO).

To follow-up on his claim that the year of the frame shouldn’t be an issue (as long as it’s a DW) I went to the Man himself, Dave Turner. Here’s his reply after I gave him the serial number and asked if it was a 2009.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sat, Nov 29, 2014 12:11 pm
    Subject: Re: Turner General Tech Support

That is when it was made, yes.

Does it have the oversized HT for tapered fork? How about 142 x12mm thru axle with a large DTSwiss to hold the wheel on? Probably not,,, It looks like you were scammed.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After hearing this I contacted Tyler again. Here’s his response below.

New message from: anex_bikes (414 )
    Sorry for the clerical error in listing the bike, but this is where the pictures are important. You can see that the two things Dave mentioned in his email (tapered steerer and 12x142 thru-axle) aren't present. The steerer is straight; and the rear drop-out is quick-release. I'm not sure why this is just now becoming an issue; if you had purchased the bike specifically for those two differentiating features, you would have realized the frame wasn't a 2012 upon glancing at the pictures, and especially the moment you pulled the bike out of the box. You wouldn't be bringing this up to me in hind-sight.

I replied by saying that this became an issue because of the poor condition of the fork and if I needed to replace it what would I need, straight or tapered? He also blamed me for not spotting the error in the ad, but took no responsibility himself. Is it really too much to think that people will list their ads accurately and truthfully? It’s also not just the additional features, but you’re buying a bike that is 3 years older and has that much more wear and abuse on it.

Tyler never replied and all communication stopped.

Since I was stupid enough to close the eBay claim, I opened a claim with PayPal. After a couple weeks of sending them information, including a signed letter by my LBS (who is a Turner dealer) verifying the poor condition of the bike and the fact that it was not a 2012 as advertised, PayPal dismissed the claim. As explained to me, their policy is if you do anything to the product after it’s delivered, you own it. So, in this case because I had my LBS repair some of the damaged / not working parts just so I could ride the bike, it’s now mine. When I told them that even though I did fix the bike the serial number still proves that the item was misrepresented, they told me they didn’t care. I even had pictures of the bike still in the shipping box before any work was done showing the trashed out seat and bald rear tire and overall poor condition, and once again, they told me they didn’t care. They made a real fuss over getting the signed appraisal letter from my LBS, and never contacted them or followed up on it. Once again, they didn’t care. (got to say at least they’re consistent…)

I’ve been selling and buying bikes for close to 20 years, and have had a couple issues but never anything like this. Tyler may actually be a decent guy, and anybody can have a bad deal here and there, but based on my experience I would never buy anything from him again. And if you’re thinking about it, I would certainly ask the serial number of the bike and the exact year of the components and receipts / documentation for any work that he says he’s done.

Finally, this is not a Greek tragedy, I’ll pour a lot more money and effort into the bike than I had thought, but it's still a good bike; it's just not what I thought I was buying...

mtbr member
    That's a shame. Sorry you were misled. Also, not to pile on but in 2010 the seat tube was strengthened with an extra gusset as I recall. It seems to me one must scour over photos when looking at buying a used frame or bike making sure everything adds up. Enjoy the ride though. My son has an 09 Spot that's still going strong and he's the 2nd owner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Did you try your credit card company (if that's how you do PayPal)?

I got into a similar -- though non-bike -- situation a few years ago, and whatever bank does my REI Visa was a friggin TIGER on my behalf.

It might not be too late.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sounds more like a used car lot than a bike shop - yikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Did you try your credit card company (if that's how you do PayPal)?

I got into a similar -- though non-bike -- situation a few years ago, and whatever bank does my REI Visa was a friggin TIGER on my behalf.

It might not be too late.
    Very good point, I'll look into this. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Like many, you were more interested in getting a good deal than a good bike. And then, shamelessly, you drag the manufacturer and your local LBS/Turner dealer into this mess after the fact. You should have been supporting the shop by purchasing a Turner there.

I have no sympathy or empathy for you - just desserts!?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppo View Post
    Like many, you were more interested in getting a good deal than a good bike. And then, shamelessly, you drag the manufacturer and your local LBS/Turner dealer into this mess after the fact. You should have been supporting the shop by purchasing a Turner there.

I have no sympathy or empathy for you - just desserts!?
    What if he couldn't afford a new bike? Or wanted a 5-spot considering they're discontinued?

Think/ask before you assume.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cratermaker- yes you should have been more careful and done your research but nevertheless you were ripped off and if you can pursue the credit card route then you should do it.

Gruppo, you're just another troll, shut up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    SD is correct, and I think I admitted that. Cost was a consideration, I thought I was getting a good deal on a great bike that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford. Also, I didn't purchase the bike at the dealer but I did have all the work done there with parts that were purchased from them so I tried to support them as much as possible. Finally, I wasn't looking for sympathy, just thinking someone else could learn from my mistake...

gnuH
    Move on, ride it hard and enjoy. The changes Turner has made to the Spot over the years are not huge, and IMO not having them doesn't make it any less of a bike. My only area (as mentioned above) of concern would be the seat tube/BB interface where DT added a small gusset due to cracking issues. I had my 09 replaced under warrantee due to a crack there.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

mtbr member
    Funny how I got neg repped (not by the OP) for suggesting people do their research before buying used stuff. It never hurts to double check the manufacturers specs against what the seller is advertising that's all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I believe you have 120 days with your CC company to file a claim.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Is there not a used bicycle buyers advice forum?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've contacted Anex a couple times on PB for parts. Never had a good impression; the company basically seems like a Craigslist-style bike flipper. Sorry you got scammed.

Crazed Country Rebel
    to OP: sorry you got ripped off.

it's apparent the seller either doesn't give a sh!t, or is a straight up scammer.

In the future, if you aren't absolutely sure what you're buying - post up! Peeps will help you.

Keep an eye on the weld between the seat tube and bottom bracket cluster.

if it develops a crack - send it back and they will add the gusset. it's much easier to do this before it completely breaks - so keep an eye on it.

Otherwise, just ride it and have fun!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    That sucks. I saw that bike on ebay and was going to send him a message telling him that was no 2012 frame. I hope you didn't pay more than a grand for it? When ever I buy stuff on line, I always research the item to make sure it's what the seller claims it to be. There are dozens of bike flippers on ebay some good some bad

LBS Manager
    If you look around different forums you will find more people that have had bad experiences with anex bikes. One of my customers got a bike from them that came with a 10 speed shifter on a 9 speed drive train. On top of that it had a short cage rapid rise rear derailleur with a triple crank set. it was also missing suspension hardware. I would advise caution when dealing with this company.