Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

magura louise replacement pads

I wish to consult the wisdom of the homers, looking for replacement pads for my 06 Magura Louise FR 06, anybody has experience with these (really cheap) pads from www.discobrakes.com ??

http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=10&p=113&

Thanks

mtbr member
    I would really strongly suggest sticking with Magura pads - most people that I know that venture away from them regret it and end up purchasing new ones before the "alternates" are worn out.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    +5 on sticking with Mag pads. I've been riding Louise FR since '03, two generations on two bikes, and every time i've tried something else I've been unhappy with the results. At this poitn I just stick with the Maggie performance pads. Last me 9-12 months, never let me down.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    word. buy cheap, get cheap. go magura. bti is a great source for oem magura bits so see if yer lbs has a account with them.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    I have been using the "compound S: medium" pads for the Louise FR from that outfit for a year now with extremely good results. They are nearly as quiet as stock pads, last a long time, and generally perform well for me. If I were you, I would buy a single set off eBay, try them out for a few months, and if you like them buy more. That's what I did. At $5 a pair, what do you have to lose?

Here is a thread on those pads I started on the brake forum last year.

I do have to say that the stock Magura pads truly are excellent though, and every other aftermarket pad (aside from the medium compound from OBE) has sucked bad.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

interesting. saw those a few weeks back but passed without a thought once i saw they werent oem. now ya have me wonderin if this would be a good idea as spares for my '07 bat's on the dhr. i know im gonna go through pads like a woman goes through.... well, pads.

any long term feedback on their ability to handle extended desents yet?

ot: hey cheeser, i have a set of '05 fr's i picked up used which came with 190/210 rotors and IS adaptors. im gonna keep the brakes but i have no need for the rotors and adaptors. interested? pm me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Cool. I can add them to the pile.

Hisforever
    Fock,

i thought i had some spare rotors and adapters.

this is another league

No, that's not phonetic
    You should see the tire pile.

ill assume thats a no. holy crap! ya have me beat by a mile.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Now with 3 more inches!
    Tscheezy, you seem to be rather partial to the Louise FR, do you prefer it to the 07 or 08 BAT? I've got the 07s and love them, and just picked up 08s for my wife's bike - the caliper seems much cheaper on the 08, though.

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by shpitzs
    I wish to consult the wisdom of the homers, looking for replacement pads for my 06 Magura Louise FR 06, anybody has experience with these (really cheap) pads from www.discobrakes.com ??

http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=10&p=113&

Thanks
    funny you would ask here... the pads that ran out on me at manara were the more expensive C compound. they cost a lot more and only lasted for one DH day - so i figured might as well get the S compound...

No, that's not phonetic
    I've got Louises from '05 through '08. The old ones (like in CC's pic) rule. I am not a big fan of the BAT system because of what it does to the lever reach adjustment, but if you have decent sized hands it's not a big deal. I do like the post mounts on the 07-ish brakes though. The calipers on the 08's gained a split lever clamp which is sort of nice, and they left a little more room under the lever for trigger shifters plus they have a bleed port now on the reservoir like Juicys, but the caliper did get really heavy and weird and the carbon lever shape is terrible. The 08s did away with the monoblock and used a 2-piece caliper system which requires about 10 huge bolts to hold the mess together. The rotating hose connection is sort of handy though. Overall I think the 07s (w/o the BAT adjustment) were my favorites. Had they kept the old caliper design, the 08s would be in the running if you put alloy non-BAT levers on.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    I have found that the Jagwire pads are about the best around (aside from the Magura brand of course) Zero noise, great grip, decent price.

That being said I will probably have to try those fleecebay pads that the Tscheezy suggested - the price is certainly right...

Anybody (CC or Tscheeze) want to throw a #15 adapter in the mail for me?? I could use one to replace one I stripped out
    Last edited by SilverSpot; 11-18-2008 at 07:30 AM.
    MCM# 2007.1

~~~~~~~~
    I've been running the cheapo version pads from bikefridge/discobrakes and no complaints. Old louise FR's, the new Louise, and shimano's. Another guy here has tried the more expensive ones and haven't heard any complaints from him either.

The pads are thicker, and we got some rotors from them also and they seemed thick too but I forgot to measure them.

I've got a good pile of maggie brakes and parts as well...

Hisforever
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    You should see the tire pile.
    This statement does no justice with out pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    I have found that the Jagwire pads are about the best I have found (aside from the Magura brand of course) Zero noise, great grip, decent price.
    I've had good luck with the Jagwire replacements too. That's all they had at OTE in Frutia (or it coulda been Poison Spider in Moab) when I was on a bike trip last April and I can't tell any difference from the OEMs. Maybe they won't last as long but so far they're holding up fine...... Of course I haven't ridden that bike in two months so that helps.

ill assume from what you and the cheesemiester say that the levers, lever bodies and calipers are all interchangeable from '05 and on? just wonderin what my options are as i too dont care for the bats influence on reach or the reach adjustments influence on hydro pressure. thinkin it might be cool to rty the fr levers in part of in whole with the '07 calipers.

discuss.
    No, I'm NOT back!

silverspot: im not aware of a #15 adaptor. whats it fit? theres other options as ive recently found out. just gotta know what ya need and where to look.
    No, I'm NOT back!

