MK_
    carpe maņana

Moab\Fruita\Grand Junction in the early season

Despite the forecast of showers and thunder showers for Fruita/Grand Junction and Moab for the past weekend (March 17th), we decided to head out west and try to make the best of it. Started off in Grand Junction at the Ribbons trail, in cloud covered skies. By the time we reached the bottom, the sun came out and stayed with us for the entire weekend! Lucky us. Rode eagle and Holy Cross and sections of other trails in GJ on Friday, and caught Zippy Do Dah in the evening before sunset. Saturday we rolled in to Moab. Porc was covered with snow still, we heard reports of 7 miles of snow, so we reluctantly decided to skip it. We ended up getting a late start on the day and rode Amasa Back, then found the up-until-recently secret single track off Amasa, called Jackson. Very sweet, flowy, technical single track descent. Reminescent of Portal in technical nature, but much more flowy. Very fact, very cool. Sunday we heard reports of nasty weather rolling into Summit County and Boulder area so we opted for a short ride. Hiked up Hidden Valley trail (about a 20 minute hike-a-bike) then connected with Moab Rim. We were looking for north shore style stunts, but all we found were remnants of these. Just piles of wood. Dissapointing.

Only a few photos from this trip.

Knolly V-Tach on a wall ride in GJ (near Holy Cross trail head):

Me on Amasa. A nice, smooth, 4 footer, great testing ground for the new rockers. Managed to not even bottom out the suspension:

(dry run)

(take off)

(weee)

Finally, a shot of Moab Rim (while repairing a broken chain on a Pack):

Few more weeks and Porc will be ready for prime time. The upper single track and then the upper sections will need a while to be ridable, but the lower part should be ready soon.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Bite Me.
    Very nice shots Mike. I'm heading that way during the kids' Spring Break - dad may sneak a ride or three in around the GJ Fruita area on 4/3 or 4/4 - I love that place.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Have fun, man. I wish that area was a wee bit closer and that I didn't have to cross Summit county on the way. I got caught in the snow at Vail pass and by Eisenhower tunnel and on my ultra bald ultra high performance summer tires, it was a bit of a scare.

One thing I should add, Amasa Back still is a sweet trail. It might have gotten sanitized, but there still are tons of features that serve as nice drops, there still are built up stunts, and above all, the climb is continuously interesting, never a dull moment. Add to that the fact that there are lots of trails branching off of it and there's lots of good riding above the false peak (the valley overlook), it still remains one of the top trails in Moab.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Love this shot....