mtbr member
    Sep 2005

My new ride! - new bike content.

HI all,

I am now a legit "Homer" from across the pond ( living in the UK )

This is my new Ride!, she's just 2 weeks old.( back yard shots only I'm afraid )

Iv'e only had a couple of weekend blasts around my local trails ( south east England )
    so I haven't even began to see what she is capable of.

I hope to do some real "Mountain Biking" in Europe next year.

This is my "money no object" build!

Hope you enjoy,

cheers

Kev.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silence and Thunder...
    atta-boy Kev.
    Now stop whatever yer doing and go peel those green stickers off...quick!

Then you'll be part of the club...
    ...every day sends future to past...

Burning Burner
    Nice setup and bike! Wish you to have many km and fun with the Spot!
    If you ever come that far (Greece) drop me a line. We have great rides around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    atta-boy Kev.
    Now stop whatever yer doing and go peel those green stickers off...quick!

Then you'll be part of the club...
    This deed has been done since the pics were taken and I have also added 5spot
    stickers now!

Not sure why my frame came without them?

I will try and take some Ride pics when I next get out.

mtbr member
    Hey, berkshire.

First of all congrats, it's a very sweet ride and if you indeed go to Greece you should make a pit stop in France to ride together.

Second question I am at a lost with my brakes. My OROs are going to Barracuda in Belgium for a full repair but I want to upgrade to M4s.
    Strangely enough and although I was confident it would be an easy decision, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.
    Question is: How do you feel about yours? Have you ever been to the Alps and if so how do the brake cope with long downhills?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by accident prone
    Hey, berkshire.

First of all congrats, it's a very sweet ride and if you indeed go to Greece you should make a pit stop in France to ride together.

Second question I am at a lost with my brakes. My OROs are going to Barracuda in Belgium for a full repair but I want to upgrade to M4s.
    Strangely enough and although I was confident it would be an easy decision, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.
    Question is: How do you feel about yours? Have you ever been to the Alps and if so how do the brake cope with long downhills?
    Hi Accident,

This is my first time with M4's, so I can't say what they would be like in an Alpine environment.

I believe they should cope according to what iv'e read,possibly going with the "floating
    discs"if you are worried about heat build up,they are supposed to cope better.

They certainly feel powerfull enough with the couple of rides iv'e had so far.

It's fairly flat in this part of England so difficult to know how they are on a long decent!

Kev.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berksbiker
    Hi Accident,

This is my first time with M4's, so I can't say what they would be like in an Alpine environment.

I believe they should cope according to what iv'e read,possibly going with the "floating
    discs"if you are worried about heat build up,they are supposed to cope better.

They certainly feel powerfull enough with the couple of rides iv'e had so far.

It's fairly flat in this part of England so difficult to know how they are on a long decent!

Kev.
    Mk, thanks anyway
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice bike mate, where in berks did you get it? Got mine from mountain trax and it had no 5 spot sticker either. How are the XO triggers compared to shimano?

mtbr member

Hi BB!

Welcome to the fellowship of Southern England Turner Riders! :^)

Looks like you must be a tallish medium frame rider like me, you'll find it to be a blast!

Where do you live/ride ordinarily? I'm in the Chilterns, but the 5 Spot gets no use around here as it's totally OTT; I'm usually on the hardtail or SS unless I'm going somewhere that demands the Spot - off to the Lakes and Scotland tomorrow and Turner is my weapon of choice :^)

Enjoy it!
    'The Fear' is your friend...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbz
    Nice bike mate, where in berks did you get it? Got mine from mountain trax and it had no 5 spot sticker either. How are the XO triggers compared to shimano?

Hi Robbz,

You got it Mountain Trax,they did a great job with the build,a big thanx to Chris & Dean!

The triggers are X9 and I think they are great,the change is so precise,I would recommend them strongly.

Kev.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    Welcome to the fellowship of Southern England Turner Riders! :^)

Looks like you must be a tallish medium frame rider like me, you'll find it to be a blast!

Where do you live/ride ordinarily? I'm in the Chilterns, but the 5 Spot gets no use around here as it's totally OTT; I'm usually on the hardtail or SS unless I'm going somewhere that demands the Spot - off to the Lakes and Scotland tomorrow and Turner is my weapon of choice :^)

Enjoy it!
    Cheers Deano,

Maidenhead & Swinley or Chilts,probably will be overkill for around here.

Must get a trip to more extreme riding though,now I have the weapon of choice!

When you get back if you fancy a meet, let me know?

Kev.

Flyin Canine
    HI all,

This is my new Ride!, she's just 2 weeks old.( back yard shots only I'm afraid )

Iv'e only had a couple of weekend blasts around my local trails ( south east England )

Hope you enjoy,

cheers

Kev.

Ok, if money is no object take those panaracer "trailblasters" off and throw them in the garbage. First of all there are way, way better tires on the market these days that have better traction and wear resistance and second the guy that runs the company acts like a douchbag.

I asked the guy who was running the panaracer booth at the sea otter one time if they would consider re-naming the tire to something that didn't bring up the image of mtn bikers tearing downs trails and skidding all over the place. He basically said "I picked the name and I'm not gonna change it". He then laughed at the very thought of me asking him to think about it.

Here in Californina we have large battles being fought over trail access and he doesn't even seem to give a sh1t if we have a place to ride in the future as long as he's making money today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Ok, if money is no object take those panaracer "trailblasters" off and throw them in the garbage. First of all there are way, way better tires on the market these days that have better traction and wear resistance and second the guy that runs the company acts like a douchbag.

I asked the guy who was running the panaracer booth at the sea otter one time if they would consider re-naming the tire to something that didn't bring up the image of mtn bikers tearing downs trails and skidding all over the place. He basically said "I picked the name and I'm not gonna change it". He then laughed at the very thought of me asking him to think about it.