~~~~~~~~
    I ran the old louiefr levers, pre-bat, with the new post mount calipers for over a year with no issues. But since I've never done a side by side comparison with a complete 07 bat setup I can't say if the power is reduced. Worked fine for me, light rider + 203 rotors.

just gave it a un unassembled look see and it seems as if the old fr lever assemblies will slide right into the new bat lever bodies/master cylinders. yet to really compare em side by side or give it a shot but hopes are high. just might be the perfect combo with the '07 calipers. may even order some magura braided lines later on for the added protection and what id think to be a better overall feel as braided should be less prone to expansion under pressure.

another light (165lbs) rider w/ 203/180 rotors. last i tried a pair of large rotors (185's) i got rear wheel lockup so im thinkin the odd pairing will be the ticket on the dhr as ive found them to be on my last 2 rfx's.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    The lever assemblies (lever blade, pivot pieces, plastic carrier) are all interchangeable between the 05-07 styles both BAT and non-BAT. The new 08s (the year they introduced the rotating banjo fitting on the caliper and the hinged split clamp at the lever) are a bit different from the previous generations. The lever blade is a TINY bit thicker: an 05-07 blade will fit in an 08 master cylinder, but a bit loosely, but trying to put an 08 blade in an older master cylinder will cause binding and the lever won't return nicely. The plastic carrier the blade sits in on the 08 is different compared to the old ones. The pivot hardware (the pivot for the blade and the plastic piece that pushes on the master cylinder itself) in the lever is the same though. Why they changed is beyond me since not that much is really different, but different enough to cause confusion.

To recap: mix and match between 2005 and 2007 at will. Don't expect 2008 stuff to play nicely with older stuff.

Silverspot- email me your address. tscheezy AT yahoo DOT com. I have lots of #15 adapters.

trail fairy
    Re brake pads, I found kool stops worked great for me on my Louise FRs even better than std, I ran braided hoses way back then they were a great brake apart from the ergos with shifters, etc!

From 07 I keep everything pretty stock, never even bothered with braided hoses, no need the performance for me was as good if not better than the FRs with braided hoses and std pads seemed a better quality from the FR ver so I haven't bothered to see if Kool Stop even make an aftermarket pad for them, only replaced one set of pads in on that set!

08s yet to bed em in properly not yet ridden, but ergo wise huge improvement, I think your exaggerating on the number of bolts there Cheesy, I have too big ass bolts holding the split calipers together, aesthetically I think they're an improvement, way easier to setup over 07s and earlier versions, levers are always a personal thing but for my big hands its always one of the features Ive liked about Magura and struggled on others, I'm the odd one out again but works for me, though I setup my 07 bats for a small rider with hands with no issue using the lever adjust and Bat so I am unsure why you've found that a negative!

From 07 on Ive kept my brake pads std they seem to be quiet in all conditions Ive used em in wear well and no issues with power or consistency for me, 09 the lever blades are supposed to be wider and stiffer and retrofitable for 08s ergos on 08s are the huge improvement over earlier models,and ya can run ya shifters inboard [the right way] or outboard and easy bleed does it for me as does the hose swivel, nice refined brake for me!

One big difference from 07 to 08 is the damned allen key removal of the brake pad, thank god they went back to the split pin idea, I had to drill mine out as they were so tight from the factory I broke the allen key head in the bolt, this was a major PITA, split pin way better thanks Magura, they've improved everything Ive asked nearly!

Magura rotors are tops and the Venti rotors are awesome!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    silverspot: im not aware of a #15 adaptor. whats it fit? theres other options as ive recently found out. just gotta know what ya need and where to look.
    CC - the #15 is the one pictured below. It's for a 210 F or 190 R. I believe that you have no less than 2 in your pic of your set-up (or they could be #16s - hard to tell).

For a decent list of adapters & parts - look here: http://www.magura.com/7thsenseCMS/index.php?id=48&L=1

Tscheezy - email headed your way... Thx.
    MCM# 2007.1

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn

any long term feedback on their ability to handle extended desents yet?
    Not bad as long as you run a biiiiig rotor up front. I had a set for a while and they were ok on extended descents. They'd be fine for spares.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast