Thread: My 2009 RFX*

mtbr member

... and if we just ... My 2009 RFX*

* I did say "my", not "the"... At least until DT extracts his finger from his BB and produces the real one. (and the claws some back on the $...!)

So a while ago I asked about orange Turners.

Well here it is...

Front triangle stickered and helitaped

The tape is virtually invisible from 6" away.

A reminder of *quite* how chunky the '02 RFX headtube is

The official homer couch shot.

It's lost a bit of weight in the re-spec 34.8lb according to the bathroom scales. Not too bad for a virtually bombproof, fully coil sprung 6&6er.

First ride was pretty good. I've been on my hardtail & SS for the last couple of months, so it took a while to get the feel back again, and I've definitely lost pure strength for hauling the brute about (not helped by going to a trail centre that wasn't really steep enough for a big bike). It did chuck up a couple of teething problems. 1) My headbadge fell off as I dragged the bike out of the car. Must use better silicone! 2) Despite its looks, the I-beam clamp/post arrangement gives zero layback. I'm currently 30mm shorter on reach than my old RF XY/Flite setup, and it made it crippling to ride on the flat. Fortunately Kore seem to do a I-beam post with 25mm of offset in it. 3)The brakes are REDICULOUS. I rode for about 5hrs and never had to do more than breath on the front one. The back alone was like riding into a wall. I might drop a rotor size on the front for trail riding...

Thanks to: My old man for paying for the respray (xmas present), Argos for doing a beautiful job, Greg@Turner for sorting out some replacement rockers (my old ones had stress risers on), and the stickers, and obviously DT for making a bike that still more than holds it own 6+ years on.+

The old spec for reference

mtbr member
    sweet ride jon, turned out great big fan of the look of the older rfx. color looks great, your rockers have turned the same color as my old ones did. almost a dark brow ,goes well with the orange. liking those slx cranks, and with the gamut guide. looks like a great set up. enjoy.

mtbr member
    Great way to breath new life into an awesome frame!!

trail fairy
    psick

badd

ass

Dam gorgeous I love it, what a project, new is nic but that's just friggin amazing!

Second what K says great setup too ya done good bro
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Awesome !

I bet that you can really throw the hammer down on that Badboy

mtbr member
    Very nice, great set-up there. I am partial to older RFX's too, like Remy's. One sweet machine with that one!

You got to love the bomb-proof RFX's, I've got my 06' large down to 35.5lbs with similar build, all coil with beefy tires and very much looking forward to finally riding this weekend while being off bike over a month due to heavy snow/rain in past month. I've got my RFX to 1 degree slacker and a hair lower (1/4") with addition of shorter seat stays, and added 5.5 rockers to see how it all performs on the local trails and gnar.

Good stuff here,

JG
    Ride On!