Bon Vie

... and if we just ... Musings on first rides (from yeehaaa to oops)

Finally got to put the 5 Spot through its paces last week in Flagstaff, AZ (raining here in the Midwest when bike was complete). Climbing is unbelievable, descending is even better if that's possible. Cornering......intuitive. There probably aren't enough adjectives to describe the way I feel about this ride. After owning 2 single pivot bikes, having a first experience with a 4-bar Horst link setup is truly incredible. I for one can never go back. Even at 7000 feet for the first rides (sucking air) the Spot was like magic. It actually feels as you're being assisted/pulled up the climbs. And cornering, I've seen the motorcycle analogy used a few times and I agree, you truly power out of the corners. I got out today for my first ride since returning home and was all smiles as I easily cleared a section that I had always had at least one dab. Climbed a section of trail "seated" that I had to do standing before......yesssss. And then, oops......what's that ratcheting sound. Oh it's just a small stick caught in the rear der. Pulled the stick out and tried pedalling and nothing The derailleur cable was hung up on the cogs and frayed (pic attached). Able to pedal out though using one gear with the middle ring and granny. Calbes now repaired and look forward to the next adventure. BTW, I too will have to work hard to bring my game to the level of my 5'er. C ya down the trail..........
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sounds like you are loving the new bike - shame about the cable problems.

A friend of mine who tried out my 5 Spot said almost exactly the same as you - that the 5 Spot actually seems to propel the rider up the hill. My Spot is so much better than my old RM blizzard for both the descent AND the climbs

Cheers, Duncan