mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Lots of bad news out there but here's a good dog story

We can get overwhelmed with the crap that's happening daily all over so I thought I'd tell you a good dog story.

I was riding on an easy trail a few days ago. Lots of dogs. At some switchbacks I came up on an owner and his wild-eyed pooch off the trail, he's holding her so she's not in my way. I say "good dog and thanks" and continue.

On the way back I come up on them and the dog (a she) is running kind of funny. Her hindquarters just aren't in line and she's dragging her left leg. I say "hip dysplasia?" Turns out she had had a stroke years before and was 11 now. They had been playing ball, she jumped up, yelped, fell back down and was paralyzed in her hindquarters. The kind of stroke that's localized, this one was in her back. Her left leg doesn't work now.

The guy says physical therapy consisted of months and tons of massage and working with her in a pool moving her legs. He walked her around holding her rear in a sling to keep her in some kind of shape. After a long long time she started moving her legs on her own.

He said the very first time he saw her get herself up off the floor and walk on her own she went over to her ball, picked it up and basically said to him "can we play ball now?"

That was in reply to "does she get tired, is she the one who chooses to go hiking?" He said she's the one at the door asking him to go hiking. To see her navigating down the trail, happy as any other dog after what she'd been through was pretty cool. I was kicking myself as I drove home that I didn't get any pics of the courageous doggie.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Here's a good horse story to go with your doggie story.

I was stopped at a local trail junction when I heard the clip-clop of a horse heading down the singletrack I was about to climb. But it wasn't your normal clip-clop, it was a faster ClipClopClipClopClip, amplified by the rocky trail.

From around the corner appears a woman in a bike helmet, jogging, leading the horse by a lead attached to its bridal.

"Good day to take the horse for a walk?" I asked.

"Well, my husband told me..." and she goes into a whole unsolicited story about how she made a deal to enter the horse (and herself) in a 100 mile trail ride if she could drop a few pounds in the process. (The husband is a crafty guy, apparently.)

As we're chatting, the horse is rubbing the side of his head all over her shoulder -- half playful, half... I dunno, romantically? "Frisky?" I ask.

Well damn if she didn't tell me that her sister invented what's basically a Camelback for the horse, injecting water into the horse's mouth through a stainless steel tube that's drilled into the bit. She controls the water bottle, and squeezes water in on a regular basis.

Having no way to wipe its mouth, the horse uses her shirt as a towel to get rid of the drool.

Later in the ride I (almost nearly) ran into the pair -- them up, me down. "I ride on the uphills to work his back legs," she told me.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    They had been playing ball, she jumped up, yelped, fell back down and was paralyzed in her hindquarters. The kind of stroke that's localized, this one was in her back. Her left leg doesn't work now.
    This doesn't sound like a stroke but a spinal injury, which is not uncommon. They should find a vet who does acupuncture as animals respond to it far more successfully than humans. Results tend to be quite impressive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I wanted to say the guy mentioned acupuncture

but it sounded too touchy-feely...maybe it was acupuncture, not massage. Or both.

Anyway, he did go on about the specific type of stroke he claims his dog had (not in the brain but a clot fokking something up somewhere in the body, like in her case a clot in her spine) and that it was more common in dogs than humans. He specified the type of stroke because I'd asked him if the stroke had affected her personality.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Roy
    mtbr member
    Interesting. It sounds like he knows what he was talking about. Good story XC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I know there's a lot of Homer dog owners

I googled the symptoms and came up with: Fibrocartilaginous Embolic Myelopathy (FCE). No wonder I didn't remember what it was! Here's a linky about the condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fibroca...fce/page1.aspx