mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Looking to buy a new RFX/6-Pack

I'm currently riding a Yeti 575 Enduro Pro 20, and want to get back into riding the local freeride park, plus the occasional trip out west to Bootleg, Whistler, etc. I love the 575 more than any other bike I've ever owned, but I can only afford one bike right now, hence my interest in the RFX. The 20 has a burly build kit (I went with the Van 36RC2, and Thomson stuff instead of the carbon post & bar that comes standard with the 20), so I'm set as far as parts. So...

* Who out there has large RFX's with DHX coil in stock right now?
    * Which Turner sellers do you guys deal with? I'm familiar with Go-Ride after 3 Yeti purchases, so I'm leaning that way, but...
    * I'm 6' even with a 32" inseam, so I'm assuming the L would be the right size for me. If I'm wrong, please advise! Most frequent use will be on local rocky trails, but I'll also be using it for hooligan stuff.

Any opinions from RFX owners as to their all around ability would be appreciated as well...

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
    Will do math for food.

Knollician
    We are very similar people apparently. I just bought a RFX this week from Go-Ride (they are great). I also am coming from a 575 which I loved. Notice the past tense on that sentence

One ride on the RFX and you will feel right at home, but you will notice a much more comfortable, compliant ride. The weight difference wasn't all that big of a deal as my climbing in tech sections was actually better on the RFX. I also am a a one bike guy and this is the bike for me.

Go for it, you'll love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Your current build kit ought to be right at home on the RFX. I'm a couple inches taller than you, and went XL so I could run a fairly short stem. Plus I lean towards the HD XC side of things, and like a fairly long cockpit.

Seems like an L would be fine for you, unless you're wanting to run a 50 mm stem or something like that.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 6' even and I ride a medium. You'll find all kinds of rider height/bike size combos here. Best bet is to track some down and throw a leg over them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I went ahead and ordered a large ano gray RFX from Von at Go-Ride. Should get here Wednesday, and you can bet I'll be doing the build that very night. Stoked!
    Will do math for food.

mtbr member
    Congrats with the new frame purchase. I too had a 575, really loved that bike/frame and if I wanted more of a lighter/alll-mountain ride again I wouldnt in a second think about another frame. I do like a more burly, FR'ish bike though and with swapping components back and fourth I chose the Pack/RFX over the 575. I could slam through the rocks and ruts faster or atleast cleaner on the Turner than I could with the Yeti. I liked the slacker geometry better to even though the Yeti could rip up hills, I cant so I like my bikes to excell on the decsending part of the trail.
    Pearl & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I would strongly advise you to get a medium. I have a Large 5 Spot and over Christmas I picked up a large 6 Pack. It felt HUGE. For reference I am 6'1" with 34 inseam. I didn't feel comfortable on it at all. I ended up selling the Pack and going back to my 5 Spot and the drawing board for a bigger bike. Friend of mine recently got a medium Pack. I instantly felt at home on it. I am considering getting another pack, because of it and it will definatelly be a medium.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    MK - The L RFX has a 1/2" shorter seat tube and a 1/10" shorter eff top tube than the L 575, which feels spot on for me on trail rides. Of course, if this was going to be my "freeride" only bike, I'd go for a M. I spoke with Von at Go-Ride, and we ended up agreeing on the L w/ a short (70mm, for starters) stem. Here's hoping it works out! Thanks.
    Will do math for food.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, I am 5'10.5" and got to ride a large Pack with a 90mm stem a little while ago, and it did not feel huge at all to me. I am used to shorter tt lengths, but it did not seem that big. I used to have a large SC Heckler with a 23.3"tt length, but the SA was a little slacker. I have fairly long arms if that means anything. The large Pack still has good stand over clearance. The 24.3" tt length is misleading because the SA is fairly steep at 72 degrees and makes the tt length seem a little shorter than it actually is.

If a guy is more into freeriding, the medium will feel a little better. The large that I tried would feel a little more comfortable with a 70mm stem.

At 5'10.5" and having tried the large, I could get away with riding both sizes.
    Last edited by ronny; 03-26-2006 at 01:10 AM.

mr. wonderful
    amaner-
    i went from a large 575 to a large 6 pack and it feels better than great. i'm 6 foot even with a 34" inseam and a 6'-2" arm span, fwiw. I did drop stem length 20mm from what I had on the 575 too.

have fun, you'll love it!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm about 5'11", and I love my medium pack. About a 32-33" inseam.

I run a 100mm stem, and I love it because it's so nimble and I can whip it around at speed. The generous top tube (23.5) means that I don't have to worry about it cramping me up too much, and the wheelbase/chainstay length is still long enough to give plenty of stability. If I used a large pack, the bike would probably be a little more stable when going downhill, but I'd be sacrificing some of the nimbleness and flickability, which is of more concern to me because while I love going downhill, that's a fairly small percentage of the total time that I'm riding the bike.

If I was any bigger, I'd probably have a large, but I basically fit "medium" bikes just right usually. The "large" bikes are usually built with a 6'er in mind, and it's just a little bit too large for me usually, and like I said in the above, I'd rather have a little smaller than a little larger.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks everyone for your responses. The frame & CK headset arrived today, but the build will have to wait until tomorrow night. Gorgeous welds and attention to detail! Can't wait to test her!
    Will do math for food.