mtbr member

moving on from a Flux to a Nitrous

Help needed:

A buddy of mine is the proud owner of a Flux that he really enjoys. The thing is uberlight and blinged out. He contemplates selling it to buy a Nitrous.

What do you think about it?

Do you think it won't be too exclusive?

What about versatility? He rides XC, he's rather smooth and light enough to qualify for the frame. As you can see the specs of the flux are already on the Weighweenie side of the force.

any $0.2 welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    yessss it is

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since nobody else is weighing in on this...

No way!!!

The Nitrous is not designed or built to be an "every day" bike. The Flux is more stable, more durable, more comfortable and more jumpable. I have a Nitrous and it's a great bike, but I only use it for racing. I have a different bike for "general purpose" use.

Lay off the Levers
    Being a weight weenie has one thing in common with being a freerider. Enough is never enough.

The Freerider has the advantage because a freerider who's always buying bigger gear may not always use it to the limit of it's strength. This presents no problem other than the additional cost and effort.

A weight weenie who's always buying lighter gear will constantly be testing the bike's strength limits b/c by definition the parts are made as light as possible by at the cost of strength.

The Nitrous is designed as a race day bike, not an everyday bike. I'd suggest he tweak the Flux as much as possible, ride with confidence and save his pennies for a Nitrous as a Race-only frame. If such a luxury is within his means.

But what do I know? I'm neither a WW or a FR... yet.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Bite Me.
    Hellooo....Keep the Flux AND buy the Nitrous How will he ever expect to reach snob and poseur status with just one Turner?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Stradissimo your opinion really echoes my doubts regarding the swap.

Anyone else? I know few peeps around here ride the bullet but even if it's not first-hand remarks, I'll take them all the same.

over researcher
    I'm both a light enough on the scale, and light enough as a rider, that I could ride the Nitrous. However, I'd always have my doubts on whether or not I would break it, and I feel I would be limited to the terrain I could subject the Nitrous to. I ride the Flux and have no doubts the frame will handle any of the terrain I subject it to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stradissimo
    Since nobody else is weighing in on this...

No way!!!

The Nitrous is not designed or built to be an "every day" bike. The Flux is more stable, more durable, more comfortable and more jumpable. I have a Nitrous and it's a great bike, but I only use it for racing. I have a different bike for "general purpose" use.

Aw, Stradissimo don't know what he's talking about, he's just a poser... ...damn fast, pro-elite racer...get a job!...

Good point, the handling of Nitrous is different than the Flux, less forgiving and more aggressive. The Nitrous isn't designed for normal riding, I have learned to trust Turner when he recomends a bike for a specific type of riding, and the Nitrous is designed for racing, not just because it's light...

After all, you're only going to loose about a pound at most, and you'll loose the forgiving handling, super-durability, and 1" of travel in the front and .5" in the rear (yeah, I know the Nitrous is rated at 3.8" but I'd be willing to bet the Flux rides like it has noticably more travel than the Nitrous)

mtbr member
    my friend just wanted to thank you guys for your expertise. For the time being you managed to get that out of his sytem but I fear it might creep back into him.

As most French people his level of English is not good enough to contribute here but he wanted to thank the snobs and poseurs. (I was a bit sad we didn't get any graph, but, well...)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling
    my friend just wanted to thank you guys for your expertise. For the time being you managed to get that out of his sytem but I fear it might creep back into him.

As most French people his level of English is not good enough to contribute here but he wanted to thank the snobs and poseurs. (I was a bit sad we didn't get any graph, but, well...)
    Wee...Wee!...oh..wait, that's oui right?...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Don't do it, I have the Flux and Nitrios and I could not see having just the Nitrios. I just got back from a training ride and I usally take the Flux but I was too lazy to switch the pedals. The Nitrios is awsome on a race course but once you put in agressive trail bike situation you can see it limitations. If I had to pick one bike it would be the Flux. It can be built up to racing weight or heavy trailbike. If you really want to feel a differance in performace, buy a set of Stans Olympic wheel set and rotors and turn some standard tires into tubeless and you will feel a bigger gain in performance than switch out the frame.
    Ed

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling

What ??????? My english is perfect

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I really agree with ED2525. On my Nitrous I'm running King ISO hubs, Stan's Olympic rims (347 and 341 grams), DT revolutions, and Kenda Karmas with Stans. Oh, yea and Stan's Aluminum rotors. The light wheels make a huge difference in how the bike feels. It accelerates (almost) like a road bike. My other wheels are almost the same, except they have Mavic 3.1 rims and steel brake rotors.

About the geometry, at least on mine, with F80X, I find the handling to be front tire dominated. If you've ever ridden a sport bike motorcycle (I used to have an expert roadracing license), you know what I'm talking about. To make the Nitrous really handle, you have to be aggressive with the steering inputs through the bar. Basically, you stick the front tire to go where you want it, and the rear will follow. That being the case, when you get in over your head, there is not a lot of forgiveness. Your weight is already foreward, the front tire is loaded, things can get out of control pretty quickly. It reminds me more of the Yamaha TZ250 I used to race than any other bicycle I've been on. It's an adrenaline rush: it makes you feel like Valentino Rossi.

On the other hand, if you're not in the mood to ride aggressively, the Nitrous isn't nearly as much fun. It just feels rough and out of place. Really, my steel hardtail with a Kenda Cortez 2.4 on the rear at 25 psi is more comfortable for cruising around on than my Nitrous.