mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Low volume sleeve RP23 on DW 5Spot

Hi, is anyone here running a low-volume sleeve on the RP23 of his/her DW Spot? What are your thoughts?

At ~200lbs I seem to be bottoming a little too easy on smaller drops, and could use a little added end-travel support, but don't want to lessen the sag. Strangely enough I am having trouble finding a 1.5mm thick plastic so far so I'm waiting with DGC's mod suggestion.

Tanks for any thoughts!
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Give the mod a go first. I'm in exactly the same weight range as you. The mod helps a lot. I used some plastic cut from the clear cover of a CD spindle, its about 1.2mm thick.

Although I think the standard air can would work as well, the mods cheaper tho.

mtbr member
    The standard volume RP23 sleeve drastically changed the ride characteristics on my dwSpot when compared to a high volume shimmed RP23. Small bump compliance is greatly reduced, ramp-up starts in the medium bump range, and the shock feels bottomless on drops and jumps. I want to say the bike seems faster overall, but I'll reserve judgement until I try out the shimmed RP23 again.

Something in between a DGC shimmed high volume can, and the standard volume can might be perfect. A full size shim for the high volume can will be my next experiment.

mtbr member
    Guys
    With all the respect to Turner, Fox and the whole MTB industry I see these issues as a turnoff.
    It's not Turner specific!. 2008 575 RP23s needed to be Pushed before it was fixed by Yeti/Fox in 2009 and I am sure there are other examples. Again, "playing" with plastic shims on top of the line frames is just unacceptable in my view. Frames were designed with a specific shock in mind and should have been tested and optimized before release???

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    Guys
    With all the respect to Turner, Fox and the whole MTB industry I see these issues as a turnoff.
    Hit this on my spot running a shimmed RP23 at about 35% sag...
    Low volume sleeve RP23 on DW 5Spot-37-lance-halloween-drop-3.jpg
    From my perspective the 10 minutes it took to install was worth it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    gunnerjc thanks. Did the DGC mod with a CD spindle plastic. Extremely simply mod. Now I need to ride a little and see if the mod is OK or I need to modify it.

GB, I have no problem with the need for a mod. The RP23 doesn't have the more advanced settings of bottom out of the DHX-air, or various coil shocks, and it's pretty standard that a proper shock for a ~160-170lbs average rider will no be ideal bottom-out wise for a ~200lbs rider (me). The RP23 is a great shock and its not worth the hassle of moving to another shock. DGC's mod is SO simple and enables better finetuning than a large vs small volume change.
    Last edited by tald; 04-07-2010 at 01:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    Hit this on my spot running a shimmed RP23 at about 35% sag...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37 Lance-Halloween-Drop-3.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	532546
    From my perspective the 10 minutes it took to install was worth it.
    You are a great rider on a great bike!.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Lncnuvue, I was wondering if you were running a pushed shock or shimmed sleeve when I saw those socal pics. Figured big moves like that would require more bottom out resistance than the stock shock.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm
    Lncnuvue, I was wondering if you were running a pushed shock or shimmed sleeve when I saw those socal pics. Figured big moves like that would require more bottom out resistance than the stock shock.
    Pushed first then I added the shim for some extra BO resistance and playfulness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    DGC's mode is SO simple and enables better finetuning than a large vs small volume change.

Fox doesn't make a small/low volume air can for the RP23, standard and high volume are the only options.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Pushed first then I added the shim for some extra BO resistance and playfulness.
    What weight are you and what PSI are you running in your shock for 35% sag?

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    What weight are you and what PSI are you running in your shock for 35% sag?
    I weigh about 145-150 geared up and run about 110psi in the shock.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    You are a great rider on a great bike!.
    Great bike, not sure about the rider

jrm
    mtbr member

Just buy the low volume sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by tald
    Hi, is anyone here running a low-volume sleeve on the RP23 of his/her DW Spot? What are your thoughts?

At ~200lbs I seem to be bottoming a little too easy on smaller drops, and could use a little added end-travel support, but don't want to lessen the sag. Strangely enough I am having trouble finding a 1.5mm thick plastic so far so I'm waiting with DGC's mod suggestion.

Tanks for any thoughts!
    Im 200 lbs on a sultan. Like you i thought id do the shim mod first and then if the results didnt please me then id get a VX sleeve. Well im here to say just go buy the low volume sleeve.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Im 200 lbs on a sultan. Like you i thought id do the shim mod first and then if the results didnt please me then id get a VX sleeve. Well im here to say just go buy the low volume sleeve.
    have you tried a "low volume sleeve"?

I'll say it again, there is a HUGE difference in ride quality between a shimmed high volume sleeve and standard volume (what you are referring to as low volume) sleeve.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I'm sending mine to Push as soon as I get the money. I weight 170 and I have 175psi on the shock + the shim.. I'll bottom out very easy :-(

mtbr member
    Great bike, not sure about the rider
    Don't be so shy , hitting such drops requires some serious skills . I just need to write down not to get any second hand bike parts from You

serhij

mtbr member
    Guys
    It's not Turner specific!. 2008 575 RP23s needed to be Pushed before it was fixed by Yeti/Fox in 2009 and I am sure there are other examples. Again, "playing" with plastic shims on top of the line frames is just unacceptable in my view. Frames were designed with a specific shock in mind and should have been tested and optimized before release???
    What you said seems logical BUTTTTT, do you realy think that Fox gives enough information to the frame builders???? and to the small frame builders???

A frame takes 1, 2 or 3 years of development.... but in the best cases you can get a new fox only a few months before their release... so you can't redesig your frame to work well with the shock. You only can design a frame around an old Shock and pray that the next year shocks works the same.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I'm sending mine to Push as soon as I get the money. I weight 170 and I have 175psi on the shock + the shim.. I'll bottom out very easy :-(
    Maybe there's something wrong with the shock. I can't imagine running more psi than body weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well, rode a little and DGC's mod rocks! The ride still feels very supple and very similar to before but you really feel the shock plushly kicking in toward the end of the stroke.Wow amazing what the right knowledge and a small piece of plastic can do

BBW
    mtbr member
    Maybe there's something wrong with the shock. I can't imagine running more psi than body weight.
    With my other DW Spot I had the same issue so I don't think the shock(s) are bad...
    (I sold a large frame to get a medium one)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I weigh about 145-150 geared up and run about 110psi in the shock.
    How big of a shim are you running?

I'm going to start experimenting with the shims, if for no other reason, its an easy mod to do and I can never leave well enough alone.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm
    How big of a shim are you running?
    I believe it is 135x18x1.2mm. It's the only size that I've tried.

jrm
    mtbr member

I meant low volume canister

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    have you tried a "low volume sleeve"?

I'll say it again, there is a HUGE difference in ride quality between a shimmed high volume sleeve and standard volume (what you are referring to as low volume) sleeve.
    yes i did try the shim using a HV can but like the LV can alot better.