Thread: My baby

SASQUATCH!

My baby

Well, it happened. My beloved XL 5spot cracked. Right at the bottom weld of the rocker pivot. It went on me mid way through a ride as I stood up to crank a short hill. I suspect the crack was there for a while before it went completely, but with the muddier conditions here lately, I obviously missed it developing. Looong walk home.

I had seen posts by aquaholic some time ago re: his 5spots and I know that while this break isn't exactly common, it seems that when XL 5spots do break, this is where it happens. So I'm gonna call Turner on Monday and see what my options are. Thanks to their CS reputation, I'm not the least bit anxious that I'll get a fair shake, one way or the other.

But this has got me thinking: should I consider "upgrading" to an RFX front tri? I weigh about 220lbs and, while I don't ride anything more than 2" drops (if you could even call them "drops" ), I don't shy away from hitting nasty terrain at speed---I'm not happy unless I'm going fast. At my weight, I figure this has got to add up.

In short: I'm wondering if I'm simply asking too much of the frame given my weight and riding style.

I did notice that 2006 spots have a dual taco (mine is a 2005 w/ 1 taco). Did the XL spots after 2005 get beefed up a bit in a way that would help prevent this kind of failure?
    And weight aside ('cause I don't care about 2-3 pounds), what kind of "feel" might I expect from a spack setup? Bottom bracket height & cornering comparable to a pure spot?

I'm eager to hear what Turner has to say on the matter, but I'd really appreciate some feedback from you guys as well.

e-i-o: You ride bigger stuff than I do, but I know you went from 5spot to 5pack. whaddya think after a season on it?

cheers

banned
    I believe the current size large and above rocker frames use an additional welded on gusset underneath the rocker pivot block.

As far as strength goes, the RFX is tough to beat on all ends, especially the new one. You can run travel reduction on the front if you want. I'm not 100% sure if the 5 Spot rockers will work on the V3 front tri.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I don't think they have any RFX front tri's, I know El C got a demo '07 RFX for this reason, no more 5packs with the old design I guess.

Team Sanchez
    Yeah, DT could not locate an 06 XL front triangle, and that is how I ended up with the 07. I am not complaining by any means. The 07 rocks. For the type of riding your do, I think that the 5-spot should hold up just fine. But if you think that you want to start stepping it up a notch, that you really should try to get your hands on an RFX. Good luck.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"