Here in Californina we have large battles being fought over trail access and he doesn't even seem to give a sh1t if we have a place to ride in the future as long as he's making money today.
    Thanks Shanedawg,

Believe it or not these are " specific " for riding in thick mud! which is what is starting to
    happen to the trails around the UK at this time of year!

We have to endure 4 to 5 mnths of riding Hell! in UK if we have a wet winter.

I wish I could ride somewhere like you all year round,but over here you have to be ready
    for the change in seasons.

This is the reason why these are fitted at the mo.

Thanks for the input though.

Kev.

mtbr member

Good job! Chafer strip

Hey Berks, nice ride. I like the color combi with the silver and black. I live in Maine and the weather here is going down for the winter, so I too envy those bastage westerners
    Just a suggestion to apply some kind of protector to the head tube area. The cable configuration you are running on the left side of the head tube will chafe through that finish in one or two rides. Any kind of buffer will do; from clear vinyl tape to felt furniture sliders.

Enjoy that beauty!
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
    Hey Berks, nice ride. I like the color combi with the silver and black. I live in Maine and the weather here is going down for the winter, so I too envy those bastage westerners
    Just a suggestion to apply some kind of protector to the head tube area. The cable configuration you are running on the left side of the head tube will chafe through that finish in one or two rides. Any kind of buffer will do; from clear vinyl tape to felt furniture sliders.

Enjoy that beauty!
    No worries mtnbikerx,

have already applied clear chaffing strips to all the vulnerable areas,
    got to keep her looking as good as poss for as long as poss.

I must say how impressed I am with the quality of paint and finish on the frame.

Everybody says Ventana has the best Paint,not having seen one in the flesh,I can't see
    how it can be any better?

I am glad I went with the Silver,it has a clear coat of laquer which the black doesn't have
    if i'm right.

I rode a Black demo which first drew my attention to how easy the Black seems to mark.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Kev.

UK member

Wink Ano

Anodized black frames don't have the problem with marking as quick though Kev

Chaplin Turner Overdrive

M4s

Quote Originally Posted by accident prone
    My OROs are going to Barracuda in Belgium for a full repair but I want to upgrade to M4s.
    AP - I have Mono M4s on my Spot, and was in the French Alps this summer. I'm a bit of a pu$$y, so brake quite a lot, but only weigh 11 stone so there's not a lot to stop, plus I run 200 / 180 rather than the more common 180 / 160. Best pads for the conditions were Goodridge organics. I found the M4s to be pretty good overall. I didn't experience any complete failures like my pals with old style Minis, or even the newer Mono Minis. I did find a bit of a change in lever "feel" on long descents, but never to the extent that the brake felt like it was going to fail - and I know what that feels like as I've had lots of different Hopes.. ;-) If I was doing it all again I would probably try the Maggie Louise FRs - I do like the Mono M4s, they are the best Hopes that I've personally used - but I still don't have absolute confidence in them, and that's something that is pretty important in a brake, IMO.

BB - I'm in Twyford, just up the road from you - and it looks like Mt Trax sold us virtually the same bike! Mine's changed a bit now, it seems to be putting on weight.. ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

nice ride

Thanks Shanedawg,

Believe it or not these are " specific " for riding in thick mud! which is what is starting to
    happen to the trails around the UK at this time of year!

We have to endure 4 to 5 mnths of riding Hell! in UK if we have a wet winter.

I wish I could ride somewhere like you all year round,but over here you have to be ready
    for the change in seasons.

This is the reason why these are fitted at the mo.

Thanks for the input though.

Kev.

Extremly nice bike!!
    congrats!

The wet , slippery, muddy, dark and rainy season outoff hell is also starting now up here in Finland. Hopefully we get some snow in january cos its so much nicer and lighter in woods when theres snow.

Do you get snow where you live ? never been in uk and was looking at girls during all the geography lessons?

have fun and give her all the tender she deserves.
    "There's no such thing as illegal immigrants, only illegal
    governments..."

Asian Dub Foundation

Chaplin Turner Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg

Those are Trailrakers on Kev's Spot if I'm not mistaken - mud specific and rated highly in the UK (as we have a lot of it). Couldn't agree more about the Trailblasters, complete POS. Still popular over here for some reason though - but then I like Conti Verts and Gravitys, so what do I know.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodUK
    Those are Trailrakers on Kev's Spot if I'm not mistaken - mud specific and rated highly in the UK (as we have a lot of it). Couldn't agree more about the Trailblasters, complete POS. Still popular over here for some reason though - but then I like Conti Verts and Gravitys, so what do I know.
    TrailRakers. Not much better of a name. Please Kev, when those wear out buy some other mud specific tires and don't give any more money to panaracer. Btw I yelled at the wtb guys too when they had ads out in the popular mags saying that you could "slay the trails" with their weirwolfs. They must have gotten the message because about 3-6mos after my discussion with them those ads were gone. To bad they don't make great mud tires for ya. Anyway enough ranting. Really nice ride man. Love the hope stuff.

Bike to the Bone...
    HI all,

...Hope you enjoy,

cheers

Kev.
    Kev, I hope it's you who enjoy that great bike!

Have lots and lots of fun over there.

i want spring!
    HI all,

Hope you enjoy,

cheers

Kev.
    Kev,
    How much does that bad boy weight? I'm going to be building mine up as well and i'm just wondering. It looks sweet, good luck to you!

dirtyBert
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bert
    Kev,
    How much does that bad boy weight? I'm going to be building mine up as well and i'm just wondering. It looks sweet, good luck to you!

dirtyBert
    Hi Bert,

Full spec of this build is in the Spot database,one of the last posts if you look.

The weight came in at 29lbs.

Thanks for the coments,

Kev.