Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Magura hooked me up!! (Louise BATs)

713 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  trailadvent 
#1 ·
I've been running old school Louise FRs, 2003 vintage, the ones with the raised reservoir and a cap with a single bolt, for a few years. They've been on my singlespeed and were developing a problem with a master cylinder. The problem was that if you pressed the lever slowly, it would compress all the way until it hit the handlebar, without engaging the caliper what-so-ever. I was building up a bike for my girlfriend and re-designated those brakes for her build. I figured I better fix the issue. I contacted Magura asking if there was a way to fix this. Matt, at Magura, got back to me right away, offering a replacement. I said sure, and figured it was already great customer service, given the age of the brake. He soon replied that these were out of stock and offered to send me a new master cylinder. He was concerned that the brakes would not match and offered me a smoking deal on the matching master cylinder. I got these yesterday and mounted them up. I actually got a bit selfish and put the 07 master cylinders on my bike and put mine on GF's, but hey.

I weighted the BATs and they were 120g on the Ultimate scale, so not the most accurate measurement. The old ones, with fluid purged, came in the same. The lever blade looks unchanged. Kudos for QC as there was residual Magura blood in the master cylinder, I'm guessing, from having been tested.

The bite adjustment works great. You can set your brakes to engage either super quick or pretty late, the range is good. Another improvement is removal of any type of looseness on the lever. No more lever rattle like on the previous model. The reservoir looks bigger. The brakes seem a bit stronger, too, as if more fluid is being pushed when you engage the lever. All this from a quick spin around the block. I'm about to make the most out of our 73 degree day and go for a long ride.

_MK

See less See more
#2 ·
awsome! cant wait to use mine too. i really dug the adjustable throw levers in moab. makes it a tad easyer for small handed guys like me to find a engagement point that works well. just got a set of goodridge lines from brown santa today. weeeeeee! in the build box they go till sometime in jan. hell, thats only 2 or 3 more months.

#4 ·
My 07 Louise have been really impressive too.

At first i thought the lever was pretty ugly but now i think thety look cool!

They do seem to hold a lot of oil and the lever feels awesome, i guess that's why they have the strange shape.

#5 ·
tscheezy said:
Magura CS gives Turner's CS a serious run for the money.
True, but I needed that magura CS far too often.

#7 ·
Awesome MK_ wait till they bed in after the first ride, my 04 have been flawless and still running sweet, I won't be changing em soon either eveyone who rides them says wow.
I have 07s on my Spot and they are even better, I can't believe my 180mm/160mm rotors feel stronger than my 04s with 203/185mm combo dam theyre nice but I worry about the carbon levers, oh well RFX is for going big.

Enjoy and give us your after first ride impressions.

Jayem I don't know where ya come from if it can be broken you seem to be able to break it:D you remind me of my buddy Momentus:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.