mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Good job! My name is Tald and I am a flatoholic.

Just reached the 2 month on Flat pedals mark, and I am finally REALLY starting to enjoy this!!
    The transition is slow - I am nowhere nearly as quick as Bikezilla. I learned the hard way that I should focus on smaller stuff and learn the proper techniques, but am slowly finding myself confident at going larger, dropping and jumping wise. Overall it seems somewhat like going from automatic transmission to manual transmission. Confidence in doing drops is still lagging clipless but improving (hurt my ankle in a bad drop to flat several weeks back...), but confidence in technical, rocky, vertical chutes is much higher than clipless. And strange enough climbing is great for 99% of the climbing I do. But most importantly - this has raised my fun factor significantly.
    Thanks a ton to FM, Airwreck, Trailadvent, JokerMTB and many other homers for all the smart suggestions and pursuation on converting to flats (did a ton of MTBR searches... and as usual most of the good stuff is here in the Turner forum). And also to Lee McCormick's site. YeeHaa!!
    Last edited by tald; 05-09-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    . And strange enough climbing is great for 99% of the climbing I do.
    you can say I told you so. With a little technique, climbing is not an issue.

Flats put the fum back in my xc riding. No more worrying about looking for a place to unclip, no more worrying about trying to get clipped into a pedal on a techy section.
    Flats will set you free!

trail fairy
    Just reached the 2 month on Flat pedals mark, and I am finally REALLY starting to enjoy this!!
    The transition is slow - I am nowhere nearly as quick as Bikezilla. I learned the hard way that I should focus on smaller stuff and learn the proper techniques, but am slowly finding myself confident at going larger, dropping and jumping wise. Overall it seems somewhat like going from automatic transmission to manual transmission. Confidence in doing drops is still lagging clipless but improving (hurt my ankle in a bad drop to flat several weeks back...), but confidence in technical, rocky, vertical chutes is much higher than clipless. And strange enough climbing is great for 99% of the climbing I do. But most importantly - this has raised my fun factor significantly.
    Thanks a ton to FM, Airwreck, Trailadvent, JokerMTB and many other homers for all the smart suggestions and pursuation on converting to flats (did a ton of MTBR searches... and as usual most of the good stuff is here in the Turner forum). And also to Lee McCormick's site. YeeHaa!!
    Welcome back to the real world Columbus was wrong it really is FLAT

Flats rock, my number of flats ourt number my number of CBs
    clipped - Egg, Candies, Mallets,
    Flats - V12s, Aircorps, 50/50, DXs

I actually had too other sets different types which in both cases I lent to gilry to ride and borrow, never saw the girlies again or me pedals, dam favs too, so moral of the story, Bikes n Bro's not Hoes

I up for flats I still go back to eggies on long advenure rides on the Spot, not that I am currently pedalling anything, except my keyboard

Chur
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    With a little technique, climbing is not an issue.
    I like flats a lot but clips are still much better for climbing, IMHO. There are advantages to each. I use both and prefer flats on steep techy DH and clips for long climbs and fast chunky DH.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    I like flats a lot but clips are still much better for climbing, IMHO. There are advantages to each. I use both and prefer flats on steep techy DH and clips for long climbs and fast chunky DH.
    Climbing is a crutch

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Climbing is a crutch
    Not if you use a GoreDuke
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Not if you use a GoreDuke
    I thought they disbanded

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Love the Flat, and especially the Twenty6 6Foe !

They are ready for my RFX, waitin gin the box !!

parts leftover
    I bought a pair of Tioga Surefoot-MX Pros (re-branded Wellgos) for my Six Pack this week. I'm gonna give the flat pedal thing a shot. Now I just need some shoes. The pins have some monster grip on the test ride around the block in my Chacos.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by vinz132
    Love the Flat, and especially the Twenty6 6Foe !

They are ready for my RFX, waitin gin the box !!

Those are sexy.
    Extreme stationary biker.

trail fairy
    Very sexy.....

Too sexy for !! oh neva mind

Sweet...

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

IPA
    Suck My Wake

6 Foes

Dude, the 6Foe pedals look awesome. I've been riding a pair now for half a year and I don't think I will ever go back to clipless. I feel the flow better on platforms, take chances I would wince a bit at on clipless, and enjoy no pain in the knees with flats. I'm hooked. Not to mention, Ti 6Foes are just grams heavier than Time ATAC Titan clipless.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Second time out at Diablo tomorrow on the HL and flats, hoping to start hitting some drops with confidence.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Yessssssss !
    After 4 year of clipped-riding I moved to flats about a year ago. They have set me free. I actually feel more confidence everywhere. The XC felt a little strange at first, but I got used to is also. I use Welgo B77 flats.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Trailadvent, can you compare your flats? Which do you prefer and why?
    I am running a pair of Sunlines - any idea how they compare? Heard good things about the Easton Flatboys and not so good about the CB 5050. The Eastons seem to have a more concave body than the Sunlines, and the Sunlines seem to get their concavity mainly via their nails, whereas the body is not really concave.

trail fairy
    Trailadvent, can you compare your flats? Which do you prefer and why?
    I am running a pair of Sunlines - any idea how they compare? Heard good things about the Easton Flatboys and not so good about the CB 5050. The Eastons seem to have a more concave body than the Sunlines, and the Sunlines seem to get their concavity mainly via their nails, whereas the body is not really concave.
    Hey ya Tal, no probs

I haven't tried the sunlines but rate there stuff and like the looks of there pedals as having the rigth stuff

Eastons - imo can't go wrong, big maybe heavy than some but mine were awesome til a girl I loaned em too decided she like em more than me, last I saw of both lol

50/50 - yeah lots of polarisation with CBs people either like em or hate em, one major thing to note on opinions, its imortant to compare the right model not all CBs are created equal and often people do judge all CBs based on a bad experience with there low end models..

