mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Moving from Trance X0

Hey all.

I'm moving from a Giant Trance X0 (med.) to a 5 Spot (med).

I'm about 5' 10" so kinda in between, but I tested a medium Spot with a Marzocchi 55 fork, and felt good, but didn't get a chance to ride anything too technical.
    I've spec'd my new Spot with a Marzocchi 44 fork going off recommendations from other friends.

Having said that, I figured I might as well as you lot for some input as well.

I tend to do more trail riding than anything else, and just starting to learn to ride more tech trails (not quite at DH level just yet). Given that I'm coming off a couple of years of riding a Trance X0, has anyone got any experience with a similar move?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I thought about getting a Trance X the past few years but never did. I'm real interested in hearing your impressions comparing your new Spot and your Trance XO after a few months.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

My cup runneth over
    Lots of good info in these threads:
    AM Spot
    5 Spot set up thread
    I think there was at least one Marz 44 but not many. I am running a Vanilla 32 but if I had to do it again would chose a coil Lyrik.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Lots of good info in these threads:
    AM Spot
    5 Spot set up thread
    I think there was at least one Marz 44 but not many. I am running a Vanilla 32 but if I had to do it again would chose a coil Lyrik.
    Thanks for the links. I've actually read both of those threads a couple of times, but was hoping for a more direct comparison from someone else's experience.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    I really like the long travel offerings from Marzocchi like the 66 and 888, but when it comes to 150 or less I prefer Fox or Rock Shox. I have hopes that Marz has greatly improved their 2010 mid travel forks, but don't have enough personal experience with them to make a recommendation. Which 44 are you considering?
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

My cup runneth over
    Fairly similar move for me. I went from a Burner (3.6 inch travel) to the DW Spot. I mostly trail ride with no lift-server DH. Occasional off-road triathlons. The build on my Burner was only slightly lighter than my Spot. My favorite riding is fast rocky XC descents, the type that I can hold off on touching the brakes for as long as possible and charge through the (smaller) rocks at fairly high speeds. I think this is probably what caused the demise of the Burner (after 5 years of abuse and two frame breakages). The Spot is perfect for this type of riding and can probably handle a lot more. The rear is amazingly plush, the frame tracking is great, the only weakness being the Fox 32 Vanilla (15mm). Although it is a coil is doesnít match the plushness of the (air) rear. I canít imagine this type of riding with an air fork but maybe it is just me. Seated climbing is significantly better on the DW Spot but standing climbing bobs a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

44 RC3 Ti 15mm QR

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    I really like the long travel offerings from Marzocchi like the 66 and 888, but when it comes to 150 or less I prefer Fox or Rock Shox. I have hopes that Marz has greatly improved their 2010 mid travel forks, but don't have enough personal experience with them to make a recommendation. Which 44 are you considering?
    Hi Scott.
    I've heard similar things about the older Marz forks, but after trying the 55 I was quite impressed with the plushness... hoping that doesn't translate to bottom-out!
    I'm going with the 44 RC3 Ti QR15 to be able to ride up as well as down. I thought that 160mm travel for the riding I do would probably be a bit of overkill and not quite as easy to push uphill.
    Cheers
    psych1975