Thread: Max rotor sizes

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Max rotor sizes

Appreciate if you guys could set me straight on some numbers which you seem to be able to recall in your sleep:

What's max rotor size for Spot?
    What's max safe / warrantied rotor size for 06 Talas 130's?

Off to the alps in October though normally doing mainly rough XC in UK. Thinking of Marta's but not sure they up to it. Lousie FR's seem to be popular with the homers? I weigh 200lbs all up.

Cheers all.

(I know I could look it all up but it normally takes me ages and its like mtb wikipedia on here - it just encourages laziness! Thanks again)

Bring Back Buck
    Hey SmartS,
    I run 180's both front and back on my spot. I do have Nixon's up front though, but I don't see why you couldn't run at least 180's on a Fox Talas130.
    tscheezy has had good success with the Louise Fr's I think. Personally, I preffer hope. But it's each to their own I guess.
    B.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Fox's 32mm stanchion forks are under warranty for up to a 203mm rotor.

mtbr member
    I am not sure of your riding area and preferences but if you are off to the French Alps and you want a do it all fork and brake,sell the Fox get a Pike air u turn from Tim flooks and then stick a set of 203 mm Juicy's on at the front and some 185's on the rear. you will be more than happy. IMHO.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I've ran a 190mm rotor in the rear of the spot and there was room to spare. I've also ran a 210mm rotor on a QR 2004 Z1 without any issues. But it always made me nervous. Since you're a big boy and you'll be riding long, steep terrain, you should go with Louise FRs. 190/180 minimum.

I actually am starting to change my mind about Mono M4s. A buddy of mine just got a set after he had enough frustration with the Juicy 7s and especially after he went riding with Rock Shox engineers who told him they like their brakes grabby, and not to modulate. The M4s with goodridge lines with stock pads and floating rotors are good and pretty damn sexy to boot. You could get 200/180 setup in those and later transfer them to a real fork if you end up replacing your Fox misunderstanding.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    The M4s with goodridge lines with stock pads and floating rotors are good and pretty damn sexy to boot.
    I have these brakes, and I have the 2-piece rotor in the back. It's not a "floating" rotor, the idea is that it's joined to the carrier in such a way that when it heats up, it can expand radially, rather than warp back on itself because it can't "stretch".

Seems to work too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cheers, Guys,

I know the Pike is a preferred fork but sorry to say budget just won't allow a fork change too. Will be going 203/180 now I know I can. I have some 160 shimanos I can use for light stuff. Just didn't want to spend £300 for something only marginally more powerful albeit with a lot more heatup resistance.

I thought Juicys squealed alot especially in the more 'humid' english climate though the one's I've ridden were good. My friend has floating rotor M4's 203/180 which are pretty good but not so amazing given the piston count and hardware. They look great on his orange BLT but sorry to say for me they're a bit too showy for me.

Think its the Louise FR's. (Then a new fork for Chrimbo)

Cheers to all.