Thread: My new 5 spot

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

My new 5 spot

Hello

Just received my 5 spot frame. Looks Good, pics will come when it's done.

But I'm wondering if the headset/head tube should look like this? The head tube is sticking out behind the headset. Is this normal? Anyone else have this? I'm getting a little worried here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new 5 spot-2013-01-07-20.08.47.jpg  

My new 5 spot-2013-01-07-20.04.17.jpg  

mtbr member
    Weird...
    Either the headset or headtube. I'm not familiar with nukeproof headsets so can't judge. I've haven't seen this before either. (Limited experience, just 7 self installed hs) You can remove the headset and measure the the Thickness of the headtube all the way around with some calipers. And do the same with the hs, measuring the lip ( not sure the proper term). I'm sure you can find out which is not in spec. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would if I had the tools. I had the headset installed at a bike shop. I might get the tools soon.

I hate this, this sort of thing drives me nuts!

bump and grind
    If there is no binding and the headset/steerer turns freely, I wouldnt worry about it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    more pix of the full ride!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    My new spot does the exact same thing. I measured the exterior of the tube front to back and side to side, and the dimensions are the same.

If you look inside the head tube, you can see quite a bit of machine work went on on there along with post anodizing reaming of the headset seats, don't worry about it.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Nice color! Full bike pictures please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienRFX View Post
    My new spot does the exact same thing. I measured the exterior of the tube front to back and side to side, and the dimensions are the same.

If you look inside the head tube, you can see quite a bit of machine work went on on there along with post anodizing reaming of the headset seats, don't worry about it.
    Are the dimensions the same when the headset is installed? Mine are not, it's about 0.4 mm difference when I cross measure. But residue after machining is a hot tip. I have to check into that, but my tools does not arrive for about a week.

Pictures will come when the bike is finished, there is still some parts missing.

Rides Uphill Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by samu View Post
    Hello

Just received my 5 spot frame. Looks Good, pics will come when it's done.

But I'm wondering if the headset/head tube should look like this? The head tube is sticking out behind the headset. Is this normal? Anyone else have this? I'm getting a little worried here
    My 2011 had the same issue (using a King headset). Got a 2012 and did the same thing. My 2012 was less obvious than the 2011. Still bugs me quite a bit considering how pricey these frames are.
    I'm here for the downhill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hookler View Post
    My 2011 had the same issue (using a King headset). Got a 2012 and did the same thing. My 2012 was less obvious than the 2011. Still bugs me quite a bit considering how pricey these frames are.
    I have a 2011...same issue too. I have the ano Black so it really shows. Funny how I can still have a 100% great time on this bike. Just Ride!

Big Test Icycles
    Not trying to fuel a fire but that would drive me crazy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't understand what the issue is???...that's just manufacturing tolerance since the tube ID is finish-machined after heat treat and anodizing. Are you concerned there's a structural issue, or just bothered by the cosmetics?
    whatever...

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan415 View Post
    Just Ride!
    Bingo!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Are the dimensions the same when the headset is installed? Mine are not, it's about 0.4 mm difference when I cross measure. But residue after machining is a hot tip. I have to check into that, but my tools does not arrive for about a week.

Pictures will come when the bike is finished, there is still some parts missing.
    Yes those measurements were made with the headset in place as installed by turner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

The dimensions of the OD of the head tube are meaningless...in fact if it was perfectly round, I'd worry there wasn't enough weld penetration. The fact that the HT OD is distorted tells you you have good weld penetration.

If you want to measure something, take the headset out and measure the ID. I think you're fine tho. My Turner and my Titus look the same.
    whatever...