Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,011

    Mr Turner? Ship Demo Bikes?

    Dave,

    I really want a new Flux - but I'm hung up on a couple things and really want to test ride one, first.

    Can you set up a program where we can have a bike shipped to us - for a week, maybe?

    If not us, then a local shop?

    I might be amenable to paying shipping + having that dollar amount credited towards the purchase or something.

    Have you thought about doing something like this?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  2. #2
    Nothing can stop me now
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    905
    Competitive cyclist a few years ago did. No longer...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,242
    we talked about it at length, and I remember talking to CC about why they stopped doing it. Talking about a long distance demo program actually led us to the buy it and if you don't like it swap it program. So, we came up with the satisfaction guarantee as seen on the new web site. Not the same as a demo, 'cause if you don't like it or the size or color or model or kit you do a swap, not a full refund. But it's what we came up with to make buying long distance less scary.

    But as a current Flux owner what couple things are you hung up on?

  4. #4
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,011
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    we talked about it at length, and I remember talking to CC about why they stopped doing it. Talking about a long distance demo program actually led us to the buy it and if you don't like it swap it program. So, we came up with the satisfaction guarantee as seen on the new web site. Not the same as a demo, 'cause if you don't like it or the size or color or model or kit you do a swap, not a full refund. But it's what we came up with to make buying long distance less scary.

    But as a current Flux owner what couple things are you hung up on?
    Honestly, I'm hung up on the fork. If I had my druthers, I'd simply buy a fork that was a adjustable 120-140. But far as I can tell nobody makes one. So I'm sort of stuck thinking about what I would like best.

    I thinking riding one a few times would give me an idea if I really need/want that extra travel.

    I know I'm an XL.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,242
    Do you have a Talas or UTurn on your current Flux? We don't spec Talas, 'cause we don't like the air spring feel and to a man we don't think dw bikes need it. with a 120 or even 130 on the front it climbs level enough, ie. without bobbing, that lowering the front would be not needed. We have not used a 140 on the front, being bike whore types we have Burners for the longer travel segment. The Reason for the Flux being a 120 bike is that 120 is the top of the 'light' chassis family of forks, above that and forks get heavier ,and heavier was not the intention, that is the realm of the Burner.

    'Need' more travel? of course not. Want? a few rides and you will probably want it. With one of the latest versions of dw's mathematical mastery it pedals as well or better than the shorter Flux with substantially more travel.

    Infomercial over...

    DT

  6. #6
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,011
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Do you have a Talas or UTurn on your current Flux? We don't spec Talas, 'cause we don't like the air spring feel and to a man we don't think dw bikes need it. with a 120 or even 130 on the front it climbs level enough, ie. without bobbing, that lowering the front would be not needed. We have not used a 140 on the front, being bike whore types we have Burners for the longer travel segment. The Reason for the Flux being a 120 bike is that 120 is the top of the 'light' chassis family of forks, above that and forks get heavier ,and heavier was not the intention, that is the realm of the Burner.

    'Need' more travel? of course not. Want? a few rides and you will probably want it. With one of the latest versions of dw's mathematical mastery it pedals as well or better than the shorter Flux with substantially more travel.

    Infomercial over...

    DT
    Not looking for the adjustability for climbing per se. More along the lines of dialing it in for different uses.

    But to some degree, I suppose being able to drop the front end for long climbs would be good. The head tube on the XL is long!

    -edit-

    I'm currently running a 120mil Float 32 on my Flux. But to keep the front low for climbing - I run a negative rise stem, with flat bars.

    And I run a gravity dropper.

    So on climbs, I'm over the front, but on decents, over the back. It works really well.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    129
    Stop donking around iheart! The new Flux is 3 times the bike the old Flux is, I have owned both, including a fully coiled 26" Flux. The 27.5 Flux does everything better. It pedals better, it rolls better, it downhills better. It's more like a fast light 5 Spot. With the longer chain stay and top tube you will stay planted on the ups. If you are fine with 120mm of travel in front, let it be. A 26" 140mm fork is roughly the same length as a 120mm 27.5 fork, which is what I have on mine and it works very well, other than minimal tire clearance. If you love the Turner feel of your current Flux, the new one is just more of it!

  8. #8
    Nothing can stop me now
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    905
    Go to the website and read the satisfaction guarantee. Should take the edge off of the angst. You have 7 days to get comfortable with size and model in which time you can decide to exchange models or sizes. For a 6% restocking fee you can return within that same timeframe. Shipping on you though. Awesome program for Turner customers!

    Thanks Dave!

  9. #9
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,011
    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Stop donking around iheart! The new Flux is 3 times the bike the old Flux is, I have owned both, including a fully coiled 26" Flux. The 27.5 Flux does everything better. It pedals better, it rolls better, it downhills better. It's more like a fast light 5 Spot. With the longer chain stay and top tube you will stay planted on the ups. If you are fine with 120mm of travel in front, let it be. A 26" 140mm fork is roughly the same length as a 120mm 27.5 fork, which is what I have on mine and it works very well, other than minimal tire clearance. If you love the Turner feel of your current Flux, the new one is just more of it!
    That's interesting. Can you post pics of yours with the 140 fork?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    129
    I could, not today but soon. Do you want to see the front and tire clearance or the whole bike? It will make you buy one, right?

  11. #11
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,011
    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    I could, not today but soon. Do you want to see the front and tire clearance or the whole bike? It will make you buy one, right?
    yah, pics of everything. I want to see tire clearance - but also angles/geometry.

    Thanks!

    Of course I am going to buy a Flux. I just dont want to buy the wrong fork.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    377
    I'm with you iheart, frames and components are crazy expensive but having had Turner frames for the last decade plus, they would be the only brand I would have the confidence to purchase without a demo. Fortunately, we are close enough for a road trip.

    The old dw Flux was the best frame I have had and I like the 27.5 wheel on other demo bikes- the new Flux should be incredible but I haven't ruled out the Czar yet. If their not going to be around for a demo soon, we will travel to them.

  13. #13
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,011
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    I'm with you iheart, frames and components are crazy expensive but having had Turner frames for the last decade plus, they would be the only brand I would have the confidence to purchase without a demo. Fortunately, we are close enough for a road trip.

    The old dw Flux was the best frame I have had and I like the 27.5 wheel on other demo bikes- the new Flux should be incredible but I haven't ruled out the Czar yet. If their not going to be around for a demo soon, we will travel to them.
    I think I figured out the fork.

    there are OEM versions of the 27.5 TALAS available with 120-140m travel. This should be perfect for the new Flux.

    Also, Fox will modify the standard 27.5 to fit this travel range.

    Or, you can buy the spacers and DIY.

    I will be sure to post all the details in my build thread.

    STOKED!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

Similar Threads

  1. Where do GT Bikes ship from?
    By peteer01 in forum GT
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-29-2013, 07:00 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 01:24 PM
  3. DEMO BIKES @ North of the Border- CARBON 29rs', Turner Burner, F/S 29rs....
    By North of the Border in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 07:53 AM
  4. Turner Bikes (2011/2012/Demo)
    By alanchan in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 08:10 AM
  5. Turner Demo Feb 12
    By etrogden in forum Turner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •