Nicole? Papa?

My new bike - finally!

Well, after what feels like an age, I've finally finished my new bike.* It's the first custom build I've done and I couldn't be happier with how it's turned out. I was fairly happy with the Stumpjumper, but was I was keen to get something that had a bit more travel and a slacker head angle to inspire a bit more confidence on the downs. I also just fancied a bit of a change. :wink:

Although it looks new and shiny in the pics, it had it's first outing today on a forum ride at a local trail centre and it's now happily sitting in my garage caked in mud.

First impressions are that it's a tad slower on the ups than my Stumpjumper (a lot of that will have to do with the tyres), but it's so much faster on the downs. The Pikes and RP23 just eat up all the bumps and the slacker head angle and more upright position really inspire confidence. You also can't help noticing the that the frame is just so well made. It really is a work of art!

The particular parts of the build I'm pleased with are the brakes and the wheels. There is just so much power and feel in the levers of The Ones. The wheels are Hope Pro II's on the new Mavic EN521 enduro rims and were hand built for me by Big Gow at Wheelcraft, who built my first set of road wheels when I was 12 and they are still going. The rims are wider than what I had on the Stumpy, but as well as being stronger they are actually lighter and give a good profile on the 2.35 High Rollers which I was running at 35 PSI.

For anyone who's interested, the bikes weighs in at just under 30lbs and the full spec is here (you'll have noticed that, I've sinced changed the tyres to High Rollers and the Grips to Ergons).

I got a bit snap happy with the camera - here are some more pics.

I have to make a special mention to all the folk on here that offered advice during the spec and build - don't think I could've done it on my own!

i can't type the letter s
    Dood, very nice. Looks like all your questions, and in turn the answers, didn't go to waste!

A beauty!

Large member
    Lovely bike, congrats. Enjoy

Silence and Thunder...
    Nice, clean poofta pix! Good thing you got those, 'cause it will never be that clean again (hopefully! )

Good job!
    ...every day sends future to past...

trail fairy
    What the boys all said!

Looking great, dam Spot on build 2. nice choice for fork
    Red looks like the Spots color this year, I don't get the ergons but hey personal choice all good..

Tires make a big difference to speed on the Spot esspecillay clmbing fast

Only a suggestion, I see this allot of late and again its personal preference but not good braking postion, maybe a hang over from earlier shimano days, and will affect a brakes perfromance, yours and the shifter setup etc.!

Run your brake mount outside. e.g on the stem side and your shifter on the inside towards the grip, a good finger or too spaced from grip again personal pref depending on hand size, this will allow you to shift correctly from any postion up or down hill or in the air and remain with one finger on the brake, your fore finger should be close to or within a too finger reach of the end of the culreld part of the lever, if you can get more fingers on there easily then theyre too inboard, looking at ya pics you have no room to adjust currently, this will affect the braking power and mod and control of everything else, just saying, I'm wondering if this is why a few others have been disapointed with the brakes and Sram shifters, setup is key with anything!

Anyways just a suggestion if it helps ya great, ditch it if it dosn't work for ya, like anything it takes time to get used to something new though!

enjoy Gee Tee!

chur..
    Last edited by trailadvent; 06-29-2008 at 03:24 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Congrats on your new Spot!

TLL
    mtbr member
    Very nice indeed. How wide is that rim?

mtbr member
    Nice!

mtbr member
    What color is that?

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    What color is that?
    c'mon fred...everyone knows it's POOFTA.....

aka sangria red....this year....

...actually looks pretty good ... for red.....
    ...every day sends future to past...

Nicole? Papa?
    Thanks for the kind words, guys.

The only thing I'm having an issue with so far is the air pressure in the rear shock. I posted up about it and followed the advice, and I was running about 200 psi in it, but yesterday the o-ring came off the bottom of the shock stroke, so I think I'll need to up it. (Weighed myself fully kitted out and I'm about 210lbs.)

Nicole? Papa?
    TLL - The rims are 21mm wide.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee
    Thanks for the kind words, guys.

The only thing I'm having an issue with so far is the air pressure in the rear shock. I posted up about it and followed the advice, and I was running about 200 psi in it, but yesterday the o-ring came off the bottom of the shock stroke, so I think I'll need to up it. (Weighed myself fully kitted out and I'm about 210lbs.)
    How much sag are you running?

I'm no expert on the RP23 but its shouldn't get any easier with shocks!

Try starting @ 20% sag, its not wrong to go either side of that depending on what type of ride you want, normaly the latter, so 25% for ex 20-25% for the Spot should be bang on

Fox manual is pretty specific for explaining sag or how to acheive it if a need, some good explanations on there website!

foxracingshox.com

If you think the spots good now wait a few months, its gonna kill your Speccy
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    With a 330mm post, you may not be getting the Turner recommended amount of insertion.

Sweet bike!