Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    not so super...

My affair with Big Betty

I cheated on my BG and Nevegal this weekend and took a new girl to the mountains with me, Big Betty. Betty is a great woman to take on a technical ride with every type of terrain possible. We encountered mud bogs, sand, rocks, roots, solid granite, hardpack (both dry and wet), river crossings and gravel FS roads. Betty sweet talked them all and help make my ride great.

I had been in in lust with the Blue Groove and Nevegal after switching from a Mobster / High Roller combo. They were just a step above the Maxxis treads. They rolled better, grabbed corners better and just stuck to the trail. I feel the same way out the BB, especially the way she rolls. Cornering was excellent and not a single pinch flat on either of the RFX/Packs. I got 2 Gooey Gluey so time will tell on the durability.

Special thanks to El Beastro who got them out to me last minute since Larry was out riding It's a Small World.
    Nothing to see here.

Team Sanchez
    I ran a Big Betty on the rear in Moab. I ran the ORC compound, and I loved the way the tire handled, and pinch flat resistance was superb. My only complaint was how quickly it is wearing. The Ooey Gluey must really have a short life span. I'm going to run it up front, and see how it corners compared to the Nevy that I usually run. Crash the Dog is running them front and rear, and seems to really like them for So. Utah riding.
    Last edited by El Chingon; 05-24-2006 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    I've really enjoyed the BB's, but after running them exclusively on the front and rear of the Pack for the past two months I figured it's time to swap back to the NV's to see how the two compare. Tentatively I'd say that the BB's have the advantage in cornering, sidewall/pinch-flat protection, and loose conditions with the more aggressive tread pattern. Riding in the desert I can't comment on mud or wet terrain handling. On the flipside they're at least 25% more expensive while also wearing out more quickly.

Chingon you're avatar is really creeping me out.

Bodhisattva
    Yah. Great tires. But I'll be switching to the OCR to decrease drag & increase wear.

Thus far I much prefer them to the Nevs & Blue Grooves in just about all aspects.
    Life....the original terminal illness

I've got a Stiffee
    I purchased a BB for the front of my Pack and planned to run it on my DT 5.1 rims with the DT tubeless kit. I couldn't for the life of me get the thing to come up on the bead and seal. I used a compressor, took the inner valve core out, lots of soapy water...etc. I have resorted to mounting it with a tube to try and stretch out the bead a bit. It just seems the bead wouldn't pop into the groove when trying to do it tubeless....anyone else have success using a BB w/Stan's or tubeless?

Bodhisattva
    Attempts by several of us on 5.1 rims have been unsuccessful.
    A friend got them to seat on Mavic 819 UST rims after a Herculean effort.
    UST Big Bettys coming in the fall.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

Do you have any more info on the UST version? Release date? Will they be offered in both compounds? Will they still be 2.4? Sounds like the perfect tire that I have been dreaming of
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Yah. Great tires. But I'll be switching to the OCR to decrease drag & increase wear.

Thus far I much prefer them to the Nevs & Blue Grooves in just about all aspects.
    Any idea on the weights compared to the 2.35 BG/Nev?

I'm about due a new Nevegal in the rear, so I may try something else. Just don't want anything much heavier than the Nevs.

not so super...

Don't be too concerned about the weight

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Any idea on the weights compared to the 2.35 BG/Nev?

I'm about due a new Nevegal in the rear, so I may try something else. Just don't want anything much heavier than the Nevs.

They are heavier than the 2.35 BG but not much more than a 2.5 BG. Mine were 860g.

Here is the kicker: while riding, my bike feels 2 pounds lighter. The BB accelerate and roll much better than the BG/Nev even with the sticky rubber.
    Nothing to see here.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    They are heavier than the 2.35 BG but not much more than a 2.5 BG. Mine were 860g.

Here is the kicker: while riding, my bike feels 2 pounds lighter. The BB accelerate and roll much better than the BG/Nev even with the sticky rubber.
    Agree 100%
    BB are over 100gm heavier than the 2.35 Kendas but are as big as the 2.5 Kendas and roll better than the Nevs.

Bodhisattva
    I've been told that it will be a 2.4 like the conventional bead BB and will be released around the time of I-Bike

Knollician
    I've been told that it will be a 2.4 like the conventional bead BB and will be released around the time of I-Bike

That's what I needed to know, thanks!!
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey ssinga, have you ever tried the Racing Ralph in the rear? I've also been in love with the Nevagal (2.5 front - 2.35 rear) for the last two years but find their rolling resistance a real pain. So I was thinking of either trying the Diesel/Gravity combo or the BigBetty/RacingRalph combo or even keeping the Nevagal up front and trying the Gravity or RacingRalph in the rear. I've found the rear impacts rolling resistance most. You seem to find the BB better than Nevagal for rolling ressistance?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    Hey ssinga, have you ever tried the Racing Ralph in the rear? I've also been in love with the Nevagal (2.5 front - 2.35 rear) for the last two years but find their rolling resistance a real pain. So I was thinking of either trying the Diesel/Gravity combo or the BigBetty/RacingRalph combo or even keeping the Nevagal up front and trying the Gravity or RacingRalph in the rear. I've found the rear impacts rolling resistance most. You seem to find the BB better than Nevagal for rolling ressistance?
    I am not SS but I have used both the Racing Ralph 2.25s and the Nevegal 2.35s as rear tires. The 2.25 RR is not even in the same league in terms of traction. The knobs on the RR are pretty shallow. Mine weighed 512 grams and roll very fast. I wouldn't consider them an "everyday" tire unless you ride smooth dirt all of the time.

