Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

My new bike (non-turner content)

I had some components after the several Turner upgrades, so I bought a frame for them. The only new thing is the cranks

The frame

In process...

Release Candidate

Frame weight: 2kg
    Bike weight: 11.8kg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Really pretty ride. Looks like fun, and there's always something to be said for a nice steel hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nice....especially the orange-peel finish

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    The RC is looking great already...can't wait for RTM

banned
    You know, I've always been a fan of Marin hardtails, since I found out about them about eight years ago. I noted how most models (now down to a few) used really upscale Columbus tubing, some frames made in Italy. Why they were never a big splash here, I can't understand. Their FS bikes could be polarizing, but their hardtails are stunning.

I noted some marking at the top of the headtube. What's up with that? How good does the clearcoat look?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I noted some marking at the top of the headtube. What's up with that? How good does the clearcoat look?
    This marking is really small, and was almost gone during facing. Frame has waited for me about three years in the several bike shops, so marking is normal

mtbr member

envious

Man, I am envious of that steel build. I have a similar ( but not as extravagent ) project and It will not come close. Great Job!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    my fave part is the rear pegs. i love a nice steel hardtail myself. im a fool for sellin mine, also built from spares.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bite Me.
    Beauty - great steel, but the contrast between the Oro Biancos and the Deore cranks is something I just can't get my head around.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Powered by ice cream.
    I envy your pro level photographic skills.

Hardtails are fun. Lots of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Baked Alaskan
    Cool ride - I have to say I'm a steel fan too. After trying a couple different road bikes, AL & CF, I bought a steel touring rig and I'm really digging the ride. Its MUCH easier on the body than my previous two jackhamers were, I can ride for 2-3 hours and only feel it in the legs as opposed to before when I felt like I got ran over by a bus after every ride. Steel is real.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    You know, I've always been a fan of Marin hardtails, since I found out about them about eight years ago. I noted how most models (now down to a few) used really upscale Columbus tubing, some frames made in Italy. Why they were never a big splash here, I can't understand. Their FS bikes could be polarizing, but their hardtails are stunning.

Agree here with JC, one of my all time best bikes was my Marin Indian Fire Trail, stella frame and bike fit for me, loved it.....

A sweet looking build, the frame looks awesome
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

... I guess you won't be
    I also have a new steel hardtail coming - made by a small Ann Arbor, Mi builder, Chris Zias. Columbus Zona tubing, paragon sliding dropouts w/ der. hanger - can run it Singlespeed [default] or geared....

I love steel bikes, and maintain that if steel didn't exist, and it was recently discovered, people would be hysterically clamoring to have a bike made of it!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    that Raw frame with a clearcoat on it would be nice. Too bad scratches would then mean instant rust possibility.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Beauty - great steel, but the contrast between the Oro Biancos and the Deore cranks is something I just can't get my head around.
    Ok. What about this?

mtbr member
    Now you just need to finalize the little details. Get both valve stems rotated to the floor of the pics, and of course the cranks should be level......

Really nice looking rig. hmmm, I think I need a hardtail......

Quote Originally Posted by Archer13
    Ok. What about this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Really nice looking rig. hmmm, I think I need a hardtail......
    This thread has really made me wonder whay DT doesn't have a Hardtail in the lineup - something like the SC Chameleon, or the Cove Handjob. Something that can be geared or SS. I know DT's had other threads about this sort of thing, and outsourcing the builds and whatnot. This isn't a thread for that, but if Turner had a Steel or Alu hardtail, that could be SS or geared (maybe in 26" and 29"), and had geometry that could handle a 100-140mm fork.. And the frame sold in the $450-700 range - I think people would buy.

I guess the problem is that all of the other options in that range would require him to spec the frame from overseas to be competitive with all the Niners, SC's and other bikes in that range.

Sweet lookin ride...

Archer,
    Really great looking bike, I have always liked the Marin hardtails. Can I ride it if I ever get over to Praha?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    Can I ride it if I ever get over to Praha?
    Sure

mtbr member
    Gorgeous, looks nice.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer13
    Ok. What about this?
    PERFECT!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    1) nice ride...nice upgrades with the silver cranks and seatpost - looks great!
    2) Like Enel pointed out - you're photographic skills are top notch!
    3) Another up for steel.

here's my Steel HT - Chromag Sakura.

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
    This thread has really made me wonder whay DT doesn't have a Hardtail in the lineup - something like the SC Chameleon, or the Cove Handjob. Something that can be geared or SS. I know DT's had other threads about this sort of thing, and outsourcing the builds and whatnot. This isn't a thread for that, but if Turner had a Steel or Alu hardtail, that could be SS or geared (maybe in 26" and 29"), and had geometry that could handle a 100-140mm fork.. And the frame sold in the $450-700 range - I think people would buy.

I guess the problem is that all of the other options in that range would require him to spec the frame from overseas to be competitive with all the Niners, SC's and other bikes in that range.
    ...something like this....
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Damnnnnn

I wish I had some formula brakes just lying round. Love polished frames to.

Elitest thrill junkie
    And here is my new steel hardtail;
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast