mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Moab to Hurricane: Scenic Route (x-post Utah)

At the end of the month, I'm hoping to drive the scenic route from Moab to Hurricane, down 24, across 12 over and through the Dixie National Forest, down 89, then across 9 through Zion.

Is this viable that time of year, or is the pass over 12 already closed by then? Last spring I drove our Sprinter over that road while towing a big pop-up trailer. I ended up driving through 4 or 5 inches of unplowed snow. The rig and I passed that test, but I really don't want to be re-tested on it, if you get my "drift"!

I have to say that the Hell's Backbone section of road through Escalante is one of the coolest roads I've ever driven.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    The only section that they don't plow is the high country between Escalante and Boulder past Hell's Backbone, but I'd be surprised if it's closed by the end of October. I'd just keep an eye on the weather and maybe call Utah Highway Patrol before you leave Hurricane.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks, Crash! Now we just have to make it down there. Trying to fit Fruita, Moab and Goose into one week long trip might be tight, but crappy weather in Fruita or Moab would send us your way, for sure.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Kosmo

hells backbone has some of the best food anywhere, especially their potato pancakes.
    they grow their own food on site.
    enjoy