You might consider the 2.25 Nobby Nic as a compromise between the Big Betty & Racing Ralph. I have them on my Flux right now and the traction is really good for tire of this size and weight. I can't speak to durability yet because I only have about ten hours of riding on them but I really like the way they ride.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Hell from above

how are they on hardpack

how are the B.B.on hardpack? and would they fit on a pike?thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Driggs
    You might consider the 2.25 Nobby Nic as a compromise between the Big Betty & Racing Ralph. I have them on my Flux right now and the traction is really good for tire of this size and weight. I can't speak to durability yet because I only have about ten hours of riding on them but I really like the way they ride.
    Hey Dave, that's an interesting suggestion. I didn't know this NobbyNic, it's a new one. In size 2.4 it's only 635g. That would probably be a very good replacement for my rear Nevagal 2.35 which weighs even more at around 750g. I think I'll try it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

can be done

You have to build the cavity up, more tape, some Velox etc. Works very well.

BB can explode with the use of sealant with glycol. According to Schwalbe. And it is a very loud explosion.

Nevertheless, I've only had one fail. I've gotten two orc in the rear to one gg in the front
    in terms of wear. It's a good thing they are quite grippy as slicks because it doesn't take
    long to get them there, probably because the nobs are very short to begin with.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Driggs
    I am not SS but I have used both the Racing Ralph 2.25s and the Nevegal 2.35s as rear tires. The 2.25 RR is not even in the same league in terms of traction. The knobs on the RR are pretty shallow. Mine weighed 512 grams and roll very fast. I wouldn't consider them an "everyday" tire unless you ride smooth dirt all of the time.
    I thought the same thing. The Racing Ralph is a high volume tire, but its more like a high volume XC racing tire. The tread is very shallow, and while it hooks up suprisingly well, it isn't a tire I'd consider running on an "all mountain" type bike except special circumstances.

The work great on smooth hardpack type terrain, but wouldn't consider running them in rocky areas at all.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    These are the 1st Schwalbe tires I have tried. I found them to roll quite well on hardpack, much better than the Nevegal or blue Groove.
    Nothing to see here.

mr. wonderful
    I have really come to like the bettys, even though I HATE TUBES. I like the sticky kendas too: 2.5 bg on front, 2.35 nev on rear (mounted tubeless with homebrew on 819s).

I couldn't get the bettys to seat for the life of me. I used all my secret tricks, and even invented a new one. no luck. then, after about 75 miles, or so, I had slow leaks in both tires. have I mentioned "I HATE TUBES?" I pulled the offending tubes, soaped up the bead and, low and behold, got them to seat tubeless! FWIW, I wiped the unmounted bead almost dry after soaping and that seemed to do the trick.

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    I have really come to like the bettys, even though I HATE TUBES. I like the sticky kendas too: 2.5 bg on front, 2.35 nev on rear (mounted tubeless with homebrew on 819s).

I couldn't get the bettys to seat for the life of me. I used all my secret tricks, and even invented a new one. no luck. then, after about 75 miles, or so, I had slow leaks in both tires. have I mentioned "I HATE TUBES?" I pulled the offending tubes, soaped up the bead and, low and behold, got them to seat tubeless! FWIW, I wiped the unmounted bead almost dry after soaping and that seemed to do the trick.

What rims are you running? I hate tubes also, and am hoping that running the BB with a tube for awhile will give it enough "stretch" to get it mounted tubeless.

BTW: what was your new "trick"? Seems like you need every little trick imagineable to get them to seal up

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    . On the flipside they're at least 25% more expensive while also wearing out more quickly.
    Sweet!! Works for me Let me know when you need more

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hav'nt seen the 2.4 Big Betty in the flesh, would like to know how it compares in actual size to the 2.5 NEV. ? Currently use the 2.5 NEV up front with Stan's. Cheers

mtbr member
    Of the tires I have tried for more then just a parking lot test, Big Betty are the best all arounder (the others are misc. 2", Conti Gravity and WTB TimberWolf (too much drag)!

I have had the ORC's on my 5-Spot for the last year or so and wear is not a problem where I live. Unless you ride them hard through rock-gardens...

Although I really like these tires I will try something else next time, I'm rather curios about Hutchinsons products.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by FXRob
    What rims are you running? I hate tubes also, and am hoping that running the BB with a tube for awhile will give it enough "stretch" to get it mounted tubeless.

BTW: what was your new "trick"? Seems like you need every little trick imagineable to get them to seal up
    rims=mavic 819s

my old standby trick, necessary for mounting kendas, is to seat beads with a tube, breaking only one bead, pulling the tube, gooping up, soapng the bead, and giving it a blast of compressed air to seat the second bead.

my new trick is all of the above with the addition on stretching a tube over the outside of the tire to force the bead of the tire down onto the shoulder of the rim to minimize air leakage between the tire an the rim. it seemed like a good idea and it was soooooo close to catching.

it wasn't until the tire had been mounted with tubes for several weeks that it would finally seat tubeless. it wasn't too much trouble, just the old trick.

i'm still playing with psi; currently 26 front, 30 rear. will try 24/28.

good luck!
    Last edited by dirtbag; 05-25-2006 at 09:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast