Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

Moron on a big bike. The future!

as some have heard, im gettin yet another turner to add to my collection. theres ike: the '96 burner and tina: the '05 flux. comming soon to a city near me, six pack and a nickel bag: its a frankenframe davids gonna assemble for me with 2 rockers and 2 dampers. should have it in a week or a month depending of the final call for the color.

heres the spec. all on the top is in hand except the frame. the mods show a combo of wants, needs and mostly haves depending on what type of ground im gonna ride on. might look into a zoke instead of the fox depending on what i find. plan to start in 5" mode then aquire more bits as time goes by to offer the 6" option. should be a blast for a old, untalented, non jumper such as myself. im hopeing for a sub 32lb bike. thoughts and input?

Turner RFX/Six Pack/RF6/Five Spot Project Bike
    “Six Pack and a Nickel Bag”

1. ’02 Turner RFX front triangle
    2. ’06 RF6 rear triangle
    3. 5 Spot rockers 5” travel
    4. ’05 Fox RP3 rear shock
    5. FSA Conix Pro Aheadset
    6. ’01 Marzocchi Z-1 MCR ECC fork 5” travel
    7. SRP/Marzocchi damping adjustment knob
    8. Wheels Manufacturing headset spacers
    9. GT Adventure Series 4 bolt stem 100mm
    10. Azonic DH h/bar 26” x 2 ½” rise
    11. ODI Ruffian Lock Jaw grips
    12. ODI h/bar plugs
    13. Salsa Flip Off s/post qr
    14. Thomson Elite s/post
    15. Serfas ti Kevlar saddle
    16. Sram X-9 shifters 9 spd
    17. Sram X-9 rear derailleur
    18. Sram X-Gen front derailleur
    19. Bontrager derailleur cables
    20. Bontrager derailleur housing
    21. Bontrager cable ferrules
    22. Bontrager Race Lite ISIS cranks 175mm 22/32
    23. Race Face bash guard
    24. FSA Ultimax Extreme Pro ISIS bottom bracket 73 x 113
    25. Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals
    26. SRAM PG-990 cassette 11/34
    27. SRAM PC-990 chain
    28. Lizard Skins chainstay guard
    29. Hayes HFX XC rear brake w/6” rotor
    30. Hayes 6” rear brake adaptor
    31. Hayes HFX XC front brake w/8” rotor
    32. Avid 8” front brake adaptor
    33. XT disc hubs
    34. Sun Ryno Lite rims
    35. Wheelsmith straight gauge spokes
    36. Velox rim tape
    37. XT qr’s
    38. Panaracer Fire XC Pro 26 x 2.1 kevlar tires
    39. Bontrager p/v tubes

Additional Possible Modifications

40. Woodman Rockster ML 100mm stem
    41. 6 Pack rockers 6” travel
    42. ‘05 Fox DHX Coil rear shock
    43. FSA Pig headset
    44. Fox 36 20mm axle fork
    45. Woodman Bill LTC disc hubs
    46. Bontrager Mustang Disc OSB tubeless rims
    47. DT/Swiss Competition Double butted spokes
    48. DT/Swiss Alloy Nipples
    49. Bontrager tubeless rim strips
    50. Bontrager Jones ACX 26 x 2.2 tubeless tires
    51. Stan’s sealant
    52. XT Hollowtech 175mm cranks32/22
    53. XT ES71 b/bkt
    54. Race Face bash guard

Or

55. Woodman Rockster ML 70mm stem
    56. Hope disc 20mm axle front hub
    57. Hope 8” 5 bolt rotor
    58. XT disc rear hub
    59. Hayes 6” rotor
    60. Mavic 521 rims
    61. DT/Swiss Competition spokes
    62. DT/Swiss brass Nipples
    63. Velox rim tape
    64. Pyramid p/v tubes
    65. Panaracer Mega Blaster 26 x 2.5 kevlar tires
    66. XTR 175mm cranks
    67. XTR DH chainring 44
    68. XTR bottom bracket
    69. E Thirteen chain guide
    70. Wheels Manufacturing bottom bracket spacers
    No, I'm NOT back!

Rides like wrecking ball
    Why not just a full RFX with both 5" and 6" plates?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Flyin Canine
    Love the name for the new bike. Mine is named "Dozer".

edit, so do you already have the rhyno lite rims. If not I would say there are better choices. Those mustangs will probably be lighter and stronger. Also I have been blown away by mavic F519 rims. They are about 100 grams lighter each than the rhynos and seem to be stronger as well. It really depends on your riding style what will work best for you but rim choice is a complicated one especially with such a good all around bike cause if you change from 2.1 tires to 2.5 tires the rim width comes into play also.

