Thread: LX BB question

mtbr member

LX BB question

My friend is buying my old burner, and trying to build it on a budget. The lbs has an older octalink lx crankset pretty cheap, but we're not sure about the bb size. I know with the xt it was 75x113, but it think the es-51 size is different. Anyone know?

Thanks Guys.
    Ken

Bite Me.
    The older LX cranksets using the octalink spline require the es51 bottom bracket in 73 x 121mm for Turner frames. The bottom bracket is only compatible with the lx M572 crankset.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    The older LX cranksets using the octalink spline require the es51 bottom bracket in 73 x 121mm for Turner frames. The bottom bracket is only compatible with the lx M572 crankset.

Thats just what I needed to know, and the search function isn't working for me again.

Ken

~~~~~~~~
    there was two different lx octalink configurations, the original(oldest) lx octaclink works with the xt bb. I'll verify the part numbers when i get home tonight. But just to let you know that I've got a couple turners running the xt bb at 73x113 with the lx cranks.

Is the crank your lbs a 170 by any chance?
    and if so would you rather have a 175?

(compulsive horder of old shimano parts...)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    You won't believe how many shops don't know this simple bit of information. BTW, I have three pairs of LX hollowtech and all use the 121 or 126mm bb.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    LX M571 cranks are the older XT ES 70/71compatible ones, LX M572 are the newer ES-51 only cranks. Either crank set is excellent.

Naestep would have been proud of me.

mtbr member

Got it built up.

The guys at the lbs hooked us up. The bb was the 73x121 and the black cranks look great on the black burner (they were the 175mm). My bud couldn't quit smiling. I think his wife is going to be ticked if he tries to leave the bike inside to stare at tonight! He's coming off a Sugar, and the new ride is way plusher. I recently grabbed a new Spot, and gave him a deal on my Burner with the XR rockers.