Silence and Thunder...

New question here. Moab in 1 day???

Never been there, but will be on a road trip in a few weeks and plan to stay in Moab for 1-2 days (hopefully). Would like to take part of a day to ride there. I'm asking for recommendations from y'all about:
    1] best place to rent bikes from?
    2] best beginner/intermediate trail to spend 3-4 hours on?
    3] best local lodging/restaurants?

The rest of the time will be spent sight-seeing and picture-taking of the surrounding parks/sights (typical tourist stuff...). I expect to make a bike-specific trip back there next time...

Thnx!!
    -bd-
    ...every day sends future to past...

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Best place to rent: Chilli Pepper. If you want a Turner, Poison Spider, both are pretty much across the street from each other on the North side of town.

Best place to stay? Camping off of sand flats road, above slick rock. A cabin at KOA isn't bad neither. There's also a hotel on the North side of town, close to Chili Pepper bike shop, a little north of it, that my friend loves to stay in.

Best beginner/intermediate trail? Probably Sovereign. Amasa Back would be a blast, too, bit more technical, but totally ridable and the views are to die for.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

... I guess you won't be
    best local hangout is probably Woody's Bar....definitely the best for boxcars and peoplewatching....

Gemni Bridges is a neat out and back ride, and if you have the stones, you can ride acros a long 15' wide stone bridge [hence the name and quite safe if you don't have an epilleptic fit whilst traversing said bridge! ] over a deep box canyon at the turn around point - it's fun, and perfect for a beginner/intermediate 3-4 hr ride....I unanimously recommend it.

I also have a soft spot for Moab Cyclery.....I've ridden with a few of the guys who work there and it's a great shop. It's also right next to the K-mart, so you can easily pick up some food and beer afterwards, or beforehand!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

No, that's not phonetic
    Moab in one day? Sure. Moab Centurion.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Nice.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

Silence and Thunder...
    ...wow! Sounds great, but I'll have to work up to that one...
    ...maybe that could be my next trip out there...
    ...every day sends future to past...

Old time thread

XJ
    Here is a thread I bookmarked a while back that discussed lots of options for places to stay, especially on the cheap. I saved it because there was a lot of good information. (Warning long...)

Moab Thread

Dont have any first hand experience to add unfortunately

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    If you want a Turner, Poison Spider, both are pretty much across the street from each other on the North side of town.
    Slickrock Cycles rents Turners not Poison. I believe they have both Spots and Packs. Shuttle the Whole Enchilada (Kokopelli, UPS, LSP to Porcupine) or out and back on Amasa Back. Isabella's make a great pizza, La Hacienda is decent mexican, and Pasta Jay's covers your carbs.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Slickrock Cycles rents Turners not Poison. I believe they have both Spots and Packs. Shuttle the Whole Enchilada (Kokopelli, UPS, LSP to Porcupine) or out and back on Amasa Back. Isabella's make a great pizza, La Hacienda is decent mexican, and Pasta Jay's covers your carbs.
    Slickrock Cycles, my bad. It is the one with the Turner DHR on the roof, right?

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

No, that's not phonetic
    Boycott Slickrock Cycles! They took over the Banditos building!

j/k.... sort of.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Speaking of Mexican, has anybody tried the Mexican joint on Main just north of Zaks? I looked at their menu as I was walking past and it looked tasty, but we already had reservations at Pasta Jays.

over researcher

Piece of cake. I do that every August.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Boycott Slickrock Cycles! They took over the Banditos building!

j/k.... sort of.
    I was wondering where that place went last weekend, good mexican food(for Moab), did'nt realize it was the same place till we were there for the shuttle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My Two Cents

With such limited time....

Ride: Slickrock Trail. So unlike anything else anywhere. Traction that cannot be believed. Side trip (ez) to Icebox Canyon is short, and mandatory for the overlook.

Eat: Pasta Jays, especially if you can make it a Wednesday. Lasagna night. Don't get there too late!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

wii!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Speaking of Mexican, has anybody tried the Mexican joint on Main just north of Zaks? I looked at their menu as I was walking past and it looked tasty, but we already had reservations at Pasta Jays.
    Are you talking about Miguels? I ate there weds the other night and it was great! I had a burrito that was as big as my head.

Nothing here
    If you want a cheap place to stay the Big Horn Lodge was decent although it was really dark with wood paneling they were cool about bringing your bikes inside the motel room.

Definitely hit Pasta Jay's, had a pizza, lasagna and a few beers and definitley hits the (5) Spot after a ride. Wasn't too fond of La Hacienda though, just kinda blah.

I would say ride Porcupine Rim cuz it's a blast. You can walk some of the harder sections and I bet you could still do it around four hours.

If you want to rent a Turner Slickrock Cycles is the place, they'll take good care of ya. On the 5-Spot I rented there I managed to destroy the Race Face bottom bracket and the Fox fork was spewing oil from the seals by the end of the trip plus the fork crown was creaking so bad it sounded like a creaky piece of plastic that was going to snap at any moment.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I was wondering where that place went last weekend, good mexican food(for Moab), did'nt realize it was the same place till we were there for the shuttle.
    wait... do you mean that little mexican joint next to slickrock cycles is now slickrock cycles? that place saved my life 3 years ago almost to the day. it was hot, we rode porc and by the end i was so tired, hungry and dehydrated i was walkin round the parkin lot with a nuthin but a shoe on one foot and a sock on the other, totaly disoriented. we went to that place cuz it was as close as one could hope for and the food was good. one of those huge burritos and 2 pitchers of water later i was able to drive to denver before i continued onto iowa.

slickrock cycles is a very cool shop with a helpful attitude. id shop or rent there in a second. oh and the owner is friggin hot! itll be just my luck that she sold it to some old guy and ill catch hell for that statement.
    No, I'm NOT back!