mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Manitou ISX-6 Evolver Air fit 08' RFX ?

I have a 2008 XL RFX and would like to try a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 air shock. I do not know if the resiv. would clear the downtube ? Anyone know. Thanks.

mtbr platinum member
    I have one on a large 06 RFX with plenty of clearance but that probably doesn't help. Not sure if the downtube angle or lower shock mount areas have different clearances, etc.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    I have one on a large 06 RFX with plenty of clearance but that probably doesn't help. Not sure if the downtube angle or lower shock mount areas have different clearances, etc.
    Any pic's ? Thanks.

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Any pic's ? Thanks.
    None at full compression. My shock returns from being serviced on Saturday so I can take some pics then. Oh, I guess technically mine is '05 now that I think about it because it was the 6-Pack back then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou ISX-6 Evolver Air fit 08' RFX ?-dsc_0003.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was thinking of mounting right side up. The reservoir doesn't hit the down tube under full compression mounted as pictured ?

mtbr member
    I'm guessing no....

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    So how do these shocks perform? Better than the older Swingers? I sure hope Hayes is prepared to stock parts, unlike the old Manitou, that didn't have rebuild parts, and not even bushings/reducers for the eyelets.

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    So how do these shocks perform? Better than the older Swingers? I sure hope Hayes is prepared to stock parts, unlike the old Manitou, that didn't have rebuild parts, and not even bushings/reducers for the eyelets.
    I've been pretty happy with the shock. I wouldn't compare it to a swinger at all other than maybe the way it looks. The ISX-6 has a traditional shim stack inside instead of any SPV platform crap. I have only tried a DHX-Air on my RFX, so that's all I can really compare it to, but in terms of bump sensitivity, the Manitou is far more sensitive to small bumps regardless of compression settings. Even though it's more sensitive to small bumps the shock doesn't overuse the mid-stroke travel at all like the DHX-Air did. The shock has on-the-fly bottom-out adjustment (4 positions), which is supposed to increase ramp-up in the last 50% of the stroke. However, when I increase the bottom-out, it's really noticeably more harsh in rough sections on the trail.

I don't think the small bump absorption is as good as my old Push'd Vanilla RC that I had on my Turner XCE. My other critique of the shock is that I think it's overdamped in the high-speed rebound(?). The rebound adjustment knob offers plenty of range, however, when in a section with repetitive big whoop sections it feels like it can't keep up (even if I speed up the rebound significantly). I'm having ISO Suspension revalve my shock right now to speed up the HS rebound, so I'll let you know if that fixes that feeling. Finally, I've never been able to get full 2" of stroke out of the shock. I'm at least 1/8" shy, even if I deflate the shock and lean on the bike. It must have a pretty decent bottom out bumper, or top-out bumper.

Oh, forgot to mention about the HS and LS compression knobs. The low-speed compression knob adjustment is very subtle. The high-speed compression knob is far more noticeable and you can add too much in a hurry. I've found that it's best to not get too carried away with lots of LS knob, and minimal HS; it's far better to start off adding a little HS and LS at the same time to get you in the ball park, then back off the HS if necessary.
    Last edited by bikerx40; 04-15-2010 at 05:29 AM.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Can the user adjust the shim stacks?

mtbr platinum member
    No, probably not. There's a pretty good service manual out there to rebuild it, but unless you're pretty compitent at rebuilding rear shocks, it's probably best left for companies that specialize in it.

mtbr platinum member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I was thinking of mounting right side up. The reservoir doesn't hit the down tube under full compression mounted as pictured ?
    No contact. I'll take a picture this weekend.

mtbr platinum member
    Not even close to touching the downtube on bottom-out. Again, not sure if the newer RFX's would be any different, but I'm sure with this much clearance it woudn't touch on the newer models either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou ISX-6 Evolver Air fit 08' RFX ?-isx6.jpg  

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    So it fits. So what is so good about it compared to everything else out there? What's so good about it to make people move from highly adjustable coils to an air shock (that may or may not be rebuildable).

mtbr platinum member
    I already mentioned the pros and cons so make your own conclusions. Coils will undoubtedly perform better, but will weigh a bit more unless you're running a Ti coil. Choose your own adventure. There are plenty of threads about this particular shock.
    Last edited by bikerx40; 04-23-2010 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    So it fits. So what is so good about it compared to everything else out there? What's so good about it to make people move from highly adjustable coils to an air shock (that may or may not be rebuildable).
    I wouldn't compare an air to a coil , a coil is pure performance. Now when compared to another air shock it has quite a bit more adjustments and from the reviews better midstroke support. `Personally i'd never sacrifice performance for weight, depending on the application an air shock might perform better than a coil .