Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

Good job! My First Week with My New Sultan

It's late and I've been ruminating on my impressions of the new bike. The first thing that struck me is how much traction the rear end has under power. Normally, if I need to get out of the saddle and mash, I would have to go down a cog or 2 to keep from spinning the rear tire. With the new bike, no gear changes are necessary. The thing just stays glued and goes forward. Another observation about the pedaling behavior is that there is little to no suspension action due to pedaling forces. I noticed that there is a very slight (< 1/8" of shock stroke) amount of movement in the suspension when pedaling on the road in the big ring.

I've also been relishing is how active the suspension is. Pedaling, coasting, it didn't matter. After years of riding macpherson strut bikes (Amp, Stinger) and 4 bar walking beam Turners and this was something completely different. With the lighter compression damping, the small bump sensitivity is unreal. The downside is that it's more difficult to use small bumps to catch a little air. The plushness gives the feeling that the bike has more travel than the specifications tell you. I finally got the brakes bedded in on this morning's ride, so I can't really say much about the performance under braking. So far, I haven't noticed any stiffness issues. The combination of the Reba with the Maxle Lite, the I9s, and the frame definitely feel solid. There was no loss of steering precision when going throughs some rutted up sections of the trail. Definitely confidence inspiring, though I still need to hit some chunk on it to push its (and my) limits a little more.

Overall, I am really digging the new ride. I miss the lighter weight of the TNT bike on the climbs, but my legs are adjusting. The pedaling performance is definitely at least as good as TNT with ProPedal on, without the drawbacks. In general, the handling is about the same as every other Turner I've had. Nice and neutral and balanced. The bigger difference is that the new bike is a large and has a longer wheelbase, so I'm still adjusting to how I have to approach tight turns. Mostly this involves beginning to turn in sooner than with my old, medium TNT Sultan. On the descents, it blows doors on the old bike and left me thinking that it descends even better than my old 5.3 Spot.

Oh yeah, and a couple of obligatory pictures for those that missed them before:

bike weenie
    Nice...

Curious on one thing - do the red stickers come off the reba?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RWGreen
    Nice...

Curious on one thing - do the red stickers come off the reba?
    Of course!

all about the all about
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    The bigger difference is that the new bike is a large and has a longer wheelbase, so I'm still adjusting to how I have to approach tight turns. Mostly this involves beginning to turn in sooner than with my old, medium TNT Sultan.
    Just wondered what height/inseam you have, you seem to have plenty of seatpost showing on that large...was the Med. TNT Sultan tiny for you?

Beautiful Sultan by the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    It's late and I've been ruminating on my impressions of the new bike. The first thing that struck me is how much traction the rear end has under power. Normally, if I need to get out of the saddle and mash, I would have to go down a cog or 2 to keep from spinning the rear tire. With the new bike, no gear changes are necessary. The thing just stays glued and goes forward. Another observation about the pedaling behavior is that there is little to no suspension action due to pedaling forces. I noticed that there is a very slight (< 1/8" of shock stroke) amount of movement in the suspension when pedaling on the road in the big ring.

I've also been relishing is how active the suspension is. Pedaling, coasting, it didn't matter. After years of riding macpherson strut bikes (Amp, Stinger) and 4 bar walking beam Turners and this was something completely different. With the lighter compression damping, the small bump sensitivity is unreal. The downside is that it's more difficult to use small bumps to catch a little air. The plushness gives the feeling that the bike has more travel than the specifications tell you. I finally got the brakes bedded in on this morning's ride, so I can't really say much about the performance under braking. So far, I haven't noticed any stiffness issues. The combination of the Reba with the Maxle Lite, the I9s, and the frame definitely feel solid. There was no loss of steering precision when going throughs some rutted up sections of the trail. Definitely confidence inspiring, though I still need to hit some chunk on it to push its (and my) limits a little more.

Overall, I am really digging the new ride. I miss the lighter weight of the TNT bike on the climbs, but my legs are adjusting. The pedaling performance is definitely at least as good as TNT with ProPedal on, without the drawbacks. In general, the handling is about the same as every other Turner I've had. Nice and neutral and balanced. The bigger difference is that the new bike is a large and has a longer wheelbase, so I'm still adjusting to how I have to approach tight turns. Mostly this involves beginning to turn in sooner than with my old, medium TNT Sultan. On the descents, it blows doors on the old bike and left me thinking that it descends even better than my old 5.3 Spot.

Oh yeah, and a couple of obligatory pictures for those that missed them before:

I like that blue color-coordinated rock you found to hold up your bike.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Moosehead
    Nice ride report 2TNE, first time someone noticed the extra weight of the DWL. Both of them Sultans look hawt. Crap, can't believe I just said that, must resist.

mtbr member
    good post! I'm diggin the color scheme. Is your fork already leaking or is that part of the break-in.
    Too wet to ride!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

A Few Responses...

Quote Originally Posted by Om Flyer
    Just wondered what height/inseam you have, you seem to have plenty of seatpost showing on that large...was the Med. TNT Sultan tiny for you?
    I'm about 5'10" with a 32" inseam. And on my medium bikes, I had to run 400mm posts to nearly full extension and 100mm+ stem lengths to be comfortable for XC riding.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I like that blue color-coordinated rock you found to hold up your bike.
    I was looking for a photo op and when I saw the matching blue rock, it was like it was meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosehead
    Nice ride report 2TNE, first time someone noticed the extra weight of the DWL. Both of them Sultans look hawt. Crap, can't believe I just said that, must resist.
    I'm basically a wannabe XC/endurance weenie, so I notice when I'm going uphill with more effort and less speed. The TNT Sultan had morphed into my race bike last year and convinced me that the big wheels were more comfortable for the endurance/long distance stuff that I prefer. I have some other plans cooking right now for a new race bike. And yes, resistance is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by prooperator
    good post! I'm diggin the color scheme. Is your fork already leaking or is that part of the break-in.
    Thanks. I'm hoping it's just break-in. Those pictures were on the first ride. I'm still seeing a little bit on the stanchions after a couple of more rides.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Very cool..........yeah , sort of a preview of mine since I got a white PC DW Sultan frame and white Reba 120 mm TA fork coming as well !

Dammm.......I'm getting excited !!!!!!!!! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Of course!

wow...never seen that picture before