Thread: A Mighty Hole

mtbr member

A Mighty Hole

There is a mighty hole in the turner line-up...a carbon enduro machine. I know DT has said that he is fine with his customers purchasing from other vendors if he is not offering what they are looking for, but DT, is it wise to continuing ignoring this segment of the market? Looking at those companies playing in this segment (Pivot Mach 6, Santa Cruz Nomad, Yeti SB6c, Ibis HD3), isn't it time to see a Turner in the mix?

To the Turner faithful, given that the likelihood of seeing a carbon enduro from Turner is like spotting a unicorn, which of the above bikes will Santa bring you this year?

Signed, Forever Dreaming of a Carbon RFX!
    [SIZE="2"]Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you will suck forever.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    A carbon bike is a "mighty hole" in the line-up of a manufacturer who until recently has used aluminium exclusively?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    enduro machine... you mean a fat bike? you'll increase endurance after riding that $h1t everywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bond007jms View Post
    To the Turner faithful, given that the likelihood of seeing a carbon enduro from Turner is like spotting a unicorn, which of the above bikes will Santa bring you this year?

I'm not picky if my next bike will be carbon or alu, but at this point, I'd be surprised if Turner gets my money in the next 2-3 months which is my window to buy. It's a bit of a drag since I've been on Turners ('01 RFX & Highline) for a long time now, but I'm sure whatever I buy in the 150-160mm travel range will be an amazing ride. So far the Warden interests me a fair bit, but I have more bikes to demo!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I agree with you untill you said carbon.. after a year my burner looks prestine where as my girlfriends HDR looks quite beaten up.. anodized alu will look pretty really long and the weight penalty isnt that bad.

I do however with the new ibis comming out find myself wanting one, as 140 rear travel isnt all that much.

160/160 with 66-66,5 HA would have been awesome.. but untill then the burner works fine.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The new Ibis looks good but the Warden has the geometry dialed as far as I'm concerned. Lots of good bikes in that class right now. Could be a new 150-160mm bike in my near future and im a huge Turner fan but right now I think I would go elsewhere.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Patience. I suspect that DT has been blindsided by the "joy" of doing business with Asian carbon producers, and that new stuff is coming, just slower than everybody wishes.

In the meantime, I will continue enjoying the dickens out of my Czar.

I could have used a fat bike yesterday like the King Kahn, but where I live, that window is so small that I am trying mightily to resist!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Living the Dream
    I agree with you. For me, Carbon makes sense for an XC trail bike or race bike. I have a CZAR on order and have had carbon hardtails. For all mtn, I have a spider comp and it is getting the sh$t beat out of it on technical trails. I had to send the rear triangle to CALFEE to get a crack repaired. When it comes time to replace my spider comp, it will probably be with an all mtn aluminum frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdakaR View Post
    I agree with you untill you said carbon.. after a year my burner looks prestine where as my girlfriends HDR looks quite beaten up.. anodized alu will look pretty really long and the weight penalty isnt that bad.

I do however with the new ibis comming out find myself wanting one, as 140 rear travel isnt all that much.

160/160 with 66-66,5 HA would have been awesome.. but untill then the burner works fine.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    If I had to buy one today it would be the HD3. Luckily I don't have to buy one today.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    "As so many have you mentioned the C word, the cost of each model is staggering, which makes the spaces between each that much bigger.

Sorry I did not get on that plane earlier and start building carbon bikes when the others did, I had NO idea that the demand would be so high! Having gotten used to jet lag with the Czar we are now ramping up for more from same factory, but not in time for Interbike...." DT 9/5/2014

But, back to the RFX or whatever moniker DT wants to give it...maybe the Rajah?...the market is there, but as Renegade stated so well, "Meanwhile, his customers are buying Banshees, Ibis, Intense, Knolly, Norco, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Transition, Yeti, etc. You can wish all you want..., If DT isn't interested, you are wasting your masturbation." Renegade 9/2/2014

So, that said, which Enduro bike is on your short list?

mtbr member

A Mighty Hole

I shopped for a new Trail/AM bike last spring. I seriously considered the Burner. It gave me incredible confidence on tougher trails and showed me what my Tallboy is missing. But in the end I went with the Pivot Mach 6. It was a tough decision, but I liked the M6 just a bit better and it was only a few hundred bucks more for a beautiful carbon frame with a Float X.

I still wonder sometimes about what it would be like with a Burner. A carbon Burner with new school geometry and a 5.5ish lbs frame would definitely get my attention.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AdakaR View Post

Any chance of pictures of your burner and your GFs HDR? I would love to see the difference since I will have an HDR soon and have an ano 5-Spot which still looks good after 3 years of riding.

Thanks,
    Bob

mtbr member
    I still really want to know what the story is with this and when it's going to be available, don't care whether it's made of aluminium, plastic or cheese...

mtbr member
    Ordered a HD3. Couldn't wait any longer.

The flux is still an awesome bike but my son is needing a new steed so I needed to move on...

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by bond007jms View Post
    There is a mighty hole in the turner line-up...a carbon enduro machine. I know DT has said that he is fine with his customers purchasing from other vendors if he is not offering what they are looking for, but DT, is it wise to continuing ignoring this segment of the market? Looking at those companies playing in this segment (Pivot Mach 6, Santa Cruz Nomad, Yeti SB6c, Ibis HD3), isn't it time to see a Turner in the mix?

Unfortunately most people are like fish - and go after whatever shiny object put before them.

For me, carbon isn't a big deal. The durability of aluminum trumps the minor weight savings of crabon.

Santa is bringing me a Burner, BTW.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I still really want to know what the story is with this and when it's going to be available, don't care whether it's made of aluminium, plastic or cheese...

Turner has told me repeatedly the only changes to the burner is the tri-lobular tubing. No changes to geo.

This bike is set up with a 160 mil fork.

mtbr member
    Interesting, I guess its just the "look" of the photo that makes it appear really raked out then. That frame certainly looks badass, wonder if the head tube is the same length as the current one?

mtbr member
    "Oh, I WANT to (build an updated RFX), but the challenges for a company this size is immense... Maybe we should do a Kickstarter!!" DT 11/28/2014

Frame material? Take your pick, metal, carbon, or cheese! As long as we are willing to pony up for the prototype costs, it can become a reality. Now, where did I leave that spare $200k lying around?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    From the title...this thread is not what I thought it was going to be about.

Kiwi that Flew

A Mighty Hole

Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    If I had to buy one today it would be the HD3. Luckily I don't have to buy one today.
    ^what he said^^

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

A Mighty Hole

Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    ^what he said^^
    Agree. Fortunately my 2008 spot with a pushed rp23 still works great. I will wait and if it doesn't happen, probably get a burner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Riding slowly since 1977.