illiterate or intoxicated

Moab Lodging Recommendations?

I am going to Moab in March. Any Homers have recommendations for lodging in town?

Clean and moderately priced are my criteria.

Thanks.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

Rolling
    Moab is expensive these days in general.

Of the places I have stayed.

Gonzo
    Redstone
    River Canyon
    Ramada
    Super 8
    Apache
    Landmark

Apache and Redstone are the cheapest and believe it or not, not too bad.

We stayed the most at River Canyon...nice and clean but not super cheap. it's kinda the generic hotel though..nothing special except for the large outdoor hot tub.

Gonzo is the best but the most expensive.

Landmark was the sleeper for us (excuse the pun since we just did the white rim in a day). We got it when everything was sold out, it was not a bad price and it wasn't bad at all.

The only useful advice is to Avoid the Lazy Lizard Hostel. It's a hostile hostel....but really, it's bad.

But seriously, my wife and I had a great stay at the Apache...another cheezy under-rated place that rocks for less money Sometimes there is a lot of value in kitch character..

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Desert Garden #3, 2, or 1 (from most desirable to least because 3 is at the end of the sidewalk, with no walk-by traffic).

Old, clean, refurbished, secluded but close to downtown (a block north of Rim Cycles, behind the self storage units).

Reserve through Moab Central Reservations.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member

The Bowen and Bighorn lodge

These are the most bike freindly that I've found. The Bowen has a bike wash and old towels available along with a triple bad room if your trying to save money with 3 people. The Bighorn has a cool Knotty pine interior which id cool looking but the best thing I've found about them is the best breakfast in town at Smitty's instead of a continental.
    The adventure inn is nice too, they save there old sheets for your bike; the place is kindof small though.

Surfin' da mountain
    Dood,

The Big Horn has done me well for the past 3 years! There's a good Italian restaurant walking distance to the south and the Lodge's restaurant has a mean breakfast that is always good before a shuttle to the top of Hazard Co.

I normally go with a group and we double up in a room. If not full, the hotel will put our rooms together on the lower level. The end result is about $55 per person per night.

Wicketed
    Stayed at Bighorn last October and it was spot on. Would go back if I can ever afford a trip to the States again...
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

If you're in a camping mood

Check out Up The Creek. It's in town, cheap, clean and lots of trees. Just a couple of blocks from the main street through town. Best part is there's no vehicle traffic through the campground itself, cars are parked at the entrance and you walk to your tent.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Thanks a lot everyone. Great information. I really appreciate it.

Ride and Smile
    Dirty and cheap-go with the Lazy Lizard. Too bad all the good, close free camping is now illegal

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I've stayed at the Lazy Lizard a couple of times. I'd recommend the personal cabin and vote against their more Hostel like accommodations. It's not a bad place if you don't mind a few bums and winos hanging around or are looking to make some hippie friends. Their showers are some of the best in town.

Motel 6 is the worst motel I've stayed in in town.

KOA has nice cabins and great showers, although it's a tad past Moab (coming from I-70).

My best budget motel experience was at the Riverside Inn. It's clean, spacious and quiet.

If you're coming into town late, check out the Robber's Roost in Green River. It will save you close to an hour of driving late at night. It's dumpy, about on par with the Lazy Lizard, it's cheap, though, and has a nice history of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid having a shootout there with the Law.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Check out Up The Creek. It's in town, cheap, clean and lots of trees. Just a couple of blocks from the main street through town. Best part is there's no vehicle traffic through the campground itself, cars are parked at the entrance and you walk to your tent.
    We've stayed at Up The Creek. Great place, quiet, clean, nice showers, BBQ grills, ice, close to stuff in town. We'll be back there again this year.

banned
    Big Horn Lodge gets my vote. Dave

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The Big Horn is getting a lot of good reviews. That may be the one for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    I've stayed at the Lazy Lizard a couple of times. I'd recommend the personal cabin and vote against their more Hostel like accommodations. It's not a bad place if you don't mind a few bums and winos hanging around or are looking to make some hippie friends. Their showers are some of the best in town.

Motel 6 is the worst motel I've stayed in in town.

KOA has nice cabins and great showers, although it's a tad past Moab (coming from I-70).

My best budget motel experience was at the Riverside Inn. It's clean, spacious and quiet.

If you're coming into town late, check out the Robber's Roost in Green River. It will save you close to an hour of driving late at night. It's dumpy, about on par with the Lazy Lizard, it's cheap, though, and has a nice history of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid having a shootout there with the Law.

_MK
    Dude what are you thinking? The lazy lizard is a sh!t hole. I first stayed there in 97 when the cabins were fairly new and it wasn't bad at all. I made the mistake of taking my wife there last May and what a difference. I still haven't gotten the stink off my clothes. That place is a dump. STAY AWAY!!!!
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

Since this thread has made a comeback of sorts...

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

If anyone cares, I booked the Bighorn.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Canyon Lands Campground is much better than KOA!!!

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I stayed at the Slickrock Campground for THC last year, about a mile North of downtown on Main St.