Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

magura experts: louise fr's on a boxxer?

ive been through more adaptors than i care to admit, each one promising to mount my '05 louise fr 160mm IS caliper to my '09 boxxer with a 203mm rotor. so far none have worked. hell, none are close. anyone have the definitive answer? ive drained the bank account on this deal. the worst was tonights $80 shimano adaptor. yeah, i said $80 retail. i paid much less obviously but even then the cost should be embarassing to shimano. i think i have other options but id really dig it if i could use the 203 for easy swaps between wheelsets and i dont think ill need anything bigger.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don't know if they ever changed it, but for the longest time the boxxer has always had a specific adapter (IE: "boxxer" adaptor by whatever brake company). It has NEVER had IS mounts, this was true well into the 2000s. It's a weird thing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

DGC
    mtbr member

Magura rear caliper

CC,
    This may or may not help you. I say that because I have never delt with it concerning a Boxxer. As already said by Jayem, the Boxxer does have and always has had its own adaptors. Now, I have a 203mm rotor on my Marta up front with a Pike. What it took was a rear Marta caliper plus the magura #16 adaptor to make it happen. the fron 160mm caliper would not work. There could possibly be the same issue with your set up, in that you need the bigger rear caliper to make any of the adaptors work on the Boxxer with the Louise fr of 05. Don't trust me, but maybe check this out with Magura and see what they think. Maybe worth a look unless someone else in here can confirm what is up.
    Does your Louise look like my black Louise in the picture?
    The other picture is the Marta with a 203 rotor and a rear caliper on the Pike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

No, that's not phonetic
    How about a 210 rotor? Are you man enough to handle another 7mm? I have spares if you want a freebie.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

-> SickLines.com <-
    I've got an extra boxxer IS adapter if you want it that will work (converts a 160IS adapter to work with a 203mm rotor on a boxxer), $10 and its yours.

this one- http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/sho....php?photo=835

heres my issue with the #19. i have the longer ears like the top caliper in maguras list so that 1 is out. lord knows i tried. i also have the shimano boxxer adaptor which doesnt work either. then theres the dh adaptor that you linked and its also a no go. even the #18 failed. each is either too short or too long so the pads wont center on the rotor.

ive got a 210 and a 190. ill give those a go and see what happens but confidence is not high. superstock warned me about this yet i thought i was exrta clever and could overcome it. i think i need to be on the lookout for the smaller caliper. thanx for all the help and offers so far.
    No, I'm NOT back!

yep. ive got that same setup with the black long eared caliper. nuthins worked so far. i just registered for maguras tech forum but im waitin for the secret handshake before theyll let me post. might just call them tomorrow instead.
    No, I'm NOT back!

~~~~~~~~
    you need a short arm caliper.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    ...my '05 louise fr 160mm IS caliper...
    ...i have the longer ears like the top caliper in maguras list...
    Those contradictory statements had me momentarily confused.

i can tell ya i needed a 160 to 180 IS adaptor to fit the 180 rotor in back (shimano pt # SM--MA-R180S/S A-stan mount adaptor) and both calipers are identical so i assumed.....

school me if theres more to it. im as curious as i am confused by this rather expensive mess im in and i know you have tons of experience with these brakes.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Given identical calipers, fork IS mounts are positioned in such a way to run a 20mm larger rotor than frame IS mounts would require. Since we were talking about forks all along, I assumed you meant 160mm up front (the short arm caliper takes 160mm rotors, and long arm 180). If we were talking about the rear end, then the short arm would require a 140mm rotor and the long a 160mm (ignoring any adapters). This would be the same for any IS system not using adapters.

The take home message is that the long arm calipers require a +20mm rotor size compared to the short arm given the same application.

Do you have a 200mm rotor (not the 203?) That should work with a #18 adapter and your long arm caliper. If the short arm plus the #18 works with a 180 rotor, then the long arm plus the #18 should work with a 200 rotor.

no 200mm in my stash and ill be damned if i can find my #18. time to clean up the home shop i guess. its funny cuz im usually anal in my orginization so its rare that i cant find what im lookin for.

ebay is fresh outta 200's and short arm calipers today. grrrrrrrr....... no worries. i have a diff project in mind if fed ex makes it to the door.
    No, I'm NOT back!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    160mm IS rear = 180mm IS front.

I ran into a pickle a while back trying to make a 210mm rotor work with a Kowa 160SS fork. I had a short arm caliper Lousie FR mounted with a +50mm bracket PM to IS on the 66SL. The Kowa was a Boxxer mount. I had a massive headache myself. I tried every reasonable bracket combo, got creative with a variety of adapters and eventually I came to a conclusion that the Boxxer mount is effectively a 180mm IS mount; meaning that if you were to hook up a 160mm caliper to it, you would need a 180mm rotor to work with it.

If you have a long arm caliper, which I think is what you have, you need a +10mm bracket. I don't think anyone makes those, therefore, you need a short arm caliper and a +30mm bracket.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

No, that's not phonetic
    no worries. i have a diff project in mind...
    Gonna jam a stick in the spokes?

It blows my mind that boxxers still use their own special caliper mounts. WTF?

Committed
    New '10 Boxxers use post mount, and lose the funky Boxxer only caliper mounts.

todays project: candycorn finally gets her homer status. pics to come.

no plans to jam a stick in my new wheels but it may be less frustrating than this adaptor thing. thats right... i finally listened to you guys and theres hope for me yet. 2 new pro 2's showed up last week and now i have my light wheels built for the dhr. with xc tubes, sl rotors and 8 less spokes, i dropped a full pound over the others so hope springs eternal.

i saw the new pm's on the boxxer but decided to save the cash and get a '09 team.
    No, I'm NOT back!