Ex 50/50x Ive had these, I liked the shape and feel of the body for me, Note: I ride in 5:10s this makes a big difference to how ya foot holds the pedals so I like a medium grip pedal as thses shoes are almost like being clipped in!

50/50x bearings die very quickly and are poop, I used to ride lots in wet and now won't have anything other than a fully sealed bearing, something that is serviceable!

50/50XX has a slightly low profile than X model, is fully sealed, a better quality axle, has removal pins short and long, is a far superior pedal than the X if looking at 50/50s spend the extra get the 50/50XX I like it. Q factor is sweet too another thing I liked with the CBs I liemy foot close to the cranks..

DMR V12s probably the best axle bearing Ive come across nice shape, bu the body is a little small for serious DH for me and my foot, I could get away with it on the DJ bike a very solid and strong feeling pedal, always felt secure, and very grippy, fully sealed and fully serviceable, pins are allen key and replaceable, DMR is a top UK company and lots of spares easy to get here! great Q factor..

Atomlab aircorps, my biggest disapointment - nice pedal light, great body and profile, very slim, poor Q factor for me body quite away from crank which also leads to its biggst issue I supsect this puts allot of pressure on the retaining circlip, Ive destroyed a few and the body has come away from the axle! Non sealed easy to service but weak bushes, a good DJ type pedal but not up to the abuse of DHFR or hard AM where ya do lots of wet riding! sexy pedal but I wouldn't buy one again..expensive..

Kona Wah Whah or Jackshits awesome, pedal, the Wah Wah even better, very secure feeling great support, I loved these for a low budget pedal came with the DH bike I rode em once and they stayed put, even a girly liked em best otta all my pedals when it came to her riding the Spot, heavy but sure footed, bullet proof. Wha Wha's are lower profile almost Aircorp low stronger and fully sealed nice concave and replaceable pins!

Shimano DXs I gotta, I got these for a girly, but since she left with my othr pedals long story, I ended up with these, I got thse for her primarliy cause there shape is good nice size great for DH to DJ no weaknesses, the pins were grippy but not meat eaters so wouldgive her confidence getting used to this type of more aggressive pedal easy introduction, light fully sealed and good Q actor jsut a classic and great all round pedal even if its Shimano, I rate it, suprised I was, I would happily put this pedal on any bike price is good too, probably will make this the standard, they come with short and long pins and you can mix them up accross the pedal to get a better spread.

E.g what I did was put the longer pins on the outside of the body for outside grip, shorter pins in themiddle to the crank, perfect, nice profile concave.

Saying all that I think ya got some great pedlas with the Sunlines.

Now I wish someone would pay me for all the product testing I do

I do enjoy it though..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Emmm... what is the right word?... Wait I got it... Coming to me... WOWWWWWW!!!!

mtbr member

Always loved flats

My techy exploits always favored the freedom of bailing off the platforms. I'm currently trying to get comfortable on clipless and find they really help when cranking for XC speed or grinding up a fireroad but I unclip before the iffy stuff. One big plus for control on platforms is a shoe with a sticky sole, like the 5 Ten Impact. When DH riding with platforms I slipped off the pedal a few times on landings (YIKES) but when I tried a bud's spare 5 Ten shoes it was like being clipped in! I ride with much more confidence on the Impacts and spikey flats.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

mtbr member
    I am definately looking at those Twenty6's for my next pedals. Hear they are lighter than the welgo mags, though more expensive. How much dish or concave do they have ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I looked these up. Extremely bling ($$$), extremely light , but small and with zero concavity .

How important is it for a flat pedal to be concave? For example, I see that the Easton Flatboys have a significant concave body, while the Sunlines have very little in their body, but use taller spuds at the edges to form "concavity".

mtbr member
    I wonder how much the concave matters if I plan on 510's ? Especially if the pins can be placed anywhere i want on the twenty6's. Them being small might be an issue, how large are they compared to the Wellgo mags since I own a few pairs of those?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    I wonder how much the concave matters if I plan on 510's ? Especially if the pins can be placed anywhere i want on the twenty6's. Them being small might be an issue, how large are they compared to the Wellgo mags since I own a few pairs of those?
    You can do whatever you want with the pin and you end up with a sticky pedal!

If you are also wearing 5:10 you will feel like it's clip pedasl!

priceless for sure, but lifewarranty on it, ang bling as we like!

you also contribute to help Tyler a CNC artist

here's some shot in the french Alps

Last edited by vinz132; 05-11-2008 at 04:24 PM.