... I guess you won't be
    you musta just won the lottery! congrats!

heres the deal. yeah, ive got the ryno/xt discs. scored em in a trade years back and never used em yet and theyre ready to mount. the woodman/mavricks are my first chioce but were built for the non disc ready burner so its all discoed out. a new hub is nessesary to mount em on the rfwhatever. woodman cant retrofit the axle so, well im just tryin to save some cash for a trip back to az and moab before the shop goes nuts on turkey day and thats the straight skinny on the decision.
    the hope hub is spaced for a moto 120 (93mm) so it wont fit anything else till i get the cone upgrade. gonna save those for 6" d/h mode anyway. was thinkin of buildin some gold hooped wheels but cant find any worthyness in the states. will look sweet on the soon to be all blue anno frame with all black bits. dont ya think?

the reason this all came to be is a call with david regarding other biz and he offered me this package at a truly disgusting price. there was no way i could pass it up. the front end has some miles on it, the rest is new stuff. otherwise i woulda had to wait till next year for a pack or spot.

the name was born from a pals idea. i modified it to the nickel bag and a star was born. glad ya like it cuz i think its a friggin riot! thanx all for the input. keep it commin.
    No, I'm NOT back!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    will look sweet on the soon to be all blue anno frame with all black bits. dont ya think?
    Seriously, an Anodized front end? tell me more. Casey tried to talk me out of ano, but I'm still interested after owning an ano'd titus- that finish looked great even after lots of abuse.

You'll love the rfx w/5" rockers of course. rated for more abuse than the spot, which might be a good thing, seems like DT doesn't aprove of spot abuse.

Just another Homer

The friggin list

weighs more then 32 pounds. Sounds like a true dream bike though.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

thanx fm. i have 2 polished turners now and the last thing i wanted was a 3rd. i said to david i feel like a cookie cutter broke into the house and started messin with all my turners. it started like this: i saw a blue burner on the spec posts and it had gold anno rims. reminded me of my very old pk ripper in blue anno with a chrome landing gear fork and gold anno araya 7c's. a truely beautiful bicycle but it was stolen in 1980.

so i got to thinkin and asked david if we could do a blue frame. he said the work to reprep the rear sucked but we could anno it blue. that got me thinkin of a blue powder coat front and a black anno rear with gold hoops and black bits everywhere. david tells me to go pound hot sand and make up my mind, blue or black. just as i say blue, he says we should anno the whole thing. BLING_GO! we have a winner! too bad i cant find a decent gold anno rim outside of the uk.

now before you all call him and ask for the same, keep in mind youll get my tail in a sling. this is a personal favor and ill be payin big bucks for the work im sure. plus hes got enough crap on his plate with the new frames, photo shoots, test bikes and all that goes with a new season. also hes old like me and cant handle all the stress of 1,000 emails askin for a new color and proccess. take it easy on him.

if it goes right ill have pics in the next 2 to 6 weeks. wonder what color stickers it needs? maybe those '04 pack or spot ones with the black n white thing?
    No, I'm NOT back!

i know. im such a freak. reality is two fold. im a anal retentive wack job when it comes to my bike stuff. i also like to keep records for insurance reasons and to keep track of the boxes and boxes of crap i have here, what its on, whats been loaned to who and whats left for the next project. makes a easy job of findin out i dont need to spend a dime on the "six pack and a nickel bag" project other than the frame and cables/housing. cool huh? ok, so its kinda geeky and lame. ill admit it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    now before you all call him and ask for the same, keep in mind youll get my tail in a sling. this is a personal favor and ill be payin big bucks for the work im sure. plus hes got enough crap on his plate with the new frames, photo shoots, test bikes and all that goes with a new season. also hes old like me and cant handle all the stress of 1,000 emails askin for a new color and proccess. take it easy on him.
    Whoa, getting your tail in a sling is not my style! Sounds kinda gross actually, sorry!

All I would require is a phone # of whoever he recomends. Are you doing the bead-blasted rough style ano like santa-cruz & ellsworth uses, or the glossy translucent finish like titus?

next time i talk to him ill ask for the # or im sure he will answer a email dt@turnerbikes.com
    im goin glossy. hadnt thought of the flat finish till ya mentioned it, thought it over and stayed with the original idea. might be cool though huh? now that i think about it more, too much like a liquid, but then again, i could get some trek stickers and..... oh nevermind.
    No, I'm NOT back!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Good call on the glossy! That's what my titus had and it looked awesome (ano gold). It also looked new after plenty of gritty wet PNW winter riding.

Post some pics when you get 'er built!

next time i talk to him ill ask for the # or im sure he will answer a email dt@turnerbikes.com
    im goin glossy. hadnt thought of the flat finish till ya mentioned it, thought it over and stayed with the original idea. might be cool though huh? now that i think about it more, too much like a liquid, but then again, i could get some trek stickers and..... oh nevermind.