Turner Homer

Movement in piviots in my burner...Help

Hay guys, today when I was getting ready for a ride, I picked up the rear end of my burner by the seat, and I could feel some sort of weird movment when the tire was lifted off the ground. I think it could be the top shox reduser on the swinger three way air, becasue when I wedge my finger between the rockers, and top of the shox, I could feel some slight movement, but there is no side to side play. Would bad redusers do this. Also how would I obtain some new redusers becasue I am not sure if manitou would sell them direct to me. Thanks for your help.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yep. You described the primary symptom for worn shock bushings / reducers. I'm not familiar with manitau shocks, so I can't help you with specifying the reducers.

I'm sure someone will come along momentarily and fix that.

banned
    This is interesting because the Fox reducers last a long time, perhaps due to the reduced sideloads produced by the narrow reducers.

I wonder what made the Manipoos different.

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    This is interesting because the Fox reducers last a long time, perhaps due to the reduced sideloads produced by the narrow reducers.

I wonder what made the Manipoos different.
    The Fox reducers on my Pack with DHX coil only lasted 6 months. Had to change them out 2 weeks ago.

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    The Fox reducers on my Pack with DHX coil only lasted 6 months. Had to change them out 2 weeks ago.
    You could say that again about manitou. I have not been too happy with their forks and shox lately.
    Dave

Too Much Fun

New question here. What don't you dig about Manitou?

Quote Originally Posted by dtrek4500
    You could say that again about manitou. I have not been too happy with their forks and shox lately.
    What don't you like about them? I ask because I've always felt like their build quality was kinda weak, but I sort of chaulked it up to my personal bias. I haven't run their parts since I had their original fork on my '88 Merlin! That was then; this is now.

I sort of see the fork quality heirarchy like this:

1)Fox-Marz (on par with each other)
    2)RS
    3)Manitooo

Just my 2cents and its barely worth that. I'm working on a Saturday so take whatever I say with a boulder of salt.
    - -benja- -

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    What don't you like about them? I ask because I've always felt like their build quality was kinda weak, but I sort of chaulked it up to my personal bias. I haven't run their parts since I had their original fork on my '88 Merlin! That was then; this is now.

I sort of see the fork quality heirarchy like this:

1)Fox-Marz (on par with each other)
    2)RS
    3)Manitooo

Just my 2cents and its barely worth that. I'm working on a Saturday so take whatever I say with a boulder of salt.
    Yeah their stuff is nice, I also feel the quality of their shox are better than their forks. I only say this because the skarab on the burner is not all that stiff of a fork but it is fairly plush fork with spv. Also take what I said in the previous post with a grain of salt, becasue I just got back from riding, and I got the second flat for this week. Life is good. Also do you guys know of anyone who sells the redusers on the web.
    Dave

Turner Homer
    I just found out universal cycles sells redusers, and does anyone know the size reduser that the swinger on the burner takes. Thanks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you have a manitou rear shock, that would explain the problem with the shock bushings, because they are smaller diameter than others, and don't last worth a damn. This from personal experience and when I called several bike manufacturers (that speced the manitou shocks) to ask/complain.

Fox shock bushings do wear out as well, not as much as others, but I've replaced a few.

The "reducers" are the parts that go into the eyelets of the shocks, those hardly ever wear out, and if there is a problem with them, it's a sign of a bigger problem. The frame manufacturer is responsible for adpating the shock to the bike, so if the shock company doesn't have them in stock, it's not really their responsibility. Call the bike manufacturer.

Pray that your lower shock mounting holes are not ovalized. That also creates play, and unfortunatly there isn't really anything that can be done about...
    Last edited by Jayem; 03-04-2006 at 01:31 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.