Thread: mud mud mud!

mtbr member

mud mud mud!

Hi folks,
    I rode a killer trail network in Pueblo, CO this weekend. I checked the weather and everything seemed to point toward dry trails. I hit the trail around 6:30 AM and all was dry, or so I thought. Turns out it was just frozen. I completely covered my DW spot in mud to the point where the wheels wouldn't turn, and you couldn't tell what color the bike was. It was that kind of mud you can barely walk in. A number of folks were stuck in this particular section, so it wasn't just my dumb a$$ that was fooled.

My question is about the pivots. I realize that I could have screwed up my drivetrain, which is ready to go anyway, but I'm looking for advice about the more costly prospect of permanently damaging the frame. Is it a good idea to take the bike apart and clean the pivots in case any fine clay got in there, or should I just blow some grease in there and be done with it?

I'm not incredibly familiar with the pivot design and how it would prevent mud from getting in, and I'm hoping to get some advice from someone with more experience.

Thanks in advance!

-Jon

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Living in the Netherlands with its wet climate, we have quite often wet and/or muddy rides in winter. Putting some grease in regularly has n't caused me any trouble with the pivots yet (in nearly 3 years). I think an extra portion of grease would also suffice in your case. Only if you see a lot of mud/water being pushed out, you might consider cleaning the pivots.
    I think the seals hold up rather well, especially if the pivot had enough grease before the mud came.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't worry about mud. My current DW and previous HL Spot spend most of the winter months covered in mud, and I have never had to replace any of the bushings. All I do is wash the bike afterwards and everything stays working smoothly

DW Mud 2.jpg

DW Mud 3.jpg

DW Mud 4.jpg