mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maverick speedball help please :)

X post from Maverick forum...

Anybody know how to change the oil on a speedball post? I didn't read the service instructions fully when stripping mine to clean it and I've managed to blow all the oil out, it went with quite a pop but no damage done other than an inoperable speedball

There must be a mechanic out there some where that knows how to refill one of these? Otherwise I'm stuck for riding for a while as I don't have a spare post, Doh!

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Paul5s; 12-28-2006 at 05:53 AM.
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

not so super...
    In true homer fashion:

Trash it and get a Gravity Dropper
    Nothing to see here.

Custom User Title
    Maverick does not make a small enough Speedball (27.2) to fit Turners so you probably won't get much help here. We have Gravity Droppers. (Waiting for Fo's witty response... )

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    In true homer fashion:

Thanks Sean I think...

The Turner is in bits right now and I've been trying to get a gravity dropper in the UK for 6 months but the importer doesn't seem to be able to keep up with demand, that or they can't be bothered getting back in touch
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

mtbr member
    Riverside are not that good, go direct to Gravity Dropper or ask Larry
    Stay off the brakes

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    X post from Maverick forum...

Anybody know how to change the oil on a speedball post? I didn't read the service instructions fully when stripping mine to clean it and I've managed to blow all the oil out of mine, it went with quite a pop but no damage done other than an inoperable speedball

There must be a mechanic out there some where that knows how to refill one of these? Otherwise I'm stuck for riding for a while as I don't have a spare post, Doh!

Thanks in advance
    Where did the oil blow out of?

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Where did the oil blow out of?

_MK
    I managed to blow the seal and all the oil from the bottom of the inner 'stanchion' for want of a better word. I was removing the brass slider but hadn't correctly bled all the air, I forgot to release the lever then bleed the air again, so it didn't have much pressure but enough to pop the seal and all the oil.

I've managed to get it back together and working again finally, it took a bit of experimenting with the oil volume but it all seems fine when I tried it. 10wt oil worked ok the stuff that came out seemed heavier but that was the heaviest I had. I'm kind of wondering if I've lost a bit somewhere too as I'd have expected some kind of floating piston to separate the oil and air but I couldn't find anything on the garage floor and it works fine without one? Anybody else got one stripped down yet to let me know if I'm missing anything?

It seems quite basic inside really, now all I need to do is sort out the side to side play it's developed I'm guessing it's just a case of replacing the brass slider guide. Next time I remove it I'll be sure to fully release the pressure first
    Last edited by Paul5s; 12-28-2006 at 05:52 AM.
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by dpdsurf
    Maverick does not make a small enough Speedball (27.2) to fit Turners so you probably won't get much help here. We have Gravity Droppers. (Waiting for Fo's witty response... )
    Huh? what is that supposed to mean? Maverick makes killer products and I would never bad mouth them. My Mav SC-32 on my Ventana is by far the stiffest fork I have ever had. I am thinking about dumping the 66SL and replacing it with another SC-32 since the 24mm axle makes for a way stiffer front end than with a girly 20mm thru axle.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpdsurf
    We have Gravity Droppers. (Waiting for Fo's witty response... )
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Huh? what is that supposed to mean?
    I was wondering that myself. I hadn't ever seen you post anything witty before.

Semi-on-topic, just based upon looks, the Maverick seems to be a "beefier" post. I'd be more inclined to have a Speedball than a GD, if I were to swing the adjustable post way. Although as Mr. Paul found out, apparently they're not without dangers of their own.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I was wondering that myself. I hadn't ever seen you post anything witty before.
    That was me being sarcastic of course.

Huh? what is that supposed to mean? Maverick makes killer products and I would never bad mouth them. My Mav SC-32 on my Ventana is by far the stiffest fork I have ever had. I am thinking about dumping the 66SL and replacing it with another SC-32 since the 24mm axle makes for a way stiffer front end than with a girly 20mm thru axle.
    Will you have enough $ left over for your gravity dropper after all that

... I guess you won't be
    you'll never blow a seal w/ one of these baby's! And they always work!

Salsa Lip-Lock!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    I am thinking about dumping the 66SL and replacing it with another SC-32 since the 24mm axle makes for a way stiffer front end than with a girly 20mm thru axle.
    and no doubt heavyer too? its perfect for ya fo!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    you'll never blow a seal w/ one of these baby's! And they always work!

Salsa Lip-Lock!
    I'd love to see you raise the saddle with that while still pedalling
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

mtbr member

web site issue

Go to the Maverick web site and click on "contact us" -- I had a problem with the seat clamp parts and I got immediate response and free parts!
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

banned
    You guys don't get it. The GD OWNS the MAV. In fact, the Speedball is worthless. It doesn't work.

Yeah... that's what I said. The Speedball doesn't work. There is nothing "speedy" about it. It doesn't make me feel like a "Maverick". It just makes me feel like Fo feels about girlie 20mm through axles. Silly flexy things.

But why doesn't the Speedball work Colossus?

Damn... I am glad you asked that!

Well just imagine an office chair. Everyone has heard the comparison. "The system works like a raising and lowering office chair". And that is why it doesn't work. Now take that same chair with the Speedball installed, and try some gnarly DH on it. Sheesh... you can't even reach that silly lever can you? No... that damn office chair was set-up for XC rolling or something because you are feeling pretty top heavy as you bounce off the metamorphic rocks. You are too busy grabbing the armrests. You can't even shove your elbow into your crotch to stop yourself from urinating. Nope... the Speedball isn't working for you....

Now install a GD on that office chair. Sweet. Now I have a lever on the armrest. I have a couple of settings that I use often. When you rip up the DH on that chair now, you can easily grasp the bars, use the lever, AND shove your elbow into your crotch at the same time. Now that works. All lowered down and done with the DH... just spinning slowly in office chair circles.

Killer products? Sure, if you want to die on the DH in your office chair having to take a piss or having pissed all over yourself. Gravity Dropper makes liver products. You live in your office chair not pissing. You have held your piss and now you can step out of the chair and head to the bathroom just as civilized as you began the day.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    Now install a GD on that office chair. Sweet. Now I have a lever on the armrest.
    I think the Speedball is available with a remote now. And there is an aftermarket upgrade as well, for those who purchased it without the remote. Currently backordered at Speedgoat. I'd bet the Gravitydropper is still quicker, by design (as you said).

As far as having to pee (and holding it in), how 'bout some Kegel exercises?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    In true homer fashion:

On behalf of all Homers, I apologize for SSINGA's rudeness. We're mostly a helpful group of guys here. To wit:

The proper method for changing the oil in a Maverick Speedball seatpost is to first drain the old oil out, then refill it with the correct volume of new oil, in the correct viscosity.

You're very welcome!

Kidding aside, I rode one of those things, and would take it over a GD any day of the week. But I don't think you'll see one in a 27.2 size.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s

Otherwise I'm stuck for riding for a while as I don't have a spare post, Doh!

Anybody but me see the irony in this?
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Anybody but me see the irony in this?
    couldn't resist, could you?

Members who have read this thread: 0