mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Looking to buy DHR what do you think?

I've been looking at all your awesome DHR's and have come across a '06 for sale. Is there anything you can tell me about that years frame? Good/Bad? Im about 6 feet tall the frame is a medium, will it fit? I wouldn't be able to try it out before I buy it but from what I gathered this seems to be an awesome bike. Any input? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Unless you like big DH bikes, the medium in the square tube versions should fit just great. am 6' even and rode that size, even know a few taller riders that were on mediums and prefered them to larges.

I assuem it has a DHX on it?

Pretty solid and simple bike (typical turner)...not much to go wrong. Worst case scenario, replace the needle bearings in the linkage (get them from Turner for 1-2 $ each).
    IMHO, the DHR is a pretty lively. It likes to pop off of little bumps and ripples in the trail more than some other DH bikes. Makes for more of an active bike that wants to double up small bumps rather than blindly plow and stick to the ground. It is fun.

Only thing I think could that might be 'bad' is that the pre 07s were 135mm rear and 73mm bb. I dont consider this a negative myself, but if you already own 150 wheels and 83mm cranks, they wont work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    thanks, somethings to consider. And yes it has a dhx on it. It would be my first downhill bike. My trail bike has a 135mm hub so I guess I wouldn't know the difference. On a downhill bike is it better to have a 150mm hub?

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by jahguideini
    thanks, somethings to consider. And yes it has a dhx on it. It would be my first downhill bike. My trail bike has a 135mm hub so I guess I wouldn't know the difference. On a downhill bike is it better to have a 150mm hub?
    Without the experience of owning one there will be others far more qualified than me to comment on purchasing that particular model, but if its sound then thats a heck of a first DH bike, if price is right frame bits check out and fits good then go for it, wished I looked on E-Bay before buying new last year, what a starta bike

I liked my 83mm BB and 150mm hub but its debatable which is the best option, some would argue the extra width can get hung up in ruts or rough stuff, I never found that an issue, if ya got lots of wheelsets then it can be an issue adding another standard into ya stable, I wouldn't worry too much about it, its not too difficult to re lace a new hub int a good wheel, or sell it on and buy a new set when ya get a new frame, which should be a ways a way!

Good luck
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jahguideini
    ... On a downhill bike is it better to have a 150mm hub?..
    IMO it makes very little difference. In theory, a 150 rear hub should build a stronger wheel as the spokes form a triangle with a wider base..but this is not the case with all hubs.....

I rode an 05 DHR with a 135 rear, an 03 Foes fly with a 135 rear, now a Sunday with 150 rear (plus a bunch of non DH bikes over the years)...cant tell any difference in riding characteristics related to the wider rear hub.

As I stated above, I think it would only be something to consider if you had parts already that fit one size and not the other.

If the $$ is good and the bike is in good shape, It would make a great DH bike. Low maintanance, simple, durable, and